Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about failing first year.

Options
  • 03-04-2014 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask a few questions about failing firstyear. I failed 2 modules in the first semester and I feel I am doing worse in semester 2. I just wanted to know if anyone here failed first year and what they did or what options there were.

I assume if I don't get 60 credits I wont go on to second year? So the only options is to resit the modules or repeat firstyear right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not sure what the cut off is, but generally speaking you continue to second year but have to resit the exams / modules in the next semester. You won't get your credits though (Until you pass). I have a feeling this is course dependant so the best option is to talk to your program office. Most of the time they will go out of their way to keeping you moving through the years, at least thats my experience of friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

You need to have passed 50/60 credits to progress into Stage 2. You can enter Semester X where you'll still study second year modules if they're kind enough to allow you, but you'll have to carry whatever amount of repeats / resits you have which just isn't that feasible. I don't know your personal situation so if you have extenuating circumstances make them aware of them. If it's a case of laziness you still have 4 full weeks of study before the exams begin which is plenty of time to learn enough to pass 6 level 1 modules. You'll also need to work out the financial implications of this. If you're on the grant, they wont offer any money towards your repeat fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Semester X doesn't exist anymore, if the OP wants to continue their course they will have to do either repeat modules or resit exams to make the credits up. Luckily for OP first year grades rarely count towards a degree GPA, at least mine didn't.

I was in a nearly identical situation to the OP, I was shoehorned into Computer Science w/Arts out of school and really didn't like it. I failed 2 subjects in semester 1 and gave up on semester 2, I reapplied through CAO to start again with just Arts. So my advice would be:

a) Don't panic, if you want to do a different course because you don't like your current one, then talk to a student advisor and reapply via CAO (I think the deadline is May).
    b) Don't panic, if you DO want to do the course you are in, maybe you just got caught up in 1st year activities and nights out, then try your very best to pass the upcoming exams and get assignments in, if you fail a few, go and talk to a student advisor and sort out how you can make up the credits next year.

The common denominator there is don't panic.

Advertisement