Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSG v Chelsea - UCL Q/F k/o 7:45, RTE

• 02-04-2014 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Chelsea travel to Paris having lost there last 2 away league games to Palace and Villa.

Eto'o is expected to miss out, Cole is out and MVG continues his recovery so wont be invovled for Chelsea who have Ramries available on the back of a domestic ban. Salah and Matic are both cup tied for the UCL.

Expected line ups :

PSG - Sirigu, Jallet, Silva, Alex, Maxwell, Veratti, Motta, Matuidi, Lavezzi, Cavani, Ibra

Chelsea - Cech, Ivan, Cahill, JT, Azp, Ramires, Lamps, Willian Oscar, Hazard, Torres.

I cant see it being a good night for us away in Paris but we're capable of pulling a result out of the bag tonight to bring back to the Bridge for next weeks 2nd leg.

I expect 2-1 to PSG.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Looking forward to this, haven't seen any PSG performances this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Chelsea are quite limited for once with subs, the ones I would like to feature are Schurrle and Luiz

Its a big night for Lucas Moura who knows that this champions league run is his last chance to convince Scolari he is the man for the number 10 role ahead of Oscar, lets hope Oscar has other ideas.

Big Night for Oscar therefore, Hazard too (stupid links with PSG, history in french legue) and Ibra (history with Mourinho) who has 40 goals in 42 appearances this year.

For some reason I am hopeful, I think we may get lucky and win 3-1.
    Anything could happen though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

RasTa wrote: »

Could be a typical Jose away to a big team set up so I woulnt be surprised if we set up 4-3-3 and not 4-2-3-1 like I said above but considering the 4-3-3 was destroyed by Palace and their FBs bombing down the sides and shutting down the middle of the pitch we could be easily stopped if PSG setup right tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

RasTa wrote: »

Seen a couple of Ligue 1 matches and the Champions League humiliation of Leverkeusen, but this is probably their biggest test so far this year, so I'm really looking forward to it as well

Chelsea are quite limited for once with subs, the ones I would like to feature are Schurrle and Luiz

Its a big night for Lucas Moura who knows that this champions league run is his last chance to convince Scolari he is the man for the number 10 role ahead of Oscar, lets hope Oscar has other ideas.

Big Night for Oscar therefore, Hazard too (stupid links with PSG, history in french legue) and Ibra (history with Mourinho) who has 40 goals in 42 appearances this year.

For some reason I am hopeful, I think we may get lucky and win 3-1.
    Anything could happen though

Ya Lucas could replace Lavezzi in my suggested XI's above, meaning PSG would probably go 4-3-1-2 but Matiudi, Verrati and Motta are more than capable of popping up further forward, they could also drop in Cabaye who isnt to bad.

I'd love if we played Luiz and Ramires but I reckon it'll be Mikel or Lamps next to Ramires tonight.

If we can somehow shackle Ibra for large periods of the game, we'll go a long way to stopping PSG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya Lucas could replace Lavezzi in my suggested XI's above, meaning PSG would probably go 4-3-1-2 but Matiudi, Verrati and Motta are more than capable of popping up further forward, they could also drop in Cabaye who isnt to bad.

I'd love if we played Luiz and Ramires but I reckon it'll be Mikel or Lamps next to Ramires tonight.

If we can somehow shackle Ibra for large periods of the game, we'll go a long way to stopping PSG.

Yeah Id prefer that combo in midfield too, I think its a possibility, here's hoping.
    We are 3-1 to win in 90 mins tonight, could be a very very cheeky bet :D

Yeah Id prefer that combo in midfield too, I think its a possibility, here's hoping.
    We are 3-1 to win in 90 mins tonight, could be a very very cheeky bet :D

Its worth a shot anyway, if we score 1st we'll be hard to break down, I cant see Jose going to gung-ho tonight but I reckon we've to score at the very least to have an away goal to bring to London, Cavanni and Ibra, especially, are lethal and score from any situation so we'll need an away goal to stand a chance over the two legs.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

score draw

Agueroooo wrote: »
    score draw

I'd take it right now although I'll have to see our starting XI before I gauge my optimism for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I fancy a score draw here too, 1-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Should be an interesting game. I have never seen this nouveau riche PSG play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Would love a score draw but think we will lose 2-1 which wouldn't be the worst result in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Expect Chelsea to progress but not sure if they'll manage an away goal.

No doubt Jose has a few tricks up his sleeve.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There's a lot of hype in the PSG camp about this game. I am worried that Chelsea could concede a couple if the heads aren't tightly screwed on at the back - any defensive flaws will be exploited.

I have no idea what PSG are like in defence, to be fair. They would want to be pretty terrible if Chelsea are to get an away goal.

It will be a tight game but I'm not expecting Chelsea to take much away from it, being totally honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

1-1 here, 0-0 at the bridge, chelsea through on the away goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

There's a lot of hype in the PSG camp about this game. I am worried that Chelsea could concede a couple if the heads aren't tightly screwed on at the back - any defensive flaws will be exploited.

I have no idea what PSG are like in defence, to be fair. They would want to be pretty terrible if Chelsea are to get an away goal.

It will be a tight game but I'm not expecting Chelsea to take much away from it, being totally honest.
    In my opinion, Chelsea are definitely favourites for this tie.

K4t wrote: »
    In my opinion, Chelsea are definitely favourites for this tie.

I wouldnt be that optimistic anyway, I reckon its a very close, flip of a coin for me as to who will go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

in before the 1-1 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Really fancy Chelsea and my gambling side has had two small bets

Chelsea 11/4....

and

Wincast ...Chelsea win ,Torres anytime goal scorer 8/1..

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Really fancy Chelsea and my gambling side has had two small bets

Chelsea 11/4....

and

Wincast ...Chelsea win ,Torres anytime goal scorer 8/1..
    That's brave but those prices look too short to me. Way too short.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

in a way im more excited for this than the utd match yesterday. Ibra <3 i really hope chelski and mourinho dont do their thing of bus parking and grinding the game down to its most boring though :s

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Torres anytime goal scorer 8/1..

Surely that's anytime goal scorer between now and the rest of the season!:pac:
    (Love you Torres, ya barren aul striker ya)

Àndre is up front.

tumblr_mnsvxdrx1H1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Imagine had we played a similar team against...oh I dunno....PALACE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Couldn't have asked for much more than that really, game on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

1-2... Hazard, Ibrahimovic, Schurrle. Gonna stick a few bob on that.

Couldn't have asked for much more than that really, game on!
    It's not officially the team yet according to twitter but it's been announced by Canal+.

Happy with that team TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mourinho going the 19th century route like at Old Trafford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

No Torres & Lamps .. good man Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Turtyturd wrote: »

If Schurrle, Hazard, Willian and Oscar is 19th Century then that's fine with me.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Nah its more of an attacking threat we had no willian in that side and mikel started that night too.

If Schurrle, Hazard, Willian and Oscar is 19th Century then that's fine with me.

Very happy we'll still br expecting a very tough game our drfence have their work cut out for them tonight

Sweet Jebus I hope Andre does well up front.

Some not so nice images coming from Paris as PSG and Chelsea fans clash.

dark age morons

Some not so nice images coming from Paris as PSG and Chelsea fans clash.

dark age morons

Source?
    A quick Google isn't bringing up anything for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It sounds like aul Bill is saying "Joseph Mourinho".

Panthro wrote: »
    Source?
    A quick Google isn't bringing up anything for me.

a minority of dickheads trying to steal the limelight.

"@peterallenparis: Serious fighting in rue St Denis, Paris, involving Chelsea & PSG fans in progess. Shops & cafés attacked. http://t.co/iW77AMYSdR"

"@101greatgoals: Chelsea fans accused of EDL chants, Sieg Heil salutes & smashing up shops in Paris [Pictures] http://t.co/YvR9sWoCKx http://t.co/BKybMKPTuU"

"@RBairner: Reports of big clashes between #PSG and #Chelsea fans at Chatelet. This was the fear of the French club when the draw was made. #UCL"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Good to see Giles back. His input is always worthwhile.

Strange line up from Chelsea.

Given PSG home record a draw would be a great result tonite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Dunphy drops a cracker of a statement, Ibrahimovic (he called him Ivanisovic in the past) has won the league title in 7 or 8 countries apparently :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Meh he could have Messi, Suarez and Ronaldo in there and he would still play horrible football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Heard something about possible trouble at this earlier, what's the story between these two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

a minority of dickheads trying to steal the limelight.

"@peterallenparis: Serious fighting in rue St Denis, Paris, involving Chelsea & PSG fans in progess. Shops & cafés attacked. http://t.co/iW77AMYSdR"

"@101greatgoals: Chelsea fans accused of EDL chants, Sieg Heil salutes & smashing up shops in Paris [Pictures] http://t.co/YvR9sWoCKx http://t.co/BKybMKPTuU"

"@RBairner: Reports of big clashes between #PSG and #Chelsea fans at Chatelet. This was the fear of the French club when the draw was made. #UCL"
    Wish they'd all feck off back to 70s where they belong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

That_Guy wrote: »
    Strange line up from Chelsea.

Not strange. It was strange when this line up was picked against utd earlier in the season.
    Jose knows what he is doing, its a two leg affair. And away from home, he must feel 6 midfielders who work very very hard, and can also attack at pace on the break is the best option.
    At a guess, A draw is what the plan is. 1-1 would be a nice results for chelsea.

And at a guess. I'd say chelsea to score a set piece. Terry and cahill 13/1 score anytime, I went for a euro on each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Atmosphere sounds decent. Imagine being a footballer and lining up listening to that Champions League music. Immense.

From Zlatan's twitter:

BkOqGSSCIAE_LYk.jpg:large

"The only one"...is'n't that a song by hit 1990's girl band Eternal?!..
    "Now you deserve a mansion
    My lord you too..."

Cabaye on the bench. *sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Cech's distribution under pressure is terrible. That's one thing we one miss if and when Courtois takes over as number 1.

FFS

• Advertisement
Advertisement