Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on in the old Shimla building?!

Options
  • 02-04-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

Walked past today and looks like builders are in.

Is old Shimla opening back up?! (yes yes I know about all the closure orders - it tasted goooooooood, and I was never sick, all good by me!)

Is a new Shimla opening up?!

Or is there something else going in??

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Its a new Indian takeaway, new business I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

oblivious wrote: »

New Indian woo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Painting it last night. Looks to be almost there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Good to see businesses opening up. Now, if only someone could do something with the boarded up Aldi eyesore. What business is Clonsilla missing that could do well? A local butchers maybe or a proper sit down coffee shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

ongarboy wrote: »
    Good to see businesses opening up. Now, if only someone could do something with the boarded up Aldi eyesore. What business is Clonsilla missing that could do well? A local butchers maybe or a proper sit down coffee shop?

plus 1 on the coffee shop - there is no decent place in Clonsilla to meet up and have a coffee or a bit of lunch.

• Advertisement

Starbucks!

Lol. Joking! But a coffee shop would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

I saw one of the old Aldi site Cottages getting taken down as I passed this morning - large JCB clearing it away.

“Roll it back”

Silly question. We're definitely not getting an aldi are we?

As much as I like aldi and lidl, clonsilla village is not great to start with, so think we need to enhance (coffee shop!) rather than stick a lidl in the village.

amdublin wrote: »
    Silly question. We're definitely not getting an aldi are we?

As much as I like aldi and lidl, clonsilla village is not great to start with, so think we need to enhance (coffee shop!) rather than stick a lidl in the village.

As far as I am awear their planning permision was refused, congestion of the area was the main reason I believe

As far as I am awear their planning permision was refused, congestion of the area was the main reason I believe

Yes - Just an Aldi might be too busy for the village - but might have been made acceptable - But I think the main reason was in order to get the price of the land back - they wanted to build over a hundred one and two room apartments on the site - ie. student bedsit land - on the site as well as the shop - with very limited parking and the only greenspace was located On the Shop Roof!

Due the the amount of land used by the apartments - the size of the entrance to the site they proposed was tiny - getting the large delivery trucks through the small village and in and out would have been insane.

Fingal however wanted a line of shops (coffee shops etc) each side of a newly created street that would run down through the site towards the canal - opening up access to the waterway for everyone - and possibly spanning it - like they did in Ashtown - they mentioned Ashtown as the blueprint - a new Clonsilla village. That would be so much better.

New Car bits shop opened this week in Clonsilla village - not bad - oils and stuff - limited range of stock since he's only opened but he's very reasonable.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

ozmo wrote: »
    New Car bits shop opened this week in Clonsilla village - not bad - oils and stuff - limited range of stock since he's only opened but he's very reasonable.
    Spotted that...is there really a demand for this with Halfords & PartsforCars in Blanchardstown and Coolmine as well as 2 smaller motor factors in Mulhuddart and Clonee?

fletch wrote: »
    Spotted that...is there really a demand for this with Halfords & PartsforCars in Blanchardstown and Coolmine as well as 2 smaller motor factors in Mulhuddart and Clonee?

Thought so too - very similar to what you might find in a petrol station - but he is a good bit cheaper - bought 2 litres engine oil the week before in Halifords for 22 euros - this guy is selling 5 litres for 15 euros that would have done me.

I just bought some huge 5L bottle screen wash that will last me years off him.
    Support local business and all - better than the boarded up shop that was there and the estate agent before that. Friendly guys - had a good few customers in when I was there.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Thought so too - very similar to what you might find in a petrol station - but he is a good bit cheaper - bought 2 litres engine oil the week before in Halifords for 22 euros - this guy is selling 5 litres for 15 euros that would have done me.

I just bought some huge 5L bottle screen wash that will last me years off him.
    Support local business and all - better than the boarded up shop that was there and the estate agent before that. Friendly guys - had a good few customers in when I was there.
    Might drop in over the weekend...sounds like some good deals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Fingal however wanted a line of shops (coffee shops etc) each side of a newly created street that would run down through the site towards the canal - opening up access to the waterway for everyone - and possibly spanning it - like they did in Ashtown - they mentioned Ashtown as the blueprint - a new Clonsilla village. That would be so much better.

I LOVE that idea!

fletch wrote: »
    Might drop in over the weekend...sounds like some good deals

One of the lads was working in mulhuddart parts and has gone it alone with another guy. Sound lads - stock in house is limited but I'm sure he can order whatever you need. Delivery to mulhuddart store was always very quick and I'm assuming that they will be using the same suppliers.

There is a florist in behind the motor shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Guys. Excuse my ignorance but what constitutes clonsilla village. ? Dry cleaners/host down to molloys? Or am I completely off the mark

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd consider the village as being from the cleaners to the Clonsilla Inn and the shops beside it. At a push to the school, but certainly not as far as Molloys. But I'd say everyone has their own idea of what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Zaph wrote: »
    I'd consider the village as being from the cleaners to the Clonsilla Inn and the shops beside it. At a push to the school, but certainly not as far as Molloys. But I'd say everyone has their own idea of what it is.

I'd agree with that assessement as to the village proper. The actual residential/postal address of Clonsilla would probably extend up as far as St Josephs Hospital and down to Molloys and up to Shelerin Road I would think. As an Ongar resident, I sometimes have to say I'm from Clonsilla as folks from elsewhere wouldn't be so familar with Ongar.

I don't think people try to exaggerate the boundary the way they do with Castleknock! :)

Its open to debate allright - above sounds good.

Fingal CC consider the village to be quite large in the documents they publish to be the whole block from the "Character Houses" at the Train Station and all the way down to the New bridge so as to include the primary school there and the old school and historic buildings on that road - then bounded by the railway line back to clonsilla station. I have a pdf outlining the area from them - but it might be a bit big to attach.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Just got a menu through the door from Spice of India ... looks nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I would say it's the same owner just a different name, I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hootanany wrote: »
    I would say it's the same owner just a different name, I could be wrong.

Definitely not the same owner. Just got the menu myself, looks good and reasonably priced for Indian. Didn't look open earlier, think they were still painting outside, presume they're aiming for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Spice of India also have a restaurant on South William Street looks like the're starting a chain

Yesterday eve

Got their menu in the door this evening, looks interesting and rice included in the main courses too for 9-10 euro

Got their menu in the door this evening, looks interesting and rice included in the main courses too for 9-10 euro

Are you sure??? I didn't think so when I looked at it.

Are you sure you weren't just looking at the biriyani section?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yep, it says all mains come with free rice or naan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Spice of India also have a restaurant on South William Street looks like the're starting a chain

I was in Spice of India (Sth William st) very recently. I enjoyed it!

• Advertisement

Opened this evening. Was in for a swift pint next door and the lads were in dishing out their menus. I'll scan and post when I get to work. Menu reads well.

Advertisement