Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Managers in World Football Right Now

• 02-04-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

For me I think its going to be Mourinho and Pep.
    They're both legends in my eyes, their personality never seems to amaze me and how they tackle situations.
    I just can't separate them.
    By best the following factors have to be also take in consideration, would you play under this manager ? The managers personality and what he did in his career, how far he got, what achievements he made.

Sir Alex, can be included in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In before somebody says David Moyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mourinho and Guardiola are good tacticians but in the case of the former, his constant spouting of utter bollocks and general classlessness is very irritating and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

That_Guy wrote: »
    Mourinho and Guardiola are good tacticians but in the case of the former, his constant spouting of utter bollocks and general classlessness is very irritating and annoying.

Your talking about Mourinho right ??
    How can you not love the man, did you not hear his post-match conference after the Arsenal game once asked why he left the game early.
    Here it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q490yFaVjc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Ottmar Hitzfeld, his legacy will never be forgotten in Dortmund :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottmar_Hitzfeld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Mourinho the best? He's certainly the most annoying.

I'd say right now it's probably Klopp and Diego Simeone. Pep has managed the two best teams over the past 5 years. I'd like to see him build something.

• Advertisement

I don't know how can you call a legend annoying, who do you support Red Crow, for God sake that man won CL with Inter Milan !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Klopp, probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Mourinho. No question. Achieved success at every club (won at least 1 league title with every club he's managed; throw in cups and the Champions League and his CV is one of the best). God...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Klopp is a bit over his horizon...okay, I'm a bit annoyed with the match in Madrid now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Brendan Rodgers will go on to become one of the best managers imo.

• Advertisement

You could call Jupp Henkes or Vincent Del Bosque as on of the best, but I doubt I would want to be training them, they don't seem as those kind of fan managers I can go out or about with or crack some your mama so fat jokes, do you know what mean....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You could call Jupp Henkes or Vincent Del Bosque as on of the best, but I doubt I would want to be training them, they don't seem as those kind of fan managers I can go out or about with or crack some your mama so fat jokes, do you know what mean....

No

Still v good managers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Mourinho, Ancelotti, Pep then a gap to the rest.

I like Klopp and I admire him but he shouldn't be held in the same regard as managers who have won multiple European Cups, not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Diego Simeone is doing great things with Athletico Madrid this season and is worth a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mourinho is the best currently.

Two trebles (Porto and Inter), 2 Premier League's with Chelsea, a La Liga with Real Madrid. Throw in the 5 or 6 domestic cups he's won outside of the trebles too. Fantastic record.

He's done it time and time again with different teams in different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I don't know how can you call a legend annoying

Why ever not? :confused:

Suprised no one said Ferguson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Your talking about Mourinho right ??
    How can you not love the man, did you not hear his post-match conference after the Arsenal game once asked why he left the game early.
    Here it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q490yFaVjc

I did and found it utterly cringey. Good manager but his constant downplaying of his players chances of winning the title in the public eye is not "mind games" it's just utter stupidity in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Essien wrote: »
    Mourinho, Ancelotti, Pep then a gap to the rest.

I like Klopp and I admire him but he shouldn't be held in the same regard as managers who have won multiple European Cups, not yet anyway.

Winning things when you've got the most money and the best players is easier than winning on a budget. You can't just compare lists of trophies.

Guardiola wouldn't have half as many trophies if Messi didn't exist. Mourinho wouldn't if he'd ever had to so much as spell the word "budget".

Not that money alone is the only factor behind their successes, but it certainly is a major one.

• Advertisement

Suprised no one said Ferguson

The thread title says right now so thought that would rule Sir Alex out.

The thread title says right now so thought that would rule Sir Alex out.

But in the description I said Ferguson could be mentioned.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

But in the description I said Ferguson could be mentioned.

Who do you support?

edit - City. I don't get the point of asking who's the best now and then including Fergie whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Diego Simeone is doing great things with Athletico Madrid this season and is worth a mention.

What Simeone has done with Atleti is quite remarkable and wins the punching above his weight award hands down. His achievements over the last 2 years are arguably more impressive than any other manager can come up with in that timeframe.

Pep and Mourinho probably the two biggest names at the moment.

The question I would be interested in hearing the answer to is "who will be talking about as the best manager in 5/10 years time?"

Certainly you would expect Pep and Mou to still be around.

Simeone, Klopp, Rodgers? Who of the rising stars will be up there as arguably the most sought after manager in the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Lippi. League titles, Champions League, World Cup winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The best for me like most I'd say are Guardiola and Mourinho. After that you have Ancelotti and Pellegrini for me. Personally I think Pellegrini will make it a top three soon.
    Then there are the up and coming brigade led by Simeone with Blanc and Rogers there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kinda hard to say as money shouts loudly in football.

In terms of bangs for your buck - Klopp would be more deserving a mention than say Ancelotti, Mourinho or Guardiola for all their success. In the next few years Rodgers will join him. Klopp will probably have to move to Spain or England so unbalanced has the Bundesliga become.

Morzadec wrote: »
    The question I would be interested in hearing the answer to is "who will be talking about as the best manager in 5/10 years time?"

Now is the perfect time to mention David Moyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

What he has done is fantastic over the last two seasons.

He's taken a club that has underachieved significantly over the last 15 years given it's size and breathed new life into it. On a restricted budget due to debts the club has.

Look at the money both Real and Barca spent on superstars this summer and compare it to Atleti's overall squad spend.

I really hope he lands either La Liga or the Champions League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

In no actual order.
    Carlo,
    Pep,
    Mourinho,
    Klopp,
    Simeone,
    Rodgers,

Although we should note that these are managers in the spotlight. There are managers in many clubs who won't ever win stuff but might actually be better than the 5 I listed. Certainly don't agree with assessing managers based solely on what titles they win. Lots of duds if viewed that way. Winning is a factor but it's not the only factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Vicente del Bosque

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Harsh to leave out international managers. Del Bosque in particular has had amazing success, and I'm sure he would at club level if he went back to club management.

Hitzfeld is doing a terrific job with Switzerland also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Vicente del Bosque

This, take a look at the man's record. Pep, JM & Klopp are right behind him. If Sir Alex returns he is up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sean "ginger messiah" Dyche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

mitosis wrote: »
    Lippi. League titles, Champions League, World Cup winner.

Yes, and led the first Chinese club to win the Asian Champions League.

Much harder to win if you're not in one of the stronger leagues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In before somebody says David Moyes:)

And Steve Staunton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Has to be Mourinho IMO. Master tactician.

If I had to pick a manager right now it would be Mourinho.

Say what you like about him, but he knows how to set up a team and get the best from them.

Winning CL with that Inter team really deserves more credit then he got.

About 5-10 excellent managers around, but still think he is pick of the bunch right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Amazing to see that rodgers stock has risen so much.

And Im delighted he will be a top manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Benitez deserves a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think every good manager does things their own way to an extent but for me Pep is the most revolutionary manager there's been in a long time.

Most managers have varying levels of refinement of the same stuff everyone else is doing. And the measure of success is the trophies they win so there's nothing wrong with that.

But I think that Guardiola is also creating a new environment that's going to have a massive influence on managers for the next twenty years.

We've seen teams having to catch up to that great Barca team in terms of tactics, technical ability and the energy shown on the pitch. I think Guardiola is a huge factor in what I'd consider a general increase in the quality of football played right across Europe - both following that general Spanish football culture but also how teams have risen to counter it - the brilliant Bayern and Dortmund teams last year that matched or even surpassed their intensity but instead went for pace and ruthlessness in their counter-attacks.

So yes, he's certainly had a leg up in getting to manage some of the best teams of our generation but even ignoring the expected level of success he's done something remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Suprised so many saying Rodgers. Yes got Swansea to up to premiership and playing good football. Had a poor first season at Liverpool where a lot of Pool fans wanted him out. Now having a great season. No where near others mentioned. And for people saying "If Pep didn't have Messi" etc etc. Ah Sure if Rodgers didn't have Suarez. Stupid arguments. The fact is they do have those players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pep also did it with Barca B, won their group and won promotion. Just has to be said as folks saying he only managed top tier players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Suprised so many saying Rodgers. Yes got Swansea to up to premiership and playing good football. Had a poor first season at Liverpool where a lot of Pool fans wanted him out. Now having a great season. No where near others mentioned. And for people saying "If Pep didn't have Messi" etc etc. Ah Sure if Rodgers didn't have Suarez. Stupid arguments. The fact is they do have those players.

He's been pretty damn impressive this season and is a shoo-in for manager of the year IMO. That said he is really still a novice in managerial terms compared to some of the others but he certainly seems to be a quick learner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It has to be Guardiola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Sean "ginger messiah" Dyche.

Done some job with Burnley this season.
    Benitez deserves a mention.

Take a look at Serie A, he doesn't. A good manager who can take a team to a top four place in the league or a cup trophy but not world class.

Mourinho is the best, I cant stand him personally but his record speaks for itself. He has proven he doesn't need endless riches either to win things with his spells at Porto and Inter. If anything when he has had silly money he has been less impressive. Excellent man manager by all accounts too and a tactical master.

Im not a fan of his style of football but you cant argue it doesn't produce results.
    Would I have him at Liverpool? No chance, his antics taint him just a bit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

COYW wrote: »

Take a look at Serie A, he doesn't. A good manager who can take a team to a top four place in the league or a cup trophy but not world class.

Why not? Isn't that pretty much all Mourinho does nowadays?

COYW wrote: »

What about winning a league a couple of times?

Why not? Isn't that pretty much all Mourinho does nowadays?

Benitez just needs a club to suit him, he isn't a short term manager, he needs a long term project. He had 6 years at Liverpool and in that time they won a CL and FA Cup and consistently bar the last year finished in the Top 4 not to mention countless CL semi final appearances.

He also did a very good job at Chelsea considering not a single fan wanted him there. My main problem with Benitez was he was too negative, too often when a game was there for the taking he never just went for it, playing 2 DM at home against dross used to make me want to cry. The fans are a lot more pleased with the football style these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement