Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog toilet outside

Options
  • 02-04-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

What is the recommendation for a spot for the dog to toilet outside.

Currently toilet training 2 pups. They will go outside and do the business in the lawn, which is great, but long term I'd prefer them to go in one spot.

Is there a solution?

And how do you get rid of the waste and keep the lawn clean?

I'm thinking of a sand pit of something at the end of the lawn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

size/breed and age of your pups?
    What size is your lawn - I only ask because I have over an acre, so have never bothered poop-scooping because it decomposes over time, and in a large space its not an issue. Otherwise you can just poop-scoop once a week - or more often if your lawn is tiny. Poo can go in your compost bin. At my mothers I just pick up the poo with a sheet of newspaper and put it straight in the compost bin.
    If you have a place you want them to go, bring them there to toilet every single time - armed with high-value treat & much praise. If they are dogs (rather than bitches) they will want to mark their territory more, so peeing in 1 place might be an issue?

I have a very small back ' garden' its all decked except one corner of soil, where I used to have two trees. My dog started to go in this corner, I think because I stood beside it.
    Tbh I lift it every day, at the time if I see it, every two days at most, but I have a really really small back and it wud be overpowering if I didn't.

In the odd occasion when its more than two days, the dog will go on the decking, I'm guessing he goes in the corner but if its full, he doesn't like it there.
    So I suppose try to get them to go in one section, standing there till they do, then rewarding them. And keep it clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

the pups are miniature schnauzers so they'll be small/medium.

The garden is about 40ft x 40ft, semi d end of terrace, a large back garden by semi d standards. There is plenty of space but not enough to leave the stuff lying around for more than 3 or 4 days.

Bubblypop, sounds like they might keep to 1 spot if I stay with them for the first while. This would suit, I'd imaging that I would sand or cement it or something so that it'd be easier to pick out.

Would this work do ye think?

Advertisement