Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny things parents-in-waiting say or do

Options
  • 02-04-2014 4:35pm
    Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Me?

Oh I packed a kindle with loads of books loaded onto it for my labour bag.
    Y'know, in case I get bored in the labour ward.:pac:

My friend, while pregnant, insisted that discussing a baby's bowel movements was wholly unnecessary, and disgusting. And as for sniffing her baby's arse?? It was demeaning to the baby, apparently. :D

What things did you say or do then that you look back on now and laugh at your stupidity innocence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

"While I'm on maternity leave, I'm going to sit my next two Accountancy exams, and hopefully my next two Insurance exams too! It'll be amazing having all that time on my hands!"

"Oh I'd never leave my newborn baby in a babygro all day."

Lol. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'll never give my baby a soother... :rolleyes: that one lasted two days, she spent her first 48 hours either sucking my boob or sucking my finger until a nice midwife brought me a soother for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've surprised myself by sticking to most of the things I thought I'd do. I'm probably more laid back than I expected. I always said no fizzy drinks and I've stuck to that. Before I got pregnant I never thought I'd be using cloth nappies and breastfeeding while pregnant with number two. A lot of the dire warnings about parenting from other parents were total bull.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

As the Dad of a 1 month old I quickly realised that a small poo stain is no big deal.

And now I say poo alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I used to say "Once they've teeth it's time to stop breast feeding"

Kid 1 - 8 months old when we finished
    Kid 2 - 15 months old when we finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Neyite wrote: »
    Me?

Oh I packed a kindle with loads of books loaded onto it for my labour bag.
    Y'know, in case I get bored in the labour ward.:pac:

My friend, while pregnant, insisted that discussing a baby's bowel movements was wholly unnecessary, and disgusting. And as for sniffing her baby's arse?? It was demeaning to the baby, apparently. :D

What things did you say or do then that you look back on now and laugh at your stupidity innocence?

Lol! I was induced with last gel at about midnight. Consultant came in around 7.15 to find me at nearly 7cm after labouring away myself in my room without calling anyone for ages because the pain was all in my back and that definitely couldn't be contractions because the midwife had told me earlier gel pains were very uncomfortable :pac: When he examined me and declared that he was heading off to get a delivery suite a.s.a.p the midwife starting helping me get my labour bag. It was all ready to go except for my dressing gown. I must have been on another planet at this stage and went to pick up my kindle!!! She said you definitely won't need that. Oh and when he told me how dilated I was I asked should I ring my husband :p That was met with a resounding yes!
    I was definitely away with the fairies with my whole idea of what labour was going to be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I will never shout.
    I will never let them sleep in my bed.
    I will never go out looking like I just got out of bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I thought I could save thousands, learn a new language and write a book on maternity leave! I've a month left and the only thing I've managed is to start to understand the language! I haven't read a book since she was born!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    As the Dad of a 1 month old I quickly realised that a small poo stain is no big deal.

Depends where it is and whose it is!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

There is photo evidence of me putting on make up and straightening my hair while I was in early labour lol lol lol :) needless to saw 22 hours later when baby finally arrived I looked some fright! And let's not forget the worrying about the personal grooming prep for d day! I remember killing myself trying to shave my legs daily in prep for the big day! I am just so glad I didn't splash out on this http://www.theprettycompany.com/shop/gownies/molly-gownie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

And now I say poo alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Millem wrote: »
    There is photo evidence of me putting on make up and straightening my hair while I was in early labour lol lol lol :) needless to saw 22 hours later when baby finally arrived I looked some fright! And let's not forget the worrying about the personal grooming prep for d day! I remember killing myself trying to shave my legs daily in prep for the big day! I am just so glad I didn't splash out on this http://www.theprettycompany.com/shop/gownies/molly-gownie/

Omg did u know they come with a matching pillow case and babygrow :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

that is a good point

kandr10 wrote: »
    Omg did u know they come with a matching pillow case and babygrow :-)

No lol:) ended up giving birth in top I arrived in which got covered in blood and god only knows what!!! Lol lol seriously what was I thinking! I really wanted it but had already bought a granny nightdress that had buttons all the way down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I'm not going to get an epidural

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Yeah I'll take it as it comes and get an epidural if I need it. First contraction cues me asking for it!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yep I said I'd never use a soother :o

Also envisioned passing exams and doing loads of craft projects that I wanted to get around to.

Oh I also had an epic birth plan for the first one, all went down the drain.

I've learned to take the wait and see approach now on the fourth one... If I need an epidural I'll have one (didn't on last).

I also had great plans of doing my insurance exams while on mat leave with my first, instead I sat around watching Gilmore Girls while feeding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

'I'm going to be so bored when the baby actually arrives. Like, what am I actually going to do all day? Watch it sleep?'

I'm not going to get an epidural

Oh yeah I was like I will suck up the pain sure it will be grand I will get into the bath!!! Wasn't allowed in bath in the end and begged for an epidural but wasn't allowed one. Next time I don't care I want one as soon as I arrive seriously am not sucking up that pain. Anyone who tells you that the pain is grand is either a) lying or b)have forgotten or c)are superhuman

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    Oh yeah I was like I will suck up the pain sure it will be grand I will get into the bath!!! Wasn't allowed in bath in the end and begged for an epidural but wasn't allowed one. Next time I don't care I want one as soon as I arrive seriously am not sucking up that pain. Anyone who tells you that the pain is grand is either a) lying or b)have forgotten or c)are superhuman

Each experience is definitely different... 1st and 2nd I had epidurals, on 2nd the epidural had worn off by the pushing stage and I managed with gas and air. On the 3rd I had nothing at all, now to be fair I did puke my ring up at about 3cms with the pain of it but about 10 minutes later, and just when the anaesthetist was about to inject that sweet sweet nectar into me, I was ready to push and managed with nothing. It was definitely the nicest experience of them all.

But, as I said, I'm not going to rule it out this time either because it could be just as bad as the second time.

January wrote: »
    Each experience is definitely different... 1st and 2nd I had epidurals, on 2nd the epidural had worn off by the pushing stage and I managed with gas and air. On the 3rd I had nothing at all, now to be fair I did puke my ring up at about 3cms with the pain of it but about 10 minutes later, and just when the anaesthetist was about to inject that sweet sweet nectar into me, I was ready to push and managed with nothing. It was definitely the nicest experience of them all.

But, as I said, I'm not going to rule it out this time either because it could be just as bad as the second time.

Well That pain was horrible maybe it was because it was my first I don't know! I have no gold medal so next time (if there even is a next time) I not going to be a martyr lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

'God, I don't understand people who dress their baby girls in pink all the time. I'm never going to do that.'

My best friend likes to remind me of that one. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

sopretty wrote: »
    'I'm going to be so bored when the baby actually arrives. Like, what am I actually going to do all day? Watch it sleep?'

That's very similar to what I said. I thought my house was going to be gleaming....sure I'd have three or fours hours at a time to myself when baby is asleep during the day!! Haha......sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Breastfeeding past 6 months is disgusting! Oh and what I used think about breastfeeding babies with teeth... Or why on earth you wouldn't just feed somewhere private. Or just give a bottle when out and about? Hippies!! And why would you co sleep when there's a cot there? And then I ended up being that breastfeeding babywearing feeding in public (albeit extremely discreetly!) co sleeping mum. And did all of the above while pregnant with no 2 ;)

Oh I was not having one of those children who threw herself on the floor because she wanted iggle piggle! Actually I was not having one if those children who even knew who iggle piggle was. Fast forward 21 months and I got super excited today at an episode of balamory where I saw the inside of ms hoolies house.

I wasn't getting an epidural on my first... 5 rounds of gel later I was a mess begging for one: I was definitely 100% getting an epidural on no 2. I had no time for one and honestly it really wasn't that bad. Probably because it went so fast!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

cyning wrote: »
    Oh I was not having one of those children who threw herself on the floor because she wanted iggle piggle! Actually I was not having one if those children who even knew who iggle piggle was. Fast forward 21 months and I got super excited today at an episode of balamory where I saw the inside of ms hoolies house.

I found an episode of Peppa Pig on youtube recently that I hadn't seen. I think I ended up laughing more than my little one did at it. Although, to be fair, it was a Grampy Rabbit episode... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I planned to breastfeed until 9-13 months and then pump a cup or two of breastmilk each day until 24 months. That way he'd have all the goodness of breastmilk for the recommended two year minimum but no risk of ever remembering being breastfed. Turns out I hate pumping and no longer care if he remembers feeding. Instead I'm making the effort to ensure he has peers who are breastfed toddlers too, so if he remembers it, it will just feel normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Before we had our baby we said- we will have two babies close together and get the hard part out of the way. ....

yeah no that won't be happening in my household lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

My children are never going to watch tv.

There's no way I'd ever have a glass of wine while home alone with the baby in case i may need to drive to drive to the hospital in an emergency....

Yep, i was full of sh1t!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I arrived at the labour ward with a bag full of fruit, mars bars, magazines and books. Not to mention the 3 changes of clothes :rolleyes: :pac: Was very disappointed to be told that no eating was allowed and very surprised to find that there would be no sitting around bored out of my skull doing crosswords :D In the end the only things I needed from the bag were a clean nightie and a nappy for LO.

Oh, and the months I spent rolling my eyes at the women begging for epidurals on the Baby ER programs thinking 'sure women have been doing it from the beginning of time, it's natural and it can't be THAT painful' (thanks alot Ina May, you really set me up for a shock) How I laughed at myself afterwards.....

Advertisement