Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving abroad-deposit return

Options
  • 02-04-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,
    Currently renting a house for about 1 year. My contract ends in June and i'll move to another country at the day i move out, so i wont be around to investigate the return process of my deposit.

Do you think is there a way to handle that so i could get back my deposit at the day i move out, or talking to landlord to keep the deposit as the last month rent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

First thing to do is ask your landlord. They may agree to return deposit on moving out provided the place is in good condition. This would be rare but much more likely than a landlord agreeing to take the risk of accepting the deposit as the last month's rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Speak to the landlord and arrange a pre-inspection 2 weeks before you are due to leave, with the deposit then being returned on the last day with the understanding that you will have fixed any issues the pre-inspection brought to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Saudade

athtrasna wrote: »
    First thing to do is ask your landlord. They may agree to return deposit on moving out provided the place is in good condition. This would be rare but much more likely than a landlord agreeing to take the risk of accepting the deposit as the last month's rent.

Hi athtrasna, sorry to reply in an old thread, but I didn't see reason to clutter the front page with another query.

Why do you say it's rare for a landlord to return deposit upon tenant moving out? Surely the keys should be exchanged for the deposit as the final meeting between LL and Tenant?

I'm just wondering about the scenario of someone moving abroad; it's their last hour in a property, they are ready to head to the airport, waiting for the landlord to arrive to exchange keys for deposit, and he doesn't pay. That person has a flight to catch, what on Earth could they do? Open up an online dispute with the PRTB and have an online dispute going on for the next 6 months? Is this even possible to engage in a PRTB dispute completely online? And that person has probably closed their Irish bank account and wanted/needed that money in cash for their travels. Sounds like a terrible situation to be in for a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Is unlikelya landlord would return a deposit in cash as there is then little proof they actually returned it. Bank transfer or cheque. A landlord may hand over a cheque on the day of they agree with you that the place is clean and nothing is broken, but if something is broken they will need to get quotes etc, receipts, deduct and then return.

I don't see any reason to close your irish bank account on the very day you leave the country. You can always just transfer the money out when it arrives and leave it empty

Advertisement