Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny things parents-in-waiting say or do

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

John Mason wrote: »
    my first baby is due in a few weeks.

everyone keeps saying to be me, that i will be perfect time for me to turn my hobby into a business. :eek:

personally, i am planning on staying in bed for the next 3 months with the baby. have made my husband, hook up a tv and put in network cables etc.

my plan: -

feed baby, sleep, feed baby sleep, stick a wash on, wait for husband to come from work to feed me. feed baby, have shower, feed baby, sleep and on and on

Husbands plan: -

me up in the morning with his breakfast made and lunch made, kissing him goodbye
    coming home from work to me standing in the doorway smiling, with slippers and an old fashioned, sparkling shining house and smiling happy baby.

one of us is going to be terribly disappointed:cool:
    lol
    I pretty much did that on my 1st except fed myself.
    I am not sure if i will ever be a good house wife ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

"My baby is twelve weeks old."

What? What's with that? Your baby is three months old, why would you count it in weeks? That's just weird!

What's stranger is when people say their child is 36 months... eh yeah they are 3yrs old?
    John Mason wrote: »
    my first baby is due in a few weeks.

everyone keeps saying to be me, that i will be perfect time for me to turn my hobby into a business. :eek:

Your plan of staying in bed is awesome. I should have done that at least for the first two weeks.

I had great plans to start a little home business, my sister was helping me set up a duplicate of hers that she had in the UK. Absolutely sweet f*ck all got done on it in the 6mths mat leave.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mink wrote: »
    What's stranger is when people say their child is 36 months... eh yeah they are 3yrs old?

Im 468 months old. Pleasedtomeecha. :D

My child won't....... pick their nose in public/ be shy & withdrawn in front of strangers / have meltdowns for inexplicable reasons/ eat any sweets or chocolate before the age of 4 / will have a varied palate full of different exotic tastes & vegetables / the list goes on.

I had great plans to pump loads so that OH could do night feeds and I'd have a stock in the freezer for when we'd go on our nights away and someone else could feed baby. Then I discovered that pumping sucks literally and figuratively.

Having said all that, if I go again I will most likely not have an epi again (but I think I'll have baby in a hospital this time so have the option) and I'll give breastfeeding (and probably pumping) a longer run.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh yeah, a few more...

"my child will eat anything, because I'll expose him to a wide variety of tastes and textures, and teach him not to be fussy like some kids"
    "it will be only home-cooked, nutritious food he will be given, no junk and no processed foods"

Cue me almost weeping with happiness when he eats a handful of cheerios after rejecting 4 types of lovingly prepared meals (which he hoovers up in creche!!!)

I always said that his personal space is to be respected and I'd never make him kiss or hug people if he didnt want to. I will be sticking to that rule after a recent experience.

We were at a funeral and somone who neither of us met before nearly tore him out of my arms to slobber all over him. He was getting a bit freaked and not liking it one bit. So I grabbed him back and curtly explained that he didnt like some bristly auld wan with masticated food around their mouthes trying to practically lick him and maul him was shy and didnt take to strangers.

Babies are people too y'know!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mine grew in to fussy eaters...but the 5 year old eats anything except veg and would not be a fan of mince but does like potatoes and the 3 year old is not a fan of meat but loves fish,the 1 year old eats everything and anything but they all did at 1.
    They all love garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I'll make all of her food, we rarely eat convenience foods so why would the baby...just into week 2 of solids and I gave her an Ella's pouch today :pac:

Sling/carrier/wrap, won't be using one of those, the baby would never want to be put down....two weeks and a newborn with reflux later I was practically running in the door of Tony Kealys to buy the first one I could! I put no research into it and am now going mad I didn't because I found that we both really enjoy it.

With everything else I had a pretty much play it by ear attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

A good few years back now, but with my eldest boy I was NEVER going to give him toy guns or let him watch aggressive cartoons.....NEVER! Well, I tried, but I clearly didn't account for him actually being a boy because as soon as I got him a sack of the big lego blocks, what was the first thing he made age 2 1/2? Yup. "Pow, pow Mammy, POW!!"

I was going to only allow tasteful wooden toys, not the lurid plastic bleeping flashing ones in the house.

*looks around at the living room festooned with Fisher Price, Duplo and Vtech*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My nephew reminded me at the weekend that I once said no son of mine would have long hair. Our little fellas hair is quite long at the moment and I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I'm not going to be one of those parents who brings tons of stuff for the baby when they leave the house, I'm just gonna throw the sling and change bag in the car and go!

Now I've done this a few times but then realised you have no where to put the baby if you call to someone so now the swing chair is added to the equation... And now that the weather is nice, it's nice to have the stroller... Not to mention I somehow have about ten blankets in the car, I dont know why, maybe just in case we break down at night and have to sleep in the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Having loads of nephews and nieces and friends with kids i was under no illusion and didnt really have many rules before having my 2 . I was just going to take it how it comes. My main 1 would probably not force feed them or bribe them to eat and meal times together at the table. I see my SILs and MIL constantly having to bribe to get them to eat.
    So far so good as my near 2 year old is a great eater. Dont get me wrong she has gone through a few phases of not wanting to eat but we say nothing and it uaually passes in a few days.

Advertisement