Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptismal Donation

Options
  • 02-04-2014 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

We are getting our son baptised in our local church and on the booking form it says that you can make a discretionary contribution.
    Has anyone else seen or heard of this? If yes, how much did you give?
    There are other children being baptised at the same time so its not like we have exclusive use of the priest/church.

When we got married, we paid €200 to the priest/church but that was in my home parish not this one.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

We were asked too - even in our own parish - and we gave €30.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

50 euro is plenty or what ever you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

We put 50 in an envelope. But about 2 days later i found the envelope with all tge christening cards. OH thought it was just another card. We meant to drop it then but forgot so ended up not giving anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

We put €20 in an envelope. He was baptising 4 babies that day - raking it in!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

lmullen wrote: »
    We put €20 in an envelope. He was baptising 4 babies that day - raking it in!!!!!

I don't think the priest goes down the pub with it. :)

We weren't sure so gave 50. The baptism 'team' popped out to the house for 1/2 hour to go through the ceremony with us in advance, and then the priest did an hours ceremony. 50 seemed like a reasonable service charge for 1 1/2 hours work including premises. The lady who waxes my legs charges a lot more per hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

We got given a 'donation' envelope with 'suggested E50' written on it. So we gave E50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

lmullen wrote: »

There are 6 others being baptised the same day as our little man and there's also a wedding on later that afternoon - nice few quid for the priest :)
    pwurple wrote: »
    I don't think the priest goes down the pub with it. :)

We weren't sure so gave 50. The baptism 'team' popped out to the house for 1/2 hour to go through the ceremony with us in advance, and then the priest did an hours ceremony. 50 seemed like a reasonable service charge for 1 1/2 hours work including premises. The lady who waxes my legs charges a lot more per hour!

We had to go to a baptismal preparation meeting in the church. A member of the parish team checked that everything was as it should be on the booking form and took a copy of baby's birth cert and that was it.

@pwurple in my sleep deprived brain I had visions of the priest waxing my legs :eek:

Thanks for all the responses:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Asking the priest would be the best option.
    For our lads day out it will just be us in the church (older demographic area) so I will be going with whatever the priests suggests considering it is his time, his venue etc.

Advertisement