Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Training Course

• 02-04-2014 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Im not sure if i have the right forum for this. Apologies if not.
    Im looking for a course where i can study a dog training course and also bring my own dog along to it everyday. Anyone have any suggestions? Im based in munster.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is it that you want to train to be a dog training instructor?
    Have you made any enquiries yet? Just trying to figure out who you've been in contact with so far, if anyone!
    There aren't too many dog training instructor's courses in Ireland, and by and large they're a mixture of distance-learning with some hands-on practical sessions. They don't tend to require a daily attendance, except at the practical sessions, and I'm pretty sure you'd be allowed, perhaps even encouraged to bring your own dog with you to these.
    You also need to tread a little carefully as there are one or two self-titled trainers/behaviourists running courses when in reality they have no business doing so, due to an utter lack of any credible qualifications themselves. But by the same token, there are some pretty good courses out there too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Thanks for your reply. Yes a dog training instructor course. I was in touch with Creedons College in Cork but thought they wouldnt allow you to bring your dog with you. I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have done a course like that with their dog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Have you asked Creedon's if they'd let you bring your dog?
    There's also the very lovely Alison Bush who runs http://www.elistaeducation.com/index.htm, based near Portlaoise but also lecturing in St. John's College in Cork. Her courses are very good, also externally accredited, and I'm reasonably sure I've heard past-pupils saying they brought their own dogs to practical sessions... Don't quote me on that, but surely worth asking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The course I did with Alison involved home study for 4 projects and 2 practical weekend courses and yes, doggy came too :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I'm currently doing this course with Alison of Elista Education:

http://www.elistaeducation.com/canine_behaviour_training_course.htm

There are eight sessions in north Cork, one a month. The first four are classroom based and the last four are practical where you work with your dog. She also does it via distance learning with practical weekends.

I'm about three quarters through it now and I have my first practical assessment with my dog Henry in a week!! :eek: Even though it's just a foundation course, it covers a lot of material and there are quite a lot of written assessments (or maybe I'm just out of practice!). It's also extremely practical and Alison is a great tutor. I'd highly recommend it. Big thanks to DBB who originally recommended it to me last year. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm currently doing this course with Alison of Elista Education:

http://www.elistaeducation.com/canine_behaviour_training_course.htm

There are eight sessions in north Cork, one a month. The first four are classroom based and the last four are practical where you work with your dog. She also does it via distance learning with practical weekends.

I'm about three quarters through it now and I have my first practical assessment with my dog Henry in a week!! :eek: Even though it's just a foundation course, it covers a lot of material and there are quite a lot of written assessments (or maybe I'm just out of practice!). It's also extremely practical and Alison is a great tutor. I'd highly recommend it. Big thanks to DBB who originally recommended it to me last year. :)

I have done this course, as distance learning, with 3 residential weekends, brought my dog to each weekend. Great course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

muddypaws wrote: »
    I have done this course, as distance learning, with 3 residential weekends, brought my dog to each weekend. Great course.

That's the one I did too :) but not the same year as you.

Advertisement