Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Damage before Contracts Signed

Options
  • 02-04-2014 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Semi hypothetical question:

I'm in the process of buying a house; went to view the property again and noticed that some opportunist thieves made off with gates leading into the back garden.

The Auctioneer says that these things happen (very insightful). The problem is that its a distressed property so there's nothing to stop these things happening again.

So here's my question, in the event of further damage - what scope is there to renegotiate the price?

Obviously I can still walk away but has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Semi hypothetical question:

I'm in the process of buying a house; went to view the property again and noticed that some opportunist thieves made off with gates leading into the back garden.

The Auctioneer says that these things happen (very insightful). The problem is that its a distressed property so there's nothing to stop these things happening again.

So here's my question, in the event of further damage - what scope is there to renegotiate the price?

Obviously I can still walk away but has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Where do you have the gates stashed away. That was good thinking on your behalf lol. Next time take the roof off instead for a bigger drop in price ;)

All jokes above ;) lol. as for your question, if it where me buying, I'd be asking for a reduced price

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Have already moved the gates on thru Done Deal :D

But will just have to play the waiting game, hopefully nothing further happens or like you said will ask for a discount to cover the repairs / replacement, etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

morning of exchanging contracts, inspect the house. if only the garden gate, not so bad . Could break in and take all white goods and radiator s and all copper piping. Fecking "Group 4" stickers on windows are like a sign post to thieves that it is a bank property.

Advertisement