Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Bay Breweries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

drumswan wrote: »
    The full range is available online from Drinkstore, nationwide delivery from €6.

Untappd has OFAF as #1 now too.

https://untappd.com/beer/top_rated?country_id=52

Yeah it does, but it also has granny marys red ale ahead of buried at sea, dark arts, Guinness FES and Metalman to name but a few:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

irish_goat wrote: »
    Where are they visiting?

South of France.:cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Lucena wrote: »
    South of France.:cool:

I read your OP wrong, what part of Ireland are they in? :P

I read your OP wrong, what part of Ireland are they in? :P

Tullamore. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Tullamore. :(

O'Brien's in Athlone stock some of the range, Offie in Trim (wine house?) (only down the road really) stock most of the range too. Besides that, I rekcon it's Dubland for you. Drinkstore do next day deliveries if you order before noon or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Seaneh wrote: »
    O'Brien's in Athlone stock some of the range, Offie in Trim (wine house?) (only down the road really) stock most of the range too. Besides that, I rekcon it's Dubland for you. Drinkstore do next day deliveries if you order before noon or something like that.

The Wine House is around an hour from Tullamore I reckon.

I was in O'Briens in Naas last weekend and as far as I recall, they only had either Full Sail or Bay Ale.

As well as Drinkstore, McHughs do delivery and have the GBB brews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hope this question is in the right place.

Is there any (easy) way of finding out where GBB beers are available? I have some friends coming out to visit (I don’t live in Ireland) next week, and it’d be lovely if they could pick up a few bottles on the way over!

Heffernan's Carry Out off-license (across the road from the Tullamore Court Hotel) sell a few GBB beers also Egans off-license in Portlaiose have a great range in Irish craft beers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Heffernan's Carry Out off-license (across the road from the Tullamore Court Hotel) sell a few GBB beers also Egans off-license in Portlaiose have a great range in Irish craft beers

Good shout on Carry Out, forgot all about them.

I rang Hennessy's yesterday, they had the Full Sail in stock, but no OFAF. Unfortunately my friends didn't have time to pick any up.
    Does anyone know if any GBB is available in Dublin Airport? (Last resort!)

I rang Hennessy's yesterday, they had the Full Sail in stock, but no OFAF. Unfortunately my friends didn't have time to pick any up.
    Does anyone know if any GBB is available in Dublin Airport? (Last resort!)

Drinkstore.ie do next day delivery on orders placed before noon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

I tried their Chocolate Stout and Porter. Very nice indeed, especially the former. They are pricey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Stanlex wrote: »
    They are pricey though.

Careful now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I see The Cottage and Scholars Rest have stopped their two for one Mains offers they were doing, sad times.

Nice to see Bru Dubh on tap in the Salt House on Saturday.

Did the Dubh replace the Guinness or Porterhouse Plain tap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭jh79

Both I think

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Can't complain about GBB's prices anymore after being charged 8.25 for a bottle of Kinnegar Lime Burner in Wuff (http://www.wuff.ie). They didn't have it listed on the menu, so I didn't know what I was getting into when I spotted it on the shelf. No craic whatsoever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Didnt spot either of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Dubh replaced Guinness, and last I checked they had one of the Porterhouse's seasonal ones on instead of the plain, the chocolate truffle stout, but I may have drank them out of that last time I was there. Yummy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I was in the Salt House on Sunday and thought the selection of Irish draft had declined significantly since my last visit (they still had a great selection of beers on tap but not so many Irish as previously), only had time for the one and was a bit annoyed my Beoir 50c off wasn't accepted for the Of Foam and Fury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

only had time for the one and was a bit annoyed my Beoir 50c off wasn't accepted for the Of Foam and Fury.

Really, I thought they were supposed to be valid on all GBB beers. Did they say why not?

I'd be emailing Jason (adress available on the website) and asking him about that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

slayerking wrote: »
    Really, I thought they were supposed to be valid on all GBB beers. Did they say why not?

I dont see what the big deal about the 50cent is, its the same amount off each beer at the end of the day.

I have used it before on OFAF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It is supposed to be for all beers, including of foam and fury. The only time I was ever refused was for the American amber on cask because of the irritating "Irish cask premium" we seem to have here.

The one thing I would say is that I have heard that very few people in Galway seem to use the vouchers, even though loads have been sent.

The T&C do say that it's at the discretion of the staff, mainly to cover special promotions and perhaps new staff unaware of what to do.

Using for OFAF has always been fine in Dublin for me, though I think one or two people were refused. Many even used them for 200 fathoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Saruman wrote: »
    It is supposed to be for all beers, including of foam and fury. The only time I was ever refused was for the American amber on cask because of the irritating "Irish cask premium" we seem to have here.

The one thing I would say is that I have heard that very few people in Galway seem to use the vouchers, even though loads have been sent.

The T&C do say that it's at the discretion of the staff, mainly to cover special promotions and perhaps new staff unaware of what to do.

Using for OFAF has always been fine in Dublin for me, though I think one or two people were refused. Many even used them for 200 fathoms.

It seems to depend on who you get because I've definitely both used it fine for OFAF and been told it can't be used for OFAF.

The same for Two Hundred Fathoms, the first batch I was able the use the voucher the second I wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Just another reason why vouchers and buy-x-get-one free cards are not the same as lower prices. I have seen them equated to one another here on Boards number of times. You can factor in your discount or free pint as much as you like and say that the equivalent price is 40c cheaper per pint or whatever but then this happens. This applies equally to Porterhouse and formerly to B&C though so don't think I'm just picking on GBB. In conclusion, these incentives are rather illusory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ive never had a problem using the Beoir vouchers.

But i dont understand why they wont accept it on any of their beers, i can see why they dont want to give out a free pint on say their most expensive beer but 50cent off is exactly that, the same loss on whatever the full price the beer may be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

adamski8 wrote: »
    But i dont understand why they wont accept it on any of their beers
    GBB policy is that it's for all their beers, regardless of style, strength or dispense, as long as a full measure is bought. If a voucher is refused when these conditions are met it's because the staff member hasn't been trained properly.

The staff member in question told me that he had been specifically told not to accept them for Of Foam and Fury - in fact that he had got in trouble for accepting them previously. He readily agreed that there was nothing on the vouchers stating this but that he'd get in trouble if he did accept it.

Email Jason for clarification lads. He'd give you a difinitive answer and pass the message to managers of any of the Beoir committee asked for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Print and keep with your vouchers, folks:
    jasontweet_zps0f0cfa44.png

Any further problems, please bring them to Beoir rather than Boards.

The staff member in question told me that he had been specifically told not to accept them for Of Foam and Fury - in fact that he had got in trouble for accepting them previously. He readily agreed that there was nothing on the vouchers stating this but that he'd get in trouble if he did accept it.

I brought this to their attention.
    The owner has just sent a mail to all management that the vouchers are for any full measure of any GBB beer and are to inform staff of such. That includes OFAF.

I brought this to their attention.
    The owner has just sent a mail to all management that the vouchers are for any full measure of any GBB beer and are to inform staff of such. That includes OFAF.

Ofaf isn't sold in full measures is it?

Ofaf isn't sold in full measures is it?

Of course it is, the measure just isn't a pint.

Ah right! Cheers

But this might be why some barmen were confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Peanut butter stout on cask in Alfie's at the mo apparently. Curious to hear the reports on this one.

Dry hopped Windjammer and Brú Dubh both on cask in the Black Sheep.

Nice cask selection in GGB bars this weekend.

adamski8 wrote: »
    But this might be why some barmen were confused.

I was actually thinking that myself, the barmen, or indeed the managers, might have considered OFAF being served in a 2/3rd glass as not being a "full measure" and in fairness to them it's an easy mistake to make and I'm glad the bosses have passed the message on.

slayerking wrote: »
    Peanut butter stout on cask in Alfie's at the mo apparently. Curious to hear the reports on this one.

Dry hopped Windjammer and Brú Dubh both on cask in the Black Sheep.

Nice cask selection in GGB bars this weekend.

More interested in Windjammer on cask than the peanut butter stout to be honest.

Windjammer is one of the unsung heroes of Irish brews IMHO and I can't understand why metalman don't make it year round.

I'm not a lover of peanut flavoured anything so the stout doesn't really inspire me too much.

More interested in Windjammer on cask than the peanut butter stout to be honest.

Windjammer is one of the unsung heroes of Irish brews IMHO and I can't understand why metalman don't make it year round.

I'm not a lover of peanut flavoured anything so the stout doesn't really inspire me too much.

That's simple, capacity issues. The pale ale is their staple, just like Galway Hooker.
    Hooker are opening a much larger brewery so will have a more diverse range. When metalman eventually do the same, then we might see the likes of windjammer as more than just seasonals.

• Advertisement

Had the peanut butter stout on cask last night, very very subtle flavour of peanut, really just a hint. But the stout "underneath" is delicious so would definitely have again. They were also serving it on keg but only had time for 1 so didn't do a comparison. And my Beoir voucher worked fine, no hassles.

Had the peanut butter stout on cask last night, very very subtle flavour of peanut, really just a hint. But the stout "underneath" is delicious so would definitely have again. They were also serving it on keg but only had time for 1 so didn't do a comparison. And my Beoir voucher worked fine, no hassles.

Next time, ask for a sample of the other dispense method for comparison. ;)

That's simple, capacity issues. The pale ale is their staple, just like Galway Hooker.
    Hooker are opening a much larger brewery so will have a more diverse range. When metalman eventually do the same, then we might see the likes of windjammer as more than just seasonals.

They also have trouble sourcing good Nelson Sauvin too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Oh yea :(

I'll have to sell them some, I have loads... well for a homebrew scale. Probably 450g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I'll have to sell them some, I have loads... well for a homebrew scale. Probably 450g.

Hello old buddy :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Is the Peanut Butter Stout on in The Brew Dock yet, does anyone know?

oblivious wrote: »
    Hello old buddy :p

If you need some, pop around.

If you need some, pop around.

I could relieve you of some as well. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

dregin wrote: »
    Is the Peanut Butter Stout on in The Brew Dock yet, does anyone know?

It wasn't yesterday, but they said it will be in today.

Advertisement