Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can any Irish speakers show me how to pronounce this prayer

• 02-04-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Sometimes when I wanna help someone, but can't find any way, I'll pray for them cuz the way I see it, if it doesn't work, well then all I've lost is the minute it took to say the prayer. But I know enough to know I don't know **** about this world, so maybe prayer acts as some kind of medium through which we can reach out to things which are outside our range of perception.

Anyway, I don't know any prayers that match my intent, and I'd prefer to say prayers in the language of my dead ancestors so I made up this prayer and used google to translate it to Irish:

Go mbeannaí Dia agus a illuminate do chosáin a shlánú, agus a chur ar fáil duit leis an neart, misneach agus eagna chun siúl é, agus d'fhéadfadh sé seo mar thoradh ar cosán ar do thuairisceán bheannaíocht agus Dia. Go raibh do bheannaíocht a úsáid mar beacon chun treoir a thabhairt ar fad mothaitheacha bheith ar a gcuid cosán ar ais go dtí bheannaíocht agus salvation, agus ar deireadh thiar a n-ais do Dhia

in English:

May God bless and illuminate your path to salvation, and provide you with the strength, courage and wisdom to walk it, and may this path lead to your return to holiness and God. May your holiness serve as a beacon to guide all sentient being on their path back to holiness and salvation, and ultimately their return to God.

Can any fluent Irish speakers here correct the translation and if its not too much hassle, upload a recording of you pronouncing it. I can only pronounce about 10% of that, and understand about 5% of it.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There is an irish forum somewhere on the site where someone might translate that for you. Can't find it or link right now as I am mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Please bear in mind that Google translate is rubbish when it comes to correct grammar, so be prepaired that people might not make a whole lot of sense out of it.

Advertisement