Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Sky Sports ever cover the LOI and do you want it?

• 03-04-2014 2:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭

Simple question. Do you think they will ever do it and would you want it. Poll above.

Do you want Sky to cover the LOI? 71 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    super_furryuchgimmickShaque attackevad_lhorgbohsboymikeym[Deleted User]NIMANMRPRO03Pro. Fasdfgh86Carroller16BlazeradaminhosugarmanAmiraniGreen GiantGadgeDrumSteve 71 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Simple question. Do you think they will ever do it and would you want it. Poll above.

Why would Sky show any games when RTE can't be arsed showing one live game a week?

Also, I think LOI doesn't appeal to anyone that doesn't live near a club. I live in Kerry so it would be too much travelling to watch a poor standard of football and I couldn't name one player playing in the LOI, even though I think there is one lad from Tralee playing for a team.

If RTE showed a bit more interest then it might make people notice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

dobman88 wrote: »
    Why would Sky show any games when RTE can't be arsed showing one live game a week?

Also, I think LOI doesn't appeal to anyone that doesn't live near a club. I live in Kerry so it would be too much travelling to watch a poor standard of football and I couldn't name one player playing in the LOI, even though I think there is one lad from Tralee playing for a team.

well it's not rugby so RTE showing a massive interest isn't going to happen at least not while Mr. Nugent is in charge. But sky have lost a lot of things to BT and will likely lose more over the coming years. That opens up a gap in the market and with the LOI being played over the summer months it could be ideal even if it's just sky sports 3 or 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Didn't they broadcast the Nordie league a few seasons back and it rather failed to attract many viewers? I can't see them dipping their toe into the LOI for that reason. Besides I'd imagine their recent acquisition of the GAA rights might have them covered for the summer lull for the moment.

P_1 wrote: »
    Didn't they broadcast the Nordie league a few seasons back and it rather failed to attract many viewers? I can't see them dipping their toe into the LOI for that reason. Besides I'd imagine their recent acquisition of the GAA rights might have them covered for the summer lull for the moment.

Yeah maybe for Irish emigrants over there but wouldn't the general English man prefer to watch the best LOI match every weekend instead of a sport they've never heard about? I mean they show fishing in the summer for christ sake!

Yeah maybe for Irish emigrants over there but wouldn't the general English man prefer to watch the best LOI match every weekend instead of a sport they've never heard about? I mean they show fishing in the summer for christ sake!

Possibly but to be honest there are better summer leagues for them to pick first, (eg Sweden, Finland) that I'd wager the general English man might prefer to watch (not too sure about the Welsh and Scots mind)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Two questions there that could be opposite answers.

dfx- wrote: »
    Two questions there that could be opposite answers.

i know yeah but i don't know how to add 2 polls so picked one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Doubtful, unless BT bleed them dry of other content.

Only if they employ Ray Hudson to do the commentary. Ray Hudson and Martin Tyler, that's a combination I'd love to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Possibly but to be honest there are better summer leagues for them to pick first, (eg Sweden, Finland) that I'd wager the general English man might prefer to watch (not too sure about the Welsh and Scots mind)

Finnish league is better than the LoI?

How have you come to that conclusion? Been to a good sample sized amount of games in both, I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This thread is gonna be a train wreck. Personally I don't mind either way. I don't really watch LOI football that doesn't involve Shels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

how can you even compare it to MLS? MLS would be on at weird times.

They've picked up GAH to try to keep the Irish market from drip dripping to BT, but they aren't idiots - not enough Irish people have an interest in the LoI for this to be a hook for Sky to keep the Irish market.

Anyway, didn't they do it before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This thread is almost destined to turn into the 'Leagues You Would Prefer To Watch Ahead Of LOI Thread'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

No
    Yes. They could market it as the second best league in the world and most would believe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'd like them too as they're great at dressing up and hyping games for people that don't know much about football. Just don't see it being commercially viable fro them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No reason why the FAI couldn't write it into the next contract with Sky regarding internationals, that's what the IFA did.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

SantryRed wrote: »
    No reason why the FAI couldn't write it into the next contract with Sky regarding internationals, that's what the IFA did.

I'd be surprised if there was another contract with Sky. When they signed the original deal with the FAI Sky thought they had exclusivity to all Ireland competitive games only for legislation to be brought in to stop this.

Unless Sky are getting impressive viewing figures for the Ireland games I doubt they'll resign or if they do with will be for a fraction of the price of the original contract.

After what I've said above I don't think there a hope that Sky will ever show a LOI game. I hope I'm wrong as I am actually a Bohs fan and would love coverage of our league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No
    I think it would transform it and attract people into the grounds

RTE coverage especially when Stephen Alkin is commentating puts people off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

No

I really, really don't get all the fuss over the GAA. Even the most desperate sport addict in the mainland UK won't watch it. It has no draw for them.

Fishing and carp fishing in particular is incredibly popular in the UK. Sky sports have a fishing program on every week. It is very popular.

When Sky bought the rights to the senior international games initially years ago, did they not include some LoI games in it too? I could only see it being a good thing for the game here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

How have you come to that conclusion? Been to a good sample sized amount of games in both, I assume?

I'm guessing he meant to say one of the more obvious ones like Norway or Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

No
    Do Sky still show the matches up North?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

No
    iDave wrote: »
    Do Sky still show the matches up North?

Yeah, usually on a Monday night when there is MNF on I think. I'd love to see Sky show the LOI. It is a better league than the Irish League in the north, results in the Setanta Cup show that. It would be great for the club's as long as the money made it to clubs equally and not just line the FAIs pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Sky's football portfolio is full enough I would imagine so NO.

Fair enough perhaps Finland was a bad example but the Scandanavian leagues would probably be more attractive to Sky than the LOI during the summer. Leaving aside the quality argument for a moment they already have a coverage set up in place there so really all Sky would have to do would be to send over a commentary/interview team to cover them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yeah, usually on a Monday night when there is MNF on I think. I'd love to see Sky show the LOI. It is a better league than the Irish League in the north, results in the Setanta Cup show that. It would be great for the club's as long as the money made it to clubs equally and not just line the FAIs pocket.

That's stretching a bit, the very best (and it would be brilliant) that the LOI could hope for would be Sky to do it for free, in other words to absorb the broadcast costs themselves. But actually paying a fee, not a snowballs.

As far as I know (maybe someone can confirm) on the original deal with the FAI in 2002 they also got rights to show the FAI Cup semi finals and final simultaneously with RTE but have never taken up this option.

No

I watched the league cup final a few months back on Sky involving Cliftonville.
    The PL TV deal equally divides the monies to all teams as far as I know.
    Would make sense from an LOI perspective to distribute it similarly.

I remember I watched a bit of coverage a couple of years ago of a match involving Dungannon Swifts. the presenter creamed himself at the idea it was Swifts first ever time of Sky Sports. Sky will always find away to try and make anything worth watching.

I given a thumbs up to the GAA deal, Pro12 is going the same way so I'll say it may be worth the LOIs while giving Sky a go too.

Rovers V Bohs from Tallaght....AND ITS LIVE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

No
    I mean they show fishing in the summer for christ sake!

Fishing is the Biggest participation sport in the UK, so there's a very big market for it.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Attendances at LOI games are bad enough, imagine what they would be like if you could watch them from your armchair.

No
    rob316 wrote: »
    Attendances at LOI games are bad enough, imagine what they would be like if you could watch them from your armchair.

You can already do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

What kind of viewing figures does the LOI pull in on RTE nowadays? I remember it used to be pretty low but that's probably going back 3 or 4 years. That'll be the crucial factor in Sky having any interest. It probably wouldn't pull in more viewers than their normal programming so would be relegated to middle of the night or very early in the day. Can't imagine anyone would be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Sky's football portfolio is full enough I would imagine so NO.

As far as I know they have most EPL, Championship, SPL and La Liga.

BT/Setanta have EPL (about half what Sky have), Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue1, MLS, Brazil league and they have SPL too and quite possibly more that I'm forgetting.

If Sky lose any of their top EPL packages to BT than BT/Setanta will become a far more attractive subscription if one is of the mind of having to choose between them (and far far cheaper).
    Fair enough perhaps Finland was a bad example but the Scandanavian leagues would probably be more attractive to Sky than the LOI during the summer. Leaving aside the quality argument for a moment they already have a coverage set up in place there so really all Sky would have to do would be to send over a commentary/interview team to cover them.

But like the GAA, they would probably first target Irish sport because they are targeting Irish subscribers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

rob316 wrote: »
    Attendances at LOI games are bad enough, imagine what they would be like if you could watch them from your barstool.

Fixed that for you :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Only glanced over the thread, but there was plans in the 90s for Sky to come on board but the FAI fecked up it if I remember correctly. A few clubs benefited from it, Shels got their floodlights (I think) and Dalymound had some work done too.

Only glanced over the thread, but there was plans in the 90s for Sky to come on board but the FAI fecked up it if I remember correctly. A few clubs benefited from it, Shels got their floodlights (I think) and Dalymound had some work done too.

Wasn't the deal in the 90s that Sky pays for floodlights for LOI teams so games can be moved to a later time so not to clash with English games on TV?

I don't believe Sky were ever interested in becoming a broadcast partner for the league.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Wasn't the deal in the 90s that Sky pays for floodlights for LOI teams so games can be moved to a later time so not to clash with English games on TV?

I don't believe Sky were ever interested in becoming a broadcast partner for the league.

Thought that was the idea but so they could show matches on a Friday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

No
    Sky only show the Danske Bank Premier League as a gap filler when theres nothing else on a Monday night.

But then again the Airtricity League is played during the summer months and theres not much decent football on Sky during the Summer.

Rte and Setanta should be hyping up their coverage of the Airtricity games.

• Advertisement

COYW wrote: »
    I really, really don't get all the fuss over the GAA. Even the most desperate sport addict in the mainland UK won't watch it. It has no draw for them.

Fishing and carp fishing in particular is incredibly popular in the UK. Sky sports have a fishing program on every week. It is very popular.

When Sky bought the rights to the senior international games initially years ago, did they not include some LoI games in it too? I could only see it being a good thing for the game here.

There are a lot of british with irish relations who through them have made them aware of the gaa and would generally think it's decent. i think a lot of those sports mad people will watch the gaa on sky sports 2 or 3 this summer when there's not many fields sports if any on. I also think those same people would be interested in watching the loi if it was on.

The "ultra" displays some loi fans come up with would appeal to many an english football fan.

uch wrote: »
    Fishing is the Biggest participation sport in the UK, so there's a very big market for it.

would hate to be a fish swimming around britain!

The "ultra" displays some loi fans come up with would appeal to many an english football fan.

What?

England is one of the places in Europe where there isn't really an Ultras scene.

People are correct when they say televised games here do reduce the attendances because they of the kick-off time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The only reason Sky would take LOI games would be to keep existing, or possibly increase Irish sub during the EPL off season.
    The deal with the GAA is an attempt by SKY to do this right now so we will see how that pans out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

No
    Is is true that the GAA are getting €10 million a season from Sky?.Where will this money be going?

They also got 600k from the government recently.While also holding a GAA lotto in every town and village in the country.

Maybe John Delaney could ask the GAA for a small loan to up the prize money for the LOI winners from the current figure,(is it 50k or something).:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

dobman88 wrote: »

Yeah, thats Billy Dennehy, he was at Shamrock Rovers for a few seasons and he's at Cork this year.

Am I gone daft or have I not seen Irish League games on Sky on occasion? If they can show Crusaders or Ballinamallard play then they can sure as feck show Derry City or Sligo Rovers...

Yeah, thats Billy Dennehy, he was at Shamrock Rovers for a few seasons and he's at Cork this year...

Billy Dennehy scored in the Europa League groups stages but you kniow, how can that compare against supporting esoteric teams from the Finnish second tier with one's student mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

I'd love them to. For the money and for the coverage.

Sky marketed the EPL as the best league in the world when it was lacking behind, but people still believed and it eventually came to /near/ truth.

Id imagine if they marketed the LoI in their typical manner, it would better the league to no end. You'd have people interested simply because sky are interested. You'd see more money coming from sponsorship and games/coverage is on Sky and hence they'd reach a bigger audience. This in turn with the increased revenue from more at the games, more sponsorship and more TV money would allow the league to get better...hence more marketable and rinse and repeat.

Or at least that's a nice fantasy in my head, I'd imagine true to a certain degree though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

No
    Is is true that the GAA are getting €10 million a season from Sky?.Where will this money be going?

They also got 600k from the government recently.While also holding a GAA lotto in every town and village in the country.

Maybe John Delaney could ask the GAA for a small loan to up the prize money for the LOI winners from the current figure,(is it 50k or something).:rolleyes:

Their accounts are available to the public online:

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0302141105-gaa-annual-accounts-2013-published/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

I cant see Sky paying much if they did even as a schedule filler in the summer slump. There just isnt the demand for it no great support base of the clubs or television viewership for games that do get shown on RTE.. with now having secured the GAA matches with the support base and viewership figures that matches can attract why would they bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

i know yeah but i don't know how to add 2 polls so picked one!
    A multiple choice poll could've been used with the poll question "LOI and Sky TV" and poll options
    Yes, Sky would broadcast LOI
    No, Sky wouldn't broadcast LOI
    Yes, I would watch LOI on Sky
    No, I wouldn't watch LOI on Sky
    Yes, LOI should be on Sky
    No, LOI shouldn't be on Sky

My answer to the 2 (3) questions is No.
    There is no advantage to Sky
    There is no advantage to the league
    There is no advantage to the sponsors of teams and league

I don't have Sky

No they make 10 million a year from the entire TV package. I'd imagine it's gone up to about 12 million a year now for the next 3 years. It will go up by then as sky will likely pay more and RTE will be forced to pay a fairer rate than they currently do.

As for the prixe money if Delaney really cared he'd cut 50k off his wage and throw it towards prixe money. If his other buddies took another 10% hit they could make quite the pot. Never going to happen tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Ever been to a game involving a club from one of these nations? Cause I have.

Funnily enough my club won and knocked them out of Europe.

Anyway I doubt if Sky would want to cover the LOI and I hope they dont - its a really awful brain dead channel.

The FAI should really push to get some LOI games shown on the new Sky Sports channel I read about earlier. Seems a bit bare with Eredivisie, Euro 2016 qualifiers, CL and La Liga.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11061/9342982/sky-sports-launches-sky-sports-5-a-new-channel-dedicated-to-european-football

I could see it happening next summer, unless they plan on taking the channel off air next May and bringing it back in August. They'd have absolutely nothing on there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement