Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Managers in World Football Right Now

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

People seem to be criticising managers (eg. Benitez, Klopp) for not doing with decent teams who are not quite the top dogs in their countries what Mourinho does with the richest teams in their countries. A very unfair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Suprised so many saying Rodgers. Yes got Swansea to up to premiership and playing good football. Had a poor first season at Liverpool where a lot of Pool fans wanted him out. Now having a great season. No where near others mentioned. And for people saying "If Pep didn't have Messi" etc etc. Ah Sure if Rodgers didn't have Suarez. Stupid arguments. The fact is they do have those players.

Granted the first half of last season was poor enough, but have a look after christmas when sturridge and coutinho signed. His record in the last calendar year is unbelievable. His stock was risen dramatically and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

rob316 wrote: »
    Mourinho is the best, I cant stand him personally but his record speaks for itself. He has proven he doesn't need endless riches either to win things with his spells at Porto and Inter. If anything when he has had silly money he has been less impressive. Excellent man manager by all accounts too and a tactical master.

Im not a fan of his style of football but you cant argue it doesn't produce results.
    Would I have him at Liverpool? No chance, his antics taint him just a bit for me.

If you posted this before he joined Real it would be hard to argue against his man management skills and tactical mastery. There hasn't been a whole lot of evidence of either from Mourinho over the last few years, though.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

#1 Mourinho (would like to see how he fairs without big money but)

#2 Pep (^ dito)

#3 Rafa

#4 Ancelotti

managers that have come on really strong and look to be the main threat to the above elite in the very near future...

#1 Klopp

#2 Rodgers

#3 Simeone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Why not? Isn't that pretty much all Mourinho does nowadays?
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    What about winning a league a couple of times?

As I said RB is a good manager but his last league title was years ago. JM has won the league in many countries including Spain during the tenure of Barca, who were the greatest club side ever for some. His list of honours is remarkable. Nobody can deny that. I would put him ahead of Rafa.
    Benitez just needs a club to suit him, he isn't a short term manager, he needs a long term project. He had 6 years at Liverpool and in that time they won a CL and FA Cup and consistently bar the last year finished in the Top 4 not to mention countless CL semi final appearances.

I totally agree. Arsenal just keeping popping to the front of my mind when I think of jobs for Rafa. I think he could do an excellent job with them. Arsenal are a patient club, who will give him the time and money he needs to build a squad over a few years. He would reward them with a team that can genuinely compete with the big boys and bring them trophies, maybe a PL title even, if they (the board) invest properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Winning things when you've got the most money and the best players is easier than winning on a budget. You can't just compare lists of trophies.

Guardiola wouldn't have half as many trophies if Messi didn't exist. Mourinho wouldn't if he'd ever had to so much as spell the word "budget".

Not that money alone is the only factor behind their successes, but it certainly is a major one.

You can't use the money thing with Mourinho really. He won the Champions League with Porto, an incredible achievement, the money was thrown at him afterwards. Don't recall him spending vast amounts at Inter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

COYW wrote: »
    As I said RB is a good manager but his last league title was years ago. JM has won the league in many countries including Spain during the tenure of Barca, who were the greatest club side ever for some. His list of honours is remarkable. Nobody can deny that. I would put him ahead of Rafa.

I totally agree. Arsenal just keeping popping to the front of my mind when I think of jobs for Rafa. I think he could do an excellent job with them. Arsenal are a patient club, who will give him the time and money he needs to build a squad over a few years. He would reward them with a team that can genuinely compete with the big boys and bring them trophies, maybe a PL title even, if they (the board) invest properly.

His time at Real is seen as a failure. Alienated his team in the end. Reduced a very talented squad to little more than a band of thugs in many of their biggest games and still failed to produce. Effectively out of the CL after the first leg against Dortmund last season and PSG again this season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ancelotti for me now. Does brilliant everywhere he goes no matter what the circumstances. Definitely the best now for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Paisley is the only man with three European Cup's. Not even Alex could manage that. Pep and Jose will join that elite list next I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

How can you not love the man

Can't work out if this is trolling? The man is disgusting. Imagine gouging the eye of a fellow professional.

Good manager though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Please god no. Don't get me wrong, Rafa is a good manager (not a great though by any stretch), but his football is just plain dire. And he's not shown himself capable of actually winning a league title in 7 years in the league as it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Giovanni Trappatoni

Won leagues all over Europe and got Ireland to the Euros and very close to the 2010 World Cup.
    Negative tactics but a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Roberto Martinez wouldn't be out of place in these discussions. All the talk so far has generally been about managers at clubs with historical pedigree, huge budgets and/or squads that have been long established (The exception would be Klopp)

I've often wondered how Pep would do if he picked up a team fighting in the bottom half of a top tier somewhere. People will say Martinez got Wigan relegated, but I think the truth is they would have been relegated years before only for him. They won an FA Cup last year, not once playing at home, and beating Man City in the final. Wigan with silverware.

This year he has taken Everton forward after Moyes. They're playing good football, and a win against Arsenal this weekend puts them in a good position to claim a Champions League position. They have a smallish squad, but he has been clever in the transfer market with a small budget.

I say fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Giovanni Trappatoni

Won leagues all over Europe and got Ireland to the Euros and very close to the 2010 World Cup.
    Negative tactics but a winner.

His tenure with the RoI damaged people's (RoI fans) view of him, unfairly. He was an outstanding manager who played good football when he had the players to do so. A tactical master who deserves to be listed as a great.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

People will say Martinez got Wigan relegated, but I think the truth is they would have been relegated years before only for him.

The truth is that Wigan were never relegated from the Premiership under anybody else so I don't think you can whitewash that. Similarly Everton are playing prettier football but they're at almost an identical level to the last few years despite a comparative influx of talent under Martinez. Jury is still out on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Take a look at Serie A, he doesn't. A good manager who can take a team to a top four place in the league or a cup trophy but not world class.

Take a look at Serie A? What would you expect? There's a reason Juventus are absolutely miles ahead and Roma are a better team as well.

In his first season comfortably getting CL having lost their best player and bedding in a fair few new recruits is not an incredible result but it would've been simply ludicrous to have won the league with what is still a fairly mediocre Napoli side.

When you think about top class managers there aren't that many on the list but Benitez is one of them. Maybe not as groundbreaking as Guardiola or efficient as Mourinho but on a par with most of the other top managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Big Phil Scolari.

Doesn't have a great reputation in the UK because of his tenure with Chelsea, but is a an excellent club manager in Brazil having won the Copa Libertadores twice and multiple domestic cups and championships.

Won a World Cup with Brazil and has completely reinvigorated a pretty demotivated Brazilian squad into arguably the joint favourites to win the World Cup on home soil.

Also did a pretty good job with Portugal getting them to the final of Euro 2004 and fourth place at the 2006 World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola. They represent two very different styles, two different philosophies, two different personalities but they've proven that they are winners, that they are able to have major influences on any game and that they are two managers with a set of ideals that work. For me, it's Barcelona/Real Madrid, Messi/Ronaldo, Guardiola/Mourinho, those are,the defining rivalries in football of the 21st century thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Think Conte doesn`t get enough praise, has done fantastic with Juve since he went there. Atletico will be fecked if Simeone left there anytime soon, he has really moulded them into his own.
    Props to Rudi Garcia too who has done AMAZING in the transfer market & on the pitch to be in single digits chasing Juve is some job atm. He`d be perfect for PSG or Barca in the summer I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

The truth is that Wigan were never relegated from the Premiership under anybody else so I don't think you can whitewash that. Similarly Everton are playing prettier football but they're at almost an identical level to the last few years despite a comparative influx of talent under Martinez. Jury is still out on him.
    I wouldn't rate Martinez that highly yet. I can't wait to see him buy defenders at Everton, a task he didn't seem able to do at Wigan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

5live wrote: »
    I wouldn't rate Martinez that highly yet. I can't wait to see him buy defenders at Everton, a task he didn't seem able to do at Wigan.

Can't see him buying any in Summer. Unless it's for depth. Striker/Midfield is priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Its a hard one to call, would have said Mourinho for sure only his last year in Madrid tainted things somewhat and Chelsea could well end up potless. They win the league, he's still top in my books. If not, it's Pep and it is between the pair of them for top spot, given that Pep pretty much perfected Tiki Taka and his CV is ridiculous.

Conte has to be in the discussion though. Juve are an absolute machine in Italy, pissed the league this season and last and his first season they went the whole season unbeaten and their only defeat that entire season came in the Coppa Italia final. They seem totally unassailable in Italy for the time being, they were languishing around 7th before he took over so creating that in 3 years is some achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

AdamD wrote: »
    You can't use the money thing with Mourinho really. He won the Champions League with Porto, an incredible achievement, the money was thrown at him afterwards. Don't recall him spending vast amounts at Inter either.

The Porto thing is fair enough, obviously an amazing achievement, but at Inter he had the richest team in the league again, and Juve weren't even in the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I don't know how can you call a legend annoying, who do you support Red Crow, for God sake that man won CL with Inter Milan !!

I don't get this. You seem to assume Inter Milan had a poor side that season. Etoo Sneijder Lucio Maicon Zanetti Cambiasso. Any top manager would have done very well with them in their squad 4-5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

GTR63 wrote: »
    Think Conte doesn`t get enough praise, has done fantastic with Juve since he went there. Atletico will be fecked if Simeone left there anytime soon, he has really moulded them into his own.
    Props to Rudi Garcia too who has done AMAZING in the transfer market & on the pitch to be in single digits chasing Juve is some job atm. He`d be perfect for PSG or Barca in the summer I think.

I fully expect Atletico to be stripped of their brightest and best this summer. Costa Koke Filipe Luis and Simeone all to be head hunted by the big clubs in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

His tenure with the RoI damaged people's (RoI fans) view of him, unfairly. He was an outstanding manager who played good football when he had the players to do so. A tactical master who deserves to be listed as a great.

His last campaign and Euros was disaster, but you cant forget where he got us to either.

Remember he got a team that got beat 5-2 to Cyprus and needed last minute winners against mighty San Marino.

We went unbeaten throughout the WC 2010 campaign. Yes we drew fair few but we were hard to beat. We even played some good football against Italy twice. He was unlucky in Paris.

Next campaign was a success even if got lucky with playoff draw.

Sadly I think he should have left after Euros, but it be wrong to say it was a disaster wen he was in charge.

He got us to major finals and unlucky not to have been 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Has anyone in this thread ever heard of the word "Porto"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

guardiola is surely the best. not that attention seeking "happy" one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He will be listed as a great. but he was already listed as a great back in the late 90's. He's done very little since to have improved that greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

MarkY91 wrote: »
    guardiola is surely the best. not that attention seeking "happy" one

rubbish. Only been at 2 really big clubs with limitless budgets with 2 clubs expected to win their respective leagues
    Jose has done it at many more, with small and large budgets and with none favourite clubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

rubbish. Only been at 2 really big clubs with limitless budgets with 2 clubs expected to win their respective leagues
    Jose has done it at many more, with small and large budgets and with none favourite clubs

hes hardly "done it" at real madrid.

guardiola smashed records left right and centre in the bundesliga and will probably win the CL in may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

As was suggested on a recent podcast, it would be great if all managers were put into a bowl at the start of the year and teams drew them out. Mourinho at Palace, Pulis at Chelsea etc. [not serious suggestion]

On Guardiola, i would love to see him at a team not expected to win, but dont think it is something we will ever see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Where do Barcelona B fit in here? He was mighty impressive with them too.

Jose also had terrific players to work with at porto and inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Klopp could certainly be the best but he needs to leave Dortmund they are too much of selling club unfortunately, he has built a fantastic team there that will undoubtedly be picked apart again this summer.

Klopp is just a great character not a terrible character like Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The Rogers aka BRod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Klopp could certainly be the best but he needs to leave Dortmund they are too much of selling club unfortunately, he has built a fantastic team there that will undoubtedly be picked apart again this summer.

Klopp is just a great character not a terrible character like Mourinho.

They've sold 3 big players in the past 3 years. Götze, Kagawa and Sahin.
    They have spent more bringing players in than they have made selling players the past 3 years.

What are you talking about :confused:.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    hes hardly "done it" at real madrid.

guardiola smashed records left right and centre in the bundesliga and will probably win the CL in may

How brave of him to take over the worlds greatest team.

#hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

David Moyes the footballing genius it's plainly obvious.

/Thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mourinhios Porto team had some brilliant players in it. The fact that they cheated their way through games that weren't going their way seems to have been brushed under the carpet.

• Advertisement

Mourinhios Porto team had some brilliant players in it. The fact that they cheated their way through games that weren't going their way seems to have been brushed under the carpet.

Barcelona were angels, alright......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Porto had brilliant players because Mourinho built the team and won back to back European trophies. Far more impressive than anything any other manager has done in recent years.
    You means the way Guardiola's team cheat through games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Have to second the mention of Rudi Garcia. If Juve weren't tearing it up in Serie A, he'd be getting a huge amount of credit right now.

Klopp's stock seems to have waned in the last year or so. Seems maybe a bit too dogmatic, a criticism you could level at Pep as well. Who knows, they could be slowly turning into Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Oat23 wrote: »
    They've sold 3 big players in the past 3 years. Götze, Kagawa and Sahin.
    They have spent more bringing players in than they have made selling players the past 3 years.

What are you talking about :confused:.

Gotze and Lewandowski sold to there league rivals in 2 seasons, that is the very definition of a selling club, Arsenal do the same and that's what they are called. The vultures will be circling for Reus and Gundogan again this summer I have no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gotze and Lewandowski sold to there league rivals in 2 seasons, that is the very definition of a selling club.
    Gotze's release clause was triggered. What were they to do?

Lewandowski wouldn't sign a new contract. What were they to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Gotze's release clause was triggered. What were they to do?

Lewandowski wouldn't sign a new contract. What were they to do?

This. Plus Lewandowski wasn't even sold. He let his contract run out and is joining Bayern on a free.

People have been saying the exact same thing about Dortmund for the past 3 years. Hummels, Reus, Gündogan, Kuba are all still there despite being nailed on for a move away every summer. I guess you all have to be right at some point. Gündogan might leave because he hasn't played at all this year and his contract expires next summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement