Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSG v Chelsea - UCL Q/F k/o 7:45, RTE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

PSG very disjointed lots of good players but brittle that must be that for Petr no keeper should be beaten like that

Killer goal that.

Still far from over but I would have fancied Chelsea at just 2-1 down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

David Luis really does have auto-destruct tendencies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

PSG are not very good. So that doesn't say much for us. Awful second half performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Well deserved third goal for PSG. Poor concentration from Chelsea. Horror defending from wide attacks. Couldn't handle crosses. Both Cech and general defending at fault. But I'm wondering has Cech's increasing vulnerability with crosses introduced doubts into the defence overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Chelsea fell apart when Torres went on

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

At least you have Courtois for next season.

He is an absolute beast.

I'm guessing these rumours about him wanting to stay, and being allowed are complete shïte then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

the_monkey wrote: »
    Yeah , I'm sure you're a massive PSG fan like ..

Genuinely just thought it was a great goal. On second viewing Cech should do better. Don't care if Chelsea go through or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Johner wrote: »
    PSG are not very good. So that doesn't say much for us. Awful second half performance.

You're listening to the RTÉ lads too much. PSG are a pretty good side, lots of quality all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Cech really does let in some soft goals he was at fault for the first and third there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

You're listening to the RTÉ lads too much. PSG are a pretty good side, lots of quality all around.

Didn't watch it on RTE and they have some good players but they aren't that great.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Early goal at SB and it's game on again for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I'm guessing these rumours about him wanting to stay, and being allowed are complete shïte then.

Cech has been poor this season.

If we sell courtois someone has no idea what theyre doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"Mourinho doesn't have a great squad", says Liam Brady.

Jesus wept.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    To be honest, I think he's a great character but he's living on the memories of a couple of spectacular goals and some good performances from what feels like a long time ago. Too prone to mistakes. If we can get £25m+ for him, go for it.
    TBH I think Jose made that decision the moment he took the job!

They had no idea of how to play him in to the game and he is just not quick/mobile enough to make up the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

That third goal is the crucial one, cant see chelsea coming back from that. Torres is disgraceful, surprised Mourinho keeps giving him chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Barr wrote: »
    Doubt Chelsea will come back from this

I remember being wrote off against Napolli a few years back too, remember how that ended up?

Goal at the end was killer, shocking defending and cech should never be beaten near post like that form that angle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Nail on the Head, took off Schurle when he was having a smashing game and chasing everything.

Torres was dead wood when he came on .

Still dont think the tie is dead , but only if Eto if fit for Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Giles - "but Louise Bill. Louise".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Torres looked like he was sulking when he came on.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Cech reminds me of Reina in his last few months at LFC.

One of the best keepers in the world in his day but you just know this form is not just a blip.

Think that's a fair call shame loved the guy but time and tide as they say. Sell him for a bucket load to Barca

Johner wrote: »
    Didn't watch it on RTE and they have some good players but they aren't that great.

They weren't fantastic tonight, but half their team would walk into most teams in the World. They're without doubt one of the 10 best teams in the World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GavRedKing wrote: »
    You missed Diegos last nigt id say
    I seen it but there was skill and a great finish in this one, just the way he beat the defenders makes it very special imo. Diego's goal was a great strike but for me when you beat players and then finish well its a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I remember being wrote off against Napolli a few years back too, remember how that ended up?

Goal at the end was killer, shocking defending and cech should never be beaten near post like that form that angle.

Just think PSG will score at the Bridge.

Oh yeah, Ibra was poor while he was on.

That_Guy wrote: »

Jesus wept.
    It's Abramovich/Emanalo's squad. It's a patchwork quilt team spanning five managers latterly tweaked in a failed attempt to lure Guardiola. We won't recognise the squad in two years' time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Barr wrote: »
    Just think PSG will score at the Bridge.

Think this is the killer. At 2-1 you could conceivably see Chelsea still progress but if PSG get a goal at Stamford Bridge I'm not sure Chelsea can get three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ibrahamovic and Cavani were awful and yet PSG still end up winning relatively comfortably. If either are on form next week, I think Chelsea will concede

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

The team is running out of steam at the wrong time.

Hazard looks bunched physically - not surprising since he's played every game and has been kicked out of most. He's carried us for 3 or 4 months.

Oscar has been off form since the start of February.

Negative attitude in the second half didn't help (playing for 1-1) - same happened against Galatasaray away.

Ramires and Willian should have been taken off instead Schurrle and Oscar.
    The yellows meant they could tackle effectively and allowed Moura, Pastore and Matuidi the space to take us apart late on.

Cech and Terry had 'mares tonight. Cahill and Ivanovic saved it from being 4 or 5 tonight.

Without Eto'o we basically have a non-entity (Torres) and Ba who is not rated by Mourinho to play up front.

The squad is short at CM and CF (ridiculous considering the money spent I know) and Mourinho actually has been calling this since the start of January.

Not having Matic and Salah available in the CL and Van Ginkel fit is killing us down the stretch.

Jesus wept.

Very strong in some positions very poor in others, overall not great. No strikers make it too easy for good teams.

Giles and his theories...

Giles "There could be 300 million bottles in the team" ???

Very strong in some positions very poor in others, overall not great. No strikers make it too easy for good teams.

The "no strikers" thing is a myth. Ba, Torres and Eto would say differently. Granted they're not firing on all cylinders but it's not like Mourinho didn't have time to rectify this in two windows.

Personally I think Ba is a better option than Torres or Eto at the moment. Offers a bit more movement.

Luiz scoring his first PSG goal tonight ? :pac:

• Advertisement

Dunphy thinks Matuidi is a left winger. Hmmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

chelsea will get 2 at the bridge if PSG come to play ball.

Dunphy thinks Matuidi is a left winger. Hmmmm...

Dunphy thinks more than Dunphy knows.

Jose said Oscar and Hazard would cost PSG 300million if they wanted um, dont be waiting by the phone for an offer Jose. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Shreaves " who was at fault" such a horrible Cnut trying to get mourinho to slate individuals

• Advertisement

The "no strikers" thing is a myth. Ba, Torres and Eto would say differently. Granted they're not firing on all cylinders but it's not like Mourinho didn't have time to rectify this in two windows.

Personally I think Ba is a better option than Torres or Eto at the moment. Offers a bit more movement.

Ba is definitely a superior player to the current Torres, however I think there must be some sort of pressure to play the 50 million flop cos his performances have been nothing short of abysmal for months.

Ba at the very least is a finisher thats strong in the air and as you say is more mobile.

Eto'o is better at knitting together 1-2 moves at the edge of the D with Hazard and Oscar though and has the ability to ghost behind defenders. He is the closest fit to the striker we need going forward.

greendom wrote: »
    Giles "There could be 300 million bottles in the team" ???

A reference to the squad value ;)

Shreaves " who was at fault" such a horrible Cnut trying to get mourinho to slate individuals

Awful reporter. He has balls though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I really wish a manager would tell him to go fck himself.

Ba is definitely a superior player to the current Torres, however I think there must be some sort of pressure to play the 50 million flop cos his performances have been nothing short of abysmal for months.

Ba at the very least is a finisher thats strong in the air and as you say is more mobile.

Eto'o is better at knitting together 1-2 moves at the edge of the D with Hazard and Oscar though and has the ability to ghost behind defenders. He is the closest fit to the striker we need going forward.

He'll probably be rested for the weekend to play next Tuesday but we need Eto'o if we want to get back into it, the 1st goals is vital, if its a PSG away goal its job done, if we can lead going into the break we'll have a slight hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Dunphy using the fact that PSG only had two French players starting as a stick to bate them with.

Sure Chelsea only had two English players in the starting line-up too.

But see what you want to see Eamo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

What do Chelsea supporters think of Oscar? I mean, selling Mata obviously leaves you with 1 no.10 and even at that would it surprise you if Jose went out and bought another in the transfer window? I've watched alot of Oscar but he never seems to reach the dizzy heights at times.

Chelsea found out tonight, keep grips on Hazard and basically they are struggle to create. Special one subs on Torres, terrible sub.

What do Chelsea supporters think of Oscar? I mean, selling Mata obviously leaves you with 1 no.10 and even at that would it surprise you if Jose went out and bought another in the transfer window? I've watched alot of Oscar but he never seems to reach the dizzy heights at times.

Chelsea found out tonight, keep grips on Hazard and basically they are struggle to create. Special one subs on Torres, terrible sub.

Oscar is a fantastic young player, who is suffering from burn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Ibra was poor while he was on.

I think Ibra suffers hugely when he can't push defenders around tbh and Chelsea have a fairly solid backline.

I don't buy the big game player thing as i think it's more about physicality than temprement. He'll find it way easier to intimidate the CB's in League Uuunnn than when he's playing teams like Chelsea.

Thierry used to be the same. People were falling over themselves to claim he didn't score enough in the big games but so much of his game was about pace and power that it's obviously negated far more against good teams.

Giroud's kind of like that too only obviously not nearly as good or anything.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He'll probably be rested for the weekend to play next Tuesday but we need Eto'o if we want to get back into it, the 1st goals is vital, if its a PSG away goal its job done, if we can lead going into the break we'll have a slight hope.

An away goal for PSG doesn't really change much. It's set up the same as the Napoli tie 2 years ago. We need a 2-0 or 4-1 to go through in normal time but 3-1 will bring us to extra time (like the Napoli game).

Personally I can't see us keeping a clean sheet as we seem to have gone back to the sloppy performances we had before Christmas at the back.

PSG are much better set up to hurt us at the Bridge so they're definitely favourites to go through now. If Eto'o doesn't start were ****ed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement