Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSG v Chelsea - UCL Q/F k/o 7:45, RTE

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What do Chelsea supporters think of Oscar? I mean, selling Mata obviously leaves you with 1 no.10 and even at that would it surprise you if Jose went out and bought another in the transfer window? I've watched alot of Oscar but he never seems to reach the dizzy heights at times.

Chelsea found out tonight, keep grips on Hazard and basically they are struggle to create. Special one subs on Torres, terrible sub.

Oscar is a class act. Willian can play comfortably at number 10 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Cech really does let in some soft goals he was at fault for the first and third there.

How was he at fault for the first goal? And what about the three defenders that Pastore beat, are they not also at fault for the third goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

What do Chelsea supporters think of Oscar? I mean, selling Mata obviously leaves you with 1 no.10 and even at that would it surprise you if Jose went out and bought another in the transfer window? I've watched alot of Oscar but he never seems to reach the dizzy heights at times.

Chelsea found out tonight, keep grips on Hazard and basically they are struggle to create. Special one subs on Torres, terrible sub.

Oscar is exhausted pure and simple.
    He played nearly 70 games last year with the Olympics, Chelsea's monster 60+ game season and the Confed Cup last summer and Mourinho's abhorrence of rotating in Juan Mata for the first half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Oscar is a great player playing poorly, thats about it really.

We dont need another Attacking mid, we've Oscar, Hazard, Willian all for the number 10 role, Schurrle, Salah, and Moses, Marin, Atsu & Traore on loan.

WE were the better side in the first half, PSG bossed the 2nd half and 3-1 is a fair reflection of there play I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"They were so unlike Chelsea goals to concede"

Wise words as per usual from Tony O'Donoghue. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Oscar is a fantastic young player, who is suffering from burn out.

Exactly my point though, let a seasoned player like Mata go, places alot of pressure of Oscar to perform week in week out, as well as gives lesser options in his position. I know Jose has rotated his midfield this season but seems to rely on Hazard/Willian a hell of a lot. I know he has left Oscar out a bit especially in league games.

Hazard is another that'll be burned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Oscar is a great player playing poorly, thats about it really.

We dont need another Attacking mid, we've Oscar, Hazard, Willian all for the number 10 role, Schurrle, Salah, and Moses, Marin, Atsu & Traore on loan.

WE were the better side in the first half, PSG bossed the 2nd half and 3-1 is a fair reflection of there play I think.

All them options yet Oscar and Hazard look knackered at times. Will be interesting to see how they finish out the season.

Exactly my point though, let a seasoned player like Mata go, places alot of pressure of Oscar to perform week in week out, as well as gives lesser options in his position. I know Jose has rotated his midfield this season but seems to rely on Hazard/Willian a hell of a lot. I know he has left Oscar out a bit especially in league games.

Hazard is another that'll be burned out.

In just under 2 seasons, Hazard has already played something like 105 times for Chelsea, and is pushing 300 club games already for a 23 year old thats a daunting amount of football and hes got the WC coming up too, he could be burned out but we cant afford to drop him against Stoke either.

All them options yet Oscar and Hazard look knackered at times. Will be interesting to see how they finish out the season.

Poorly, we'll be in and around 3rd, maybe 4th if Arsenal can leap frog us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

That_Guy wrote: »
    The "no strikers" thing is a myth. Ba, Torres and Eto would say differently. Granted they're not firing on all cylinders but it's not like Mourinho didn't have time to rectify this in two windows.

Personally I think Ba is a better option than Torres or Eto at the moment. Offers a bit more movement.

I wish it was a myth Torres has been awful since long before we bought him. Ba is offside way too often, Eto'o is the best of a very very bad lot.

When strikers don't keep defenders honest it makes it so much harder for the likes of Haz, Oscar, Willian etc it is no myth Chelsea supporters have been concerned about this all season not just tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think tonight spells the end of Cech's time at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wish it was a myth Torres has been awful since long before we bought him. Ba is offside way too often, Eto'o is the best of a very very bad lot.

When strikers don't keep defenders honest it makes it so much harder for the likes of Haz, Oscar, Willian etc it is no myth Chelsea supporters have been concerned about this all season not just tonight.
    Eto'o has been fantastic for Chelsea, he does so much when he plays. He works tirelessly and because of that people say he is not the same player because they remember the goalscorer at Barcelona but forget the even better footballer at Inter who is doing at Chelsea what he did there.

I think tonight spells the end of Cech's time at Chelsea.

Very likely TBH, although there was clangers at Galatasaray, WBA and Palace as well as dodgy moments, like trying to take on Hernandez against Utd and falling over on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

How was he at fault for the first goal? And what about the three defenders that Pastore beat, are they not also at fault for the third goal?

I just thought he was very slow to react and put his hand up for the first goal the ball wasnt travelling all that quick and for there third he should of went to keep it out with his foot he was never gonna get down quick enough with his hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Poorly, we'll be in and around 3rd, maybe 4th if Arsenal can leap frog us.

ribbit :p

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I just thought he was very slow to react and put his hand up for the first goal the ball wasnt travelling all that quick and for there third he should of went to keep it out with his foot he was never gonna get down quick enough with his hand.

2nd and 3rd I'd hold him accountable for,, the 2nd was a great ball on and PSG loaded the 6 yard box but he should be making an attempt to punch there, he might get a free for trying to come through the crowd too and the 3rd, I'd agree but I think he had himself set for a shot across goal, JT just stands there while Lamps is beat to easily though.

efb wrote: »
    ribbit :p

Feck off ye :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

In just under 2 seasons, Hazard has already played something like 105 times for Chelsea, and is pushing 300 club games already for a 23 year old thats a daunting amount of football and hes got the WC coming up too, he could be burned out but we cant afford to drop him against Stoke either.

The weight of production that Hazard is carrying is part of the problem this season. He's undroppable because he is our only regular goal threat (bar Eto'o).

We lost 12-15 goals from midfield with Lampard declining this year.

Our best striker has 8 goals. (Eto'o - 3 of those in one game v Utd). Thats not good enough Full Stop.
    Compared to Drogba/Gudjohnsen got 12-15 in previous Mourinho league winning teams.

That means teams can focus on stopping Hazard.

IF we can get a reliable striker (big IF considering how Cavani looked tonight) who is a threat in the air or in behind the defense our AMF would have some room to play in and we could keep teams honest.

At the moment we're a one trick pony Counter Attacking team that has one exceptional player in Hazard and several other similar pacey quality players who play all of the game in front of a back four.

Matic and Salah are the first pieces in an evolution of the squad towards a more flexible team.

A keeper who can distribute the ball better (Courtois), a goalscoring CM and a complete striker are the other requirements.

Our other AM have not been consistent enough in front of goal. Hazard is carrying them too. Oscar and Willian work hard but you need 10 goals a piece a season minimum from them regardless of graft. Schurrle looks the most likely to score of the rest.

Getting some width or a striker who can keep defenders honest (and learning how to cross the ****ing ball) would allow us to attack all four competitions next year and choose a system to suit each game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

That_Guy wrote: »
    "They were so unlike Chelsea goals to concede"

Wise words as per usual from Tony O'Donoghue. :rolleyes:

Thought it was a good interview, he threw a few curve balls at him.

Mourinho answered by saying his defenders has done well all season and need to be bailed out sometimes by his strikers - or lack of strikers he seemed to say. Why didn't he play Ba or Torres from the start. They mightn't be top drawer strikers but they are strikers.

Tie might not be over yet. PSG while full of talent look a fragile enough outfit, they definitely wont win the CL this season whether they get through this tie or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Unbelievable what a great goalkeeper can do.

If Courtois played for Chelsea tonight over Atletico last night, Chelsea would probably have drawn 1-1 and Atletico would have lost 3-1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Looks like the only thing Chelsea are winning tonight is smashing up Paris. Telegraph

Couple of Irish bars closed; including the Harp bar after threats from fans identifying themselves as Chelsea fans with Glaswegian accents :rolleyes:

Should be made play there next few games behind closed doors to teach the idiots to cop on and grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

gosplan wrote: »
    I think Ibra suffers hugely when he can't push defenders around tbh and Chelsea have a fairly solid backline.

I don't buy the big game player thing as i think it's more about physicality than temprement. He'll find it way easier to intimidate the CB's in League Uuunnn than when he's playing teams like Chelsea.

Thierry used to be the same. People were falling over themselves to claim he didn't score enough in the big games but so much of his game was about pace and power that it's obviously negated far more against good teams.

Giroud's kind of like that too only obviously not nearly as good or anything.

Did Serie A have weak defenders too?

Ibra is top quality, has done it for so many years now, has done it everywhere he has gone, against all types of defenders.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

French media appear to be mostly blaming the PSG Ultras.

Either way, it's a shame to see that sort of thing still exists in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Killinator

Red Crow wrote: »
    Looks like the only thing Chelsea are winning tonight is smashing up Paris. Telegraph

Couple of Irish bars closed; including the Harp bar after threats from fans identifying themselves as Chelsea fans with Glaswegian accents :rolleyes:

Should be made play there next few games behind closed doors to teach the idiots to cop on and grow up.

It's happening with 'fans' in Paris, not London, how the gell can the club be held accountable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Killinator wrote: »
    It's happening with 'fans' in Paris, not London, how the gell can the club be held accountable?

How bloody hot did Pastore look when he scored that goal and took his boots off, sexonlegs

How bloody hot did Pastore look when he scored that goal and took his boots off, sexonlegs

Whatever your into I guess, I was concentrating on being pissed at conceding a 3rd!

Yes, clubs should take zero responsibility for their fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I was amazed the job cavani had to do tonight, what a waste of a cf talent playing him right mid and asking him to track back a load.

Yes, clubs should take zero responsibility for their fans.

They're in another country, what exactly can the club do to stop some louts causing serious trouble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Chelsea can't control people that would be mental enough to wreck the gaff. If it was an ongoing huge problem with Chelsea year in, year out then, maybe, but it's not. Should England be held responsible for them because they're English?

• Advertisement

They're in another country, what exactly can the club do to stop some louts causing serious trouble?

Don't make such preposterous statements.

Don't make such preposterous statements.

I'm sorry I have no idea what's going on here :/

Grayditch wrote: »
    Chelsea can't control people that would be mental enough to wreck the gaff. If it was an ongoing huge problem with Chelsea year in, year out then, maybe, but it's not. Should England be held responsible for them because they're English?

Look at the shíte they caused in Amsterdam just last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

klose wrote: »
    I was amazed the job cavani had to do tonight, what a waste of a cf talent playing him right mid and asking him to track back a load.

Often played in positions other then a CF for Napoli and Uruguay

I agree though he is at his best played centrally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I agree. Cavani should join Chelsea and be allowed to roam free as a fcukin bird up front. I'd love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Cavani naturally tracks back wherever he plays, his stamina is incredible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Chelsea have no responsibility for what their fans do abroad, all the more so when it's not actually inside the stadium they're playing in.

Responsibility is with French and British police to identify troublemakers and stop them from travelling. What do you expect Chelsea to do? Send out a team of detectives to investigate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Chelsea have no responsibility for what their fans do abroad, all the more so when it's not actually inside the stadium they're playing in.

Responsibility is with French and British police to identify troublemakers and stop them from travelling. What do you expect Chelsea to do? Send out a team of detectives to investigate?

Exactly - it's like expecting a band to be responsible for what their fans do before/after a concert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

klose wrote: »

PSG were mostly very disciplined at the bank. Barring Silva's idiotic tackle! They were taking the game rather conservatively. It was surprising but it being a huge CL game for them it sort of makes sense they didn't want to let Chelsea get an away goal. They'll probably sit deep in the return leg too and enjoy the extra space Chelsea afford to them when they start chasing the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Very strong in some positions very poor in others, overall not great. No strikers make it too easy for good teams.

It's not as if they're forced to play Gary Doherty upfront. It reflects the one dimensional aspect of Mourinho that he can't use the strikers he has, he always needs his kind, i.e. Drogba.

I had almost forgotten what an unhappy sullen Mourinho looked like in the 12 months since he was at Madrid. It's great to see back again, it never gets old.:)

Added bonus was that the third goal came so late that it gave him no time for his pantomime behaviour either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mourinho lashing out at his players. It's all about the ego with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

But..but...but everything that he says is to deflect from them.

He should just hold his hands up, he went there for a 0-0 and came away embarrassed. They actually had a decent spell in the first half after they went behind, and if the players had been allowed to play they could have won last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

greendom wrote: »

Can't remember him ever doing that before. Is he losing the plot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

You're well wide of the mark there. He's sending a clear message to some of the squad, quite a few of whom are in last chance saloon.

Can't remember him ever doing that before. Is he losing the plot?
    He's been clear and explicit on the forwards for quite some time now. He intimated his views on Mata and Luiz from the get go. You might want to consider why he might want to actually criticise players at his point. Quite a few have been given the opportunity to prove their worth, and they're not measuring up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

McDave wrote: »
    You're well wide of the mark there. He's sending a clear message to some of the squad, quite a few of whom are in last chance saloon.

What about admitting his own responsibility in not getting the best out of an expensively assembled squad ?

Last chance saloon type discussions belong in the changing room and in private, not in the full glare of the media

What about admitting his own responsibility in not getting the best out of an expensively assembled squad ?

Last chance saloon type discussions belong in the changing room and in private, not in the full glare of the media
    He didn't assemble the squad. You need to focus a little more on how and why the squad was actually assembled.

Mourinho has made some changes already, and there are going to be more.

On 'last chance saloon', there isn't any discussion. It's out there for all to see. Jose has in the main protected the squad. But if Chelsea go out next Tuesday, that's season over, and the squad overhaul will get underway in earnest. Those going out the door will be under no illusions.

dfx- wrote: »
    It's not as if they're forced to play Gary Doherty upfront. It reflects the one dimensional aspect of Mourinho that he can't use the strikers he has, he always needs his kind, i.e. Drogba.

I had almost forgotten what an unhappy sullen Mourinho looked like in the 12 months since he was at Madrid. It's great to see back again, it never gets old.:)

Added bonus was that the third goal came so late that it gave him no time for his pantomime behaviour either.

Absolute BS it has been a long time since anyone got anything out of Torres, RDM was sacked and the interim one employed to bring out the best of him and the result two league goals from Christmas until the end of the season.

You dislike TSHO fine we all understand that but a bit of common sense would be useful as well.

This will be a different better team next season, better again the following season so you may as well get your anti TSHO bile out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He didn't assemble the squad. You need to focus a little more on how and why the squad was actually assembled.

On 'last chance saloon', there isn't any discussion. It's out there for all to see. Jose has in the main protected the squad. But if Chelsea go out next Tuesday, that's season over, and the squad overhaul will get underway in earnest. Those going out the door will be under no illusions.

I think it's fair enough him having a go at players.

But then it was a decent squad just sorely lacking a CF.

I don't see why the team from last year needed a complete overhaul.

TSHO one when to say what and when, it is quite clear anyway the forwards we have are not in the last chance saloon they are in their rooms packing their bags.

Of course he did not assemble the squad you are quite right but there are so many people who just dislike Chelsea and TSHO they cannot let the truth stand in the way of a good rant. We have been in decline since we won the double and Carlo disgracefully sacked the following season that will not change in one season it will take a while.

Our history scholars on the Mersey and North London should know that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement