Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestion on how to move out from an apartment?

Options
  • 03-04-2014 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

this is a dumb question I think but I moved in Ireland 2 years ago and I'm not 100% familiar with rent laws here.

So I've been living in this house for 2 years now and my lease is going to expire next month. My landlord wants to renew the rent for 1 year and I said yes and I'm currently waiting for the new contract to sign.

However today I got news that I could have to move out in August due to work reason, since I might have to change city. I think there are 2 solutions now:

1) Tell the landlord I might have to move and ask him to make a contract for 6 months. My fear is that if he disagrees, then he might just avoid sending me a new contract and I'll be without house for 5-6 months (and good luck finding a lease for 6 months in the meantime)

2) Sign the new contract and then, IF I have to move, just send a letter to him, like 30 days before, telling him I'll move out. However my fear is that since the new lease is for 1 year, I'll be forced to pay the remaining 6 months by law (is this even possible?)

Of course option number 2 is better for me but is it feasible legally? Is there any way in Ireland to move out before the term expires without being forced to pay the rest of the lease?

I hope my question is clear. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You are considered what is called part 4 tenancy, you do not have to sign a lease and can just give the necessary notice (56 days for you I think) for moving out. This seems to suit you best in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrZero00

Ah really? But I have a fixed term lease. I thought the part 4 was just for non-fixed term lease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

You'll be part 4 after the lease expires next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Don't sign a new lease and tell him you'll be staying on under part 4, then give the appropriate notice when you need to leave.

Advertisement