Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullguard

Options
  • 02-04-2014 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I have 60 odd days left of my Bullguard2013 subscription (3 year licence), It has 'firewall' 'back up' 'spam protection' the works, and I never had any problems with it, never got any viruses - but should I renew it?
    It will cost me 99Euro to renew.
    a friend of mine was saying Microsoft Security essentials was free and I should remove Bullguard and install that...I'm interested as Microsoft is a trusting brand, but isn't a paid anti virus program better though?
    My sister had AVG installed on her laptop (the free version) and she got a nasty virus on it... so I wouldn't trust AVG after that.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mark17j wrote: »
    I have 60 odd days left of my Bullguard2013 subscription (3 year licence), It has 'firewall' 'back up' 'spam protection' the works, and I never had any problems with it, never got any viruses - but should I renew it?
    It will cost me 99Euro to renew.
    a friend of mine was saying Microsoft Security essentials was free and I should remove Bullguard and install that...I'm interested as Microsoft is a trusting brand, but isn't a paid anti virus program better though?
    My sister had AVG installed on her laptop (the free version) and she got a nasty virus on it... so I wouldn't trust AVG after that.

No anti virus product free or otherwise will protect you 100%. Keeping your pc, web browser and plugins up to date is also crucial to remaining protected.
    Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is fine, although it is a basic anti virus program only with no bells and whistles Internet security suites provide. Windows has a Firewall and some editions have a backup and restore utility.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I find Avast to be the best of the free ones. MSE seems to have quite a low detection rate - I use Avast, along with Malwarebytes and Windows Firewall. I cant remember the last time I had a virus, although I am careful about what I download.

Advertisement