Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repatriation - how to adjust after moving home

Options
  • 02-04-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I recently returned home to Dublin after living abroad for 2.5 years. I was just wondering if anyone else on here is in the same boat? If so, how are you getting on? Myself I'm finding it a little difficult, I'm home 4 weeks now and I'm almost tempted to book a flight back to where I had previously been living however I know I should stick it out and give living here a chance before taking off again. I'd be really interested to hear from other people who have been in this situation. I know it will take time to settle back in but I feel so lost in my own country. Can anyone lend any advice?:(

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It all depends on why you went away, and more importantly, why you decided to come back. I was away for a similar time period, but didn't like what I was doing when I was abroad, weighed up my options and decided to come back to study. It was a good move from my point of view even though I missed the lifestyle I had just left.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Well after 25 years anyone would find it hard. Stick with it awhile and see if you settle in. Give yourself time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I've just come back to rural Galway after living in Africa for 2 years. It's like culture shock coming back. Life is so different here. Granted I'm back about 48 hours so haven't had too much issues yet. The previous time I came back to Ireland after 18 months I found surrounding myself with friends and getting involved in things eg tag rugby a big help. I also ended up finding and falling in love with the little things that make Ireland special eg Galway city on a summers day, live music available most nights of the week etc etc

Like someone above said, it really depends why you came home. Did you choose to come home or did you HAVE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well after 25 years anyone would find it hard. Stick with it awhile and see if you settle in. Give yourself time.

Think they said 2.5 years, not 25?

On the other hand, I know people who are abroad, because they had to go for work, not because they really wanted to go.

I was happy with my decision to come back, but there have been times when I wanted to go abroad again and couldn't, and it made be very unhappy.

I'm at a stage where I want to head away again. Will I ever settle? Who knows...

Advertisement