Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Project - Formula 1 Website

• 02-04-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hello, just wanted to post a link to a website I have created for my final year project/dissertation in college.

The website focuses on the prediction of Formula 1 results.
    The Race Prediction Algorithm section of the website allows users to predict the result of the next race through data mining.
    The search database section allows users to search through information on drivers on tracks.
    The members prediction league allows users who have signed in with their google account to predict results for the next race and compete against one another.

I know aspects of the website aren't finished, and it's still in development but any feedback would be welcomed on the website, thanks :)

http://f1prediction.appspot.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

It's hideously ugly, but do I understand college projects typically either do not award points, or only award minimum points, for the presentation of a project, so your expended effort will reflect that. My interest and expertise is in the front-end so I had to say something despite that. :p

Besides that, your functionality and code are interesting, although there are bugs and typos present:
    • The "Members Prediction League" page discloses the email addresses of members.
    • Your site appears to allow random users to update global track information. That opens the door to vandals.
    • The search page could benefit from a tabled layout.
    • Your prose is for the benefit of your lecturers, but you throw blobs of text at them. Your project will be 1 among N, and it'll be beneficial to make it more readable. Example:
      Sports science is a new and expanding field of research in many competitive sports and many teams are now choosing to utilise data mining techniques to improve different aspects of their game such as training, coaching, and selection of players as well as prediction. This project will create a web application hosted on Google App Engine and using the available Google toolkits and APIs. It will utilise linear regression to predict the outcome of Formula 1 race results using data from race weekends including practice, qualifying and race data covering the last four years. As there is no readily available F1 dataset, the dataset will be created from data available from the F1 governing body website along with data stored by Forix, a data collection website for motor racing. The data is collected, cleansed, sorted and analysed using Excel and visual basic coding before been uploaded to Google butt storage, where it can be accessed by the web application. Time permitting and following the successful development of the prediction algorithm the web application will be developed to act as an eLearning tool. In this regard the Formula 1 prediction will become an example set on how data mining techniques can be used to generate relevant results. It will teach users with little to no data mining knowledge how the prediction is created by display subsets of the data along with an explanation of linear regression and how it can be used outside of F1.

Wall of text, (poor) third-person passive voice. A lot of grammatical errors both here and elsewhere on the site.

It's interesting despite this and I'd like to see updates in future. :)

Advertisement