Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having the same Solicitor!

Options
  • 02-04-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I had a solicitor that took on my landlord as his solicitor. We ended up signing the rental contract between us using that same solicitor. Can that be done? My solicitor said that is fine.

Please advise as I, as you would of guessed, have problems with the landlord for not paying the deposit back.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

tknass wrote: »
    problems with the landlord for not paying the deposit back.
    http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/Library3.nsf/PageCurrentWebLookUpTopNav/Small%20Claims%20Procedure
    Type of claims dealt with
    (a) a claim for goods or services bought for private use from someone selling them in the course of a business (consumer claims)
    (b) a claim for goods or services bought for business use from someone selling them in the course of a business (business claims)
    (c) a claim for minor damage to property (but excluding personal injuries)
    (d) a claim for the non-return of a rent deposit for certain kinds of rented properties. For example, a holiday home or a room / flat in a premises where the owner also lives provided that a claim does not exceed €2,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

tknass wrote: »
    ... We ended up signing the rental contract between us using that same solicitor. Can that be done? My solicitor said that is fine.

Yes, you can share a solicitor, but it's not advisable as you are now discovering. You should inform him that there is a dispute and ask him which side he is going to be on. I suspect he will go with the landlord as he is likely to get more business from future lettings.

BTW: I presume he got fees from both you and the landlord for the rental contract so he was paid on the double. Nice one for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tknass

Wheelnut wrote: »
    Yes, you can share a solicitor, but it's not advisable as you are now discovering. You should inform him that there is a dispute and ask him which side he is going to be on. I suspect he will go with the landlord as he is likely to get more business from future lettings.

BTW: I presume he got fees from both you and the landlord for the rental contract so he was paid on the double. Nice one for him!

It was a bit more complex. The solicitor bought the firm my landlord was a client of few weeks before the contract renewal. The good news is that landlord went with another solicitor for the dispute. Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement