Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When i hit the volume button on keyboard..

Options
  • 02-04-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

it brings up taskbar above firefox when i am surfing the net.

So as opposed to increasing the volume it just brings up a taskbar - it as though the controls have being altered - I've obviously hit a shortcut or something.

When i hit the mute button Firefox goes full screen.

Does that make sense? Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Those buttons usually have dual functions - one for when you press the button with no other button and another function when you press that button while holding down the 'Fn' button.

Some laptops allow you to 'flip' this option so that the 'Fn' button is assumed which means that you then have to hold down the 'Fn' to invoke the function that you previously got when you hit the button without pressing 'Fn' - if you know what I mean.

It sounds like you have invoked this option, try holding down the 'Fn' button when pressing the mute button, if you get the mute function then it means you've invoked that option. Check your user guide to see how to cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

coylemj wrote: »
    Those buttons usually have dual functions - one for when you press the button with no other button and another function when you press that button while holding down the 'Fn' button.

Some laptops allow you to 'flip' this option so that the 'Fn' button is assumed which means that you then have to hold down the 'Fn' to invoke the function that you previously got when you hit the button without pressing 'Fn' - if you know what I mean.

It sounds like you have invoked this option, try holding down the 'Fn' button when pressing the mute button, if you get the mute function then it means you've invoked that option. Check your user guide to see how to cancel it.

Sound.

OK - so when i press FN and volume up button it does indeed increase the volume as normal. However I want to increase volume just by pressing volume up button without pressing FB button also - does that make sense? How do i get it back to normal??! No idea where my user guide is!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

What model laptop do you have?

Some newer laptops, such as Toshiba and Dell, allow you to configure this in the BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OK - so when i press FN and volume up button it does indeed increase the volume as normal. However I want to increase volume just by pressing volume up button without pressing FB button also - does that make sense? How do i get it back to normal??! No idea where my user guide is!

Yes that makes sense, it's as I suggested. What other function is indicated on the volume up button and can you describe the colours used for both functions on the button and what colour is used on the 'Fn' button?

Suggest you go to the manufacturer's website and download the user guide.

• Advertisement

mike_ie wrote: »
    What model laptop do you have?

It is a Toshiba!

Karsini wrote: »
    Some newer laptops, such as Toshiba and Dell, allow you to configure this in the BIOS.

BIOS means?

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes that makes sense, it's as I suggested. What other function is indicated on the volume up button and can you describe the colours used for both functions on the button and what colour is used on the 'Fn' button?

Suggest you go to the manufacturer's website and download the user guide.

On the volume up button there is just an arrow pointing upwards so to speak.

I am bit lost with colour reference? All the buttons are black! Although i sense that is not quite what you are asking!

BIOS means?

Press F2 when powering on the laptop (before Windows loads) and look for this option. This is from my Satellite P50t.

Photo%2004-04-2014%2023%2020%2007.jpg

Karsini wrote: »
    Press F2 when powering on the laptop (before Windows loads) and look for this option. This is from my Satellite P50t.

Photo%2004-04-2014%2023%2020%2007.jpg

Cheers - sorted now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement