Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What defines a property boundary?

Options
  • 02-04-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭

We're in the process of buying a site over here in Germany and part of the process will involve an (expensive) state approved surveyor coming out and measuring the site off using existing boundary markers and then placing new markers that set the boundary of our site (which is being "carved" from a larger one). These markers can be seen everywhere. Interfering with them is an offence.

So, how do we legally define the boundaries of real property in Ireland, especially property that is not enclosed by a fence or wall? Whatever we use must "work", but how does it work exactly?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

a line on a property portfolio map

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

murphaph wrote: »
    We're in the process of buying a site over here in Germany and part of the process will involve an (expensive) state approved surveyor coming out and measuring the site off using existing boundary markers and then placing new markers that set the boundary of our site (which is being "carved" from a larger one). These markers can be seen everywhere. Interfering with them is an offence.

So, how do we legally define the boundaries of real property in Ireland, especially property that is not enclosed by a fence or wall? Whatever we use must "work", but how does it work exactly?

Ireland has a property registry as well as Germany, every parcel of land has a unique folio number with an accompanying map marking the boundaries as well. If those boundaries are just a line on the map or a wall doesn't legally diminish or augment ones title. It's not like properly qualified surveyors here are cheap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

snubbleste wrote: »
    a line on a property portfolio map
    Yeah German states have the same maps as well but the "lines on the map" have to be found when it's time to build in the right place. The German system uses marker points to mark these lines out on the ground so I can put my fence in the right place. How do we do it in Ireland?

Let's say I buy a site in an open field. Does someone "official" come out and mark off the boundary on the ground? What happens if the adjacent land owner disputes the boundary, how are such disputes resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Ireland has a property registry as well as Germany, every parcel of land has a unique folio number with an accompanying map marking the boundaries as well. If those boundaries are just a line on the map or a wall doesn't legally diminish or augment ones title. It's not like properly qualified surveyors here are cheap either.

Do folio maps not state that they "may not be accurate" and cannot be used to ultimately determine actual boundary, or words to that effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

murphaph wrote: »
    Whatever we use must "work" ...

What ever makes you think that?

I think you'll find plenty of boundary disputes here if you look.

Just the other week a colleague was telling me about the house they want to buy having eaves that overlap the boundary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What ever makes you think that?

I think you'll find plenty of boundary disputes here if you look.

Just the other week a colleague was telling me about the house they want to buy having eaves that overlap the boundary.
    Yeah but on the whole it works. I'm sure there are boundary disputes in Germany as well, even with the markers in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Often, in urban areas, where there are sections of the footpath that aren't in the charge of the council, i.e. privately owned, there will be a brass strip along the boundary.

Advertisement