Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time car buyer, should I be driving?

Options
  • 02-04-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi guys, If anyone could offer any input into my current predicament I'd be ever so grateful !:o

Myself & the other half recently bought a car (used) from a dealership.. circa 15th march this year. I obviously had insurance sorted prior to picking it upPaid money over got a certificate saying I had paid etc & told i'd have to wait for logbook in post in a couple of days, then I could tax it etc.

(this was a saturday, with a bank holiday the following monday) he said with the BH it'd be an extra few days for logbook- GRAND.

I rang up the following tuesday and got the car changed to my name (from the moths) as it turned out it'd be better for insurance by a little bit. guy said no problem.

Now, my questions for those a lot more educated than me, is this,
    Can I be driving the car? (NCT is booked for may 16th, earliest i could and insurance is in check, and I've also got full license)

and also should i be worried about the time its taken to get the logbook? (I checked motortax.ie and it says vehicle reg'd on 20th march)

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Hi guys, If anyone could offer any input into my current predicament I'd be ever so grateful !:o

Myself & the other half recently bought a car (used) from a dealership.. circa 15th march this year. I obviously had insurance sorted prior to picking it upPaid money over got a certificate saying I had paid etc & told i'd have to wait for logbook in post in a couple of days, then I could tax it etc.

(this was a saturday, with a bank holiday the following monday) he said with the BH it'd be an extra few days for logbook- GRAND.

I rang up the following tuesday and got the car changed to my name (from the moths) as it turned out it'd be better for insurance by a little bit. guy said no problem.

Now, my questions for those a lot more educated than me, is this,
    Can I be driving the car? (NCT is booked for may 16th, earliest i could and insurance is in check, and I've also got full license)

and also should i be worried about the time its taken to get the logbook? (I checked motortax.ie and it says vehicle reg'd on 20th march)

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

I found it a bit difficult to understand your post but here goes:

I take it the car has no NCT? Then it shouldn't be driven. As to your chances of being caught, well that's a gamble for you to weigh up but bear in mind it's 5 points and likely a solid fine if you come across the wrong Garda. If the NCT is recently out and you have evidence of booking then a Guard might be inclined towards leniency but no guarantees.

Re logbook: in my experience, usually takes a couple of weeks to be processed. Wouldn't be worried yet but if it's not arrived by the end of the week then a call to the garage to confirm it was sent off is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

Took me a month to get my log book.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

hanloj1 wrote: »
    Took me a month to get my log book.

If you check motortax.ie it will tell you if it has changed hands recently. If so then you are grand. Takes a couple of weeks for them to get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Will be grand until the NCT just keep proof of booking with you. Sure what is the NCT anyway only a piece of paper in the window to keep Gaybo happy. It is in no way an indication of the cars roadworthiness so plough on I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭chrisguy116

Good to know about logbook - saw a few posts saying "got mine in 4 days" etc .. Will give it to the end of the week so!
    And yeah ill do my best to drive as little as possible I think - a couple times a week I need to for work & family. Suppose it's not my fault the NCT's closest time was 7 weeks away ! Cheers for the replies guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

think i did mine 8 months too late lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Good to know about logbook - saw a few posts saying "got mine in 4 days" etc .. Will give it to the end of the week so!
    And yeah ill do my best to drive as little as possible I think - a couple times a week I need to for work & family. Suppose it's not my fault the NCT's closest time was 7 weeks away ! Cheers for the replies guys!

Give the NCT people a ring. Normally, when you are applying for the NCT, if they can't give you a test date within 28 days, the test is free. When people remind them of that, they always seem to magically come up with other peoples canceled dates to give applicants, as they don't want to give you the test for free. I am not sure what happens if you have already accepted a different date & you are ringing up to get an earlier one. But give them a ring, it can't hurt to ask.

As for driving without the NCT cert, its up to you, but you are taking a big risk of a hefty fine and A LOT of points if you are caught. If you have proof on you that you have applied for the NCT, it would take a Guard in a very bad mood to throw the book at you. But technically, he is entitled to do so if he wishes. If he decides not to be lenient, you are in deep do do, especially when it is time to renew your insurance and you have 5 points on your record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

There are plenty of threads in this forum about people getting nabbed for driving with no NCT, even though they have one booked, so some guards will take action if you meet them. Don't park your car in a public place until the tax is sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

If the NCT was out when you bought the car, why didn't you get the dealer to NCT it for you.?
    They always seem to have a way of getting a NCT booking, far quicker than Joe Public.

Advertisement