Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Bay Breweries

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Of course there is a 'scene' - beer launches, pop-up beer and matched food restaurants, tap takeovers, meet the brewer nights, beer club meets, brewery tours, beer education. festivals, conferences, whats that if not a scene?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

drumswan wrote: »
    whats that if not a scene?
    Businesses doing business, mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

did i say he couldn't ask, i simply pointed out that the salt house used not show sport at all and that a generic sports fan,the generic relates to the word fan if you're struggling with it,can watch pretty much any match in most pubs around town,i understand why salthouse don't want to as it would increase the stag type crowd which they don't usually allow in.

You called someone who enjoyed watching sport with a few craft beers a "generic sports fan". You said that along with stags and heineken drinkers (as if there's some connection), that it's not the clientele the Salt House are looking for.

I'm fully aware what the term generic means. If you can't see how you're post was condescending and obnoxious, maybe you're not aware if it's connotations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jh79

did i say he couldn't ask, i simply pointed out that the salt house used not show sport at all and that a generic sports fan,the generic relates to the word fan if you're struggling with it,can watch pretty much any match in most pubs around town,i understand why salthouse don't want to as it would increase the stag type crowd which they don't usually allow in.

They have shown sport for at least the last 4 years.

The Stag type crowd invariably show up and generally don't stay long after they ask for every type of mass produced beer before either leaving or staying for one Fischers. The football doesn't attract them they just hit random pubs on their pub crawl.

BeerNut wrote: »

What has business being involved got to do with it? The same people show up to events around a given thing in different venues across the country, to discuss, share ideas and enjoy that thing - thats the very definition of a 'scene'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Every time I've gone there to watch a match they show the game and the tv is turned off and all is returned to normal as for the idea of stag party showing up because a football match is on is a load of crap. How many stag partys cross the river in Galway ?
    And what would they drink once they get there ?
    Most of my mates won't go there because there is Notting for them to drink or don't like that type of bar
    I've watched plenty of matchs in there and it did Notting but bring customers in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

whats that if not a scene?
    BeerNut wrote: »

Is it not a phase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Is it not a phase?

Well... textmining-worms-copy.jpg

finatron wrote: »
    Every time I've gone there to watch a match they show the game and the tv is turned off
    There is sport on literally all weekend as well as most evenings during the week. And despite the objections, Irish people are generic sports fans who will watch any bloody thing - golf, British football, European football, the one they play over in D4, the national great-gaels-of-Ireland summer bandwagon challenge, you name it.

There is sport on literally all weekend as well as most evenings during the week. And despite the objections, Irish people are generic sports fans who will watch any bloody thing - golf, British football, European football, the one they play over in D4, the national great-gaels-of-Ireland summer bandwagon challenge, you name it.

Ya Irish people watch alot of sport but the salthouse would always favour rugby over football and there was never random sports on it would have to be a big game.
    P Macs in Dublin have the tv in a wee separate bar and it works great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I used to notice the odd bit of soccer shown on the screen in the Salt House with the sound turned down and it was fairly unobtrusive. I think the Oslo is more their "watch sport and get pissed" pub. I loved the atmosphere in the Salt House. The lack of sport in general was a good thing. I'm not a sports fan but I just really find it depressing being in any pub on a Sunday with several TVs blaring out some sport or another. Soccer is just soul destroying. Generally having TVs on sucks the life out of any pub. People invariably watch the TV rather than having a chat. That's what I liked about the Salt House. You could get chatting to anyone in there about beer. There are heaps of other pubs around the place to watch sports and even get non run-of-the-mill beer but not quite the variety of the Salt House for sure, heck sure just head out to the Oslo and you'll be sorted.

squonk wrote: »
    I used to notice the odd bit of soccer shown on the screen in the Salt House with the sound turned down and it was fairly unobtrusive. I think the Oslo is more their "watch sport and get pissed" pub. I loved the atmosphere in the Salt House. The lack of sport in general was a good thing. I'm not a sports fan but I just really find it depressing being in any pub on a Sunday with several TVs blaring out some sport or another. Soccer is just soul destroying. Generally having TVs on sucks the life out of any pub. People invariably watch the TV rather than having a chat. That's what I liked about the Salt House. You could get chatting to anyone in there about beer. There are heaps of other pubs around the place to watch sports and even get non run-of-the-mill beer but not quite the variety of the Salt House for sure, heck sure just head out to the Oslo and you'll be sorted.

Ya I love the salthouse for the chance meetings I've often popped in for 1 or 2 got chatting and spent the hole night out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Folks - Can we get back on-topic please.

Ta.

tHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You called someone who enjoyed watching sport with a few craft beers a "generic sports fan". You said that along with stags and heineken drinkers (as if there's some connection), that it's not the clientele the Salt House are looking for.

I'm fully aware what the term generic means. If you can't see how you're post was condescending and obnoxious, maybe you're not aware if it's connotations.

Firstly i didn't call anyone a generic sports fan, i said they arent Salt House clientele, secondly there is a correlation between stag parties and mass produced beer as ive seen happen far too many times in said pub and thirdly yes they aren't the clientele the pub is after.

Salt House is always far better with the tv off, no need for it to be on.

Firstly i didn't call anyone a generic sports fan, i said they arent Salt House clientele, secondly there is a correlation between stag parties and mass produced beer as ive seen happen far too many times in said pub and thirdly yes they aren't the clientele the pub is after.

Salt House is always far better with the tv off, no need for it to be on.

Generic sport fans are their clientele , hence the Sky / Setanta / bt subscriptions. Have been for at least 4 years.

Final warning...

Final warning...

They are talking about GBB bars, this is the GBB thread no....?

This is the Beers/Wines/Spirits forums, no? Move on from the sports arguments please & keep the discussion topical to the forum.

Want to discuss this further? PM me so as not to drag the thread further off topic.

tHB

To get back on topic growlers are now available in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

jh79 wrote: »
    To get back on topic growlers are now available in Galway.

How much are the growler refills? For say a Of Foam and Fury...and how many pints are in them?

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    How much are the growler refills? For say a Of Foam and Fury...and how many pints are in them?

20 euro for OFAF , around 10 for the rest. 1.8 L ( 3 pints) i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

...and you can use 3 Beoir Vouchers per fill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Picked the first one up from the dark horse today, got the table beer, great to have these available just down the road now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Does one have to buy the growler or is it free with first order ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

11 euro for the growler.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

An empty grower is €11, but they'll fill any 64 US oz. growler. I used my JW Sweetman one in Against the Grain yesterday.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tried the table beer the other day, lovely stuff :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Strange comments from the judges but got a silver at the world beer awards

Bydrs6SIMAAnp7k.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

RasTa wrote: »

Bydrs6SIMAAnp7k.jpg

Oh dear, looks like the judges need some education

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not slagging the beer off here, but how does it win silver if the judges think it should be in the saison category? :confused:

How does it taste anything like a Saison? The judges were obviously high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

irish_goat wrote: »
    Not slagging the beer off here, but how does it win silver if the judges think it should be in the saison category? :confused:

That's what I was thinking. "This chilli tastes more like a stew, but hey, we'll still give it second prize in the chilli cook off!"

FFS, Foam & Fury is akin to Pliny the elder and not a saison. So, did someone stick the wrong label on a bottle? Or a mistake made during judging? There is no possible way any judge worth their salt could make that mistake without contamination of the beer or the judging process.

Saruman wrote: »
    FFS, Foam & Fury is akin to Pliny the elder and not a saison. So, did someone stick the wrong label on a bottle? Or a mistake made during judging? There is no possible way any judge worth their salt could make that mistake without contamination of the beer or the judging process.

AdrianTierney-Jones is the European chair, he may know something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The experts have spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

That is quite crazy! 2 crazy things, how did they think it tastes like a saison and not an ipa and how can it medal then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

RasTa wrote: »

Bydrs6SIMAAnp7k.jpg

I like OFAF, I think it's over-priced when compared ml for ml with comparable beers from much further away, but it's a good IIPA.

Those must be the most ludicrous comments I've seen about a beer ever. And in tandem. Maybe they've redefined the saison but it's yet to hit Irish shores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

I was charged less than €6 for a pint of All Day IPA after not visiting any of their bars for a few months. Quite pleased with that. Didn't have time to order anything else.

• Advertisement

I had Galway Bay's actual saison last night in the Brew Dock - I very much enjoyed it. Very farmhouse; so saison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I had Galway Bay's actual saison last night in the Brew Dock - I very much enjoyed it. Very farmhouse; so saison.

Wow

Ravelleman wrote: »

So not a DIPA then? :p

Wow

You know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

They announced on twitter that they are going to open a new pub somewhere in D6. Exact location to be announced at the weekend

Tramco maybe? That would be awesome.

Tramco maybe? That would be awesome.

oh yes, forgot about that place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

They rolled back from their Limerick opening. Bit of a shame as a GBB is badly needed down here. Instead there's yet another pub for Dublin :(

That's a pity. We have enough of them in Dublin.
    The more GBB bars outside of Dublin & Galway, the more value is added to the Beoir vouchers.

There were plans for a small cask and whiskey bar in Dublin.

GBB dont have a monopoly on craft beer you know.

And we dont have enough craft beer bars in Dublin. Theres only about six or seven decent ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement