Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solved ***Burning Win 7 image*** Solved

Options
  • 02-04-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I burned a genuine Win 7 ISO image to DVD using imgburn and it burned fine but it will not boot. The issue is with the burn I would think as all the boot order settings on the machine are correct.

I just used the "Burn image to disc" option but seem to remember in earlier versions of imgburn there used to be a check box to tic if you wanted it bootable or something like that? It's so long since I needed to do it via a disc that I'm not doing it correctly.

Is there an extra setting within imgburn I should be looking at?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I burned a genuine Win 7 ISO image to DVD using imgburn and it burned fine but it will not boot. The issue is with the burn I would think as all the boot order settings on the machine are correct.

I just used the "Burn image to disc" option but seem to remember in earlier versions of imgburn there used to be a check box to tic if you wanted it bootable or something like that? It's so long since I needed to do it via a disc that I'm not doing it correctly.

Is there an extra setting within imgburn I should be looking at?
    Try CDBurnerXP. http://www.filehippo.com/download_cdburnerxp/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I knew I encountered this issue way back and finally remembered what I done to sort it. I had to extract the Img to a folder and use the "Burn files or folders" to Disc option in ImgBurn, that gave me the option to make the disc bootable & once I filled in those parameters & burned the disc it boots perfectly every time. The disc has SP1 and the ei.cfg file removed so it will install any edition. Happy days :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I knew I encountered this issue way back and finally remembered what I done to sort it. I had to extract the Img to a folder and use the "Burn files or folders" to Disc option in ImgBurn, that gave me the option to make the disc bootable & once I filled in those parameters & burned the disc it boots perfectly every time. The disc has SP1 and the ei.cfg file removed so it will install any edition. Happy days :)

Interesting. I reckon the .iso you had didn't contain the boot code hence imgburn didn't include it. Nice tip for getting around this though, never heard it before! :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

yoyo wrote: »
    Interesting. I reckon the .iso you had didn't contain the boot code hence imgburn didn't include it. Nice tip for getting around this though, never heard it before! :)

Nick

The ISO is an Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River and it has the boot folder and boot file included but for whatever reason ImgBurn didn't play nice, it would burn it fine but I couldn't boot from the resulting burn on any machine.

I don't know if you know Nick? but MS released a second Win 7 image after they released the first one with SP1 and it is recognizable via the -U in its name string

The latest version of Windows 7 DVD image available is of media refresh version, which commonly known as Windows 7 SP1-U (Media Refresh). Microsoft released the media refresh version of Windows 7 DVD media to fix a rare bug related to invalid computer name when a small set of computer names returned an error when used to install Windows 7. Otherwise, the Windows 7 with SP1 and Windows 7 with SP1-U (Media Refresh) is completely the same.

Advertisement