Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

introducing a 3rd dog???

• 02-04-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi I have two small (4kg) female neutered dogs. we have been a respite house for a lab pup in training having her for hols and wknds. however we have just been informed she will not make the grade due to stress while in the car and her food aggression, which in my home is only towards the other dogs. hence she is fed separately. she is approx. 9 months old now and I am considering adopting her. she is not great on the lead but is crate trained and has great recall and sit and stay commands. I need advice.... my dogs are nearly 3 and 2 years old. they get on very well together and I don't want to upset the balance. the older dog tolerates the lab pup and is quick to put her in her place. my second dog loves to play with the lab but gets worn out fast and gets cranky with her, which she tends to ignore until the older dog steps in. For me a dog is for life so I really want to make the right decision...any help appreciated thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I think that it would be possible to introduce this lab puppy to your household - it would be a lot of work for your - but I think it could be done. However I do think that when dogs have different energy levels it will always be a bit problematical. You will need to be quite proactive with the lab in training and in entertaining - so I suppose it comes down to how much you are prepared to work with the pup. He's going to be high energy at least til he's 2, and yes your existing 2 will have to accommodate - its far different than offering respite. Good luck whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 catgeo24

thanks for the message.. I was also wondering if anyone had any tips on the amount of exercise and walks the lab will need???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

We have a Lab whos 9 and a half now. Our lady was very boisterous and hyper (in a nice way!) but did really start to grow up and calm down once she hit 2 yrs. On average an hour to an hour and a half a day with off lead time would be ok, and obviously if any extra is on offer all the better. Lots of interaction and company too to exercise the brain. They do really calm down as they mature and make a great pet and soulmate. I would imagine if you do bring this dog into your family she will find her place as she starts to feel secure and that shes there to stay.

Advertisement