Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Sky Sports ever cover the LOI and do you want it?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

No
    Oat23 wrote: »
    The FAI should really push to get some LOI games shown on the new Sky Sports channel I read about earlier. Seems a bit bare with Eredivisie, Euro 2016 qualifiers, CL and La Liga.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11061/9342982/sky-sports-launches-sky-sports-5-a-new-channel-dedicated-to-european-football

I could see it happening next summer, unless they plan on taking the channel off air next May and bringing it back in August. They'd have absolutely nothing on there.

Not sure what to make of SS5. All they are adding is Dutch football but will lose the CL in a year. Perhaps we will see them bid for other leagues like Portugal and maybe take some of BTs rights from them such as Serie A.
    Cant see it being exclusively football. May see French T14 rugby in there eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ever been to a game involving a club from one of these nations? Cause I have.

Funnily enough my club won and knocked them out of Europe.

Silly argument basing it on one game and not on a league....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

From what i heard on another forum SS5 will be just a rename of the red button for Champions League games and all the European Championship qualification games apart from England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Sky ruined English football so hopefully the LOI is never subjected to Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The unified Ireland/Swedish league doesn't start til 2016 though so bit hard to base it on a full season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

In the past ten years, this is the record that Irish teams have against the Swedes in UEFA competitions:

Played 14; Won 5; Drew 6; Lost 3; Goals For 13; Goals Against 13; Ties Won 4; Ties Lost 3.

Irish teams certainly seem a match for the Swedes - the top of the LoI v the top of the Allsvenskan, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    In the past ten years, this is the record that Irish teams have against the Swedes in UEFA competitions:

Played 14; Won 5; Drew 6; Lost 3; Goals For 13; Goals Against 13; Ties Won 4; Ties Lost 3.

Irish teams certainly seem a match for the Swedes - the top of the LoI v the top of the Allsvenskan, anyway.

He said Swedish league as an example. I wasn't arguing with the point that the LOI isn't better. Just that it was silly to base it on that 1 game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

No
    I would love to see it happen, I was at the Bohs/Limerick game on Saturday where there was a crowd of 880 people thats 880 people in a cracking ground like Thomand park on a Saturday with no other competition clashing :eek:
    Irish football is dead over here unless something drastic happens, We all saw the tweets when Hurling was shown for the first time on Sky, this is a sport the English/UK know nothing about yet people viewed it, why? cos the UK have a deeper love for sport and will watch any aul ****e (Hurling is a great sport btw).

The Bohs Rovers Derby has a cult following overseas as does Irish Football in general, the summer months when no football is on I think Sky could market the league to a point where we would get decent viewing figures which will see extra revenue going to the clubs which can only benefit the league.....Irish people ain't going to the games as it is apart from the die hards so lets atleast attract the English armchair brigade.

I would imagine the FAI have already tried it and failed:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He said Swedish league as an example. I wasn't arguing with the point that the LOI isn't better. Just that it was silly to base it on that 1 game.

The Swedish league is miles better in reality. I was only taking the piss.

Nice record we have against them at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No
    Bateman wrote: »
    Sky ruined English football so hopefully the LOI is never subjected to Sky

You're going to have to explain this one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Roaster wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if there was another contract with Sky. When they signed the original deal with the FAI Sky thought they had exclusivity to all Ireland competitive games only for legislation to be brought in to stop this.

Unless Sky are getting impressive viewing figures for the Ireland games I doubt they'll resign or if they do with will be for a fraction of the price of the original contract.

Well presumably they have re signed that friendly deal several times (I'm sure they still get a reasonable viewership for them), wasn't it 13 or so years ago now? How often is it resigned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Hopefully they wont cover it. As a Cork City fan I dont have Sky Sports. Dont have any intention of paying to watch football on the TV. (besides the licence fee).

There hyping up of every sport they cover is down right annoying. TV3 of Satellite broadcasting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Hopefully they wont cover it. As a Cork City fan I dont have Sky Sports. Dont have any intention of paying to watch football on the TV. (besides the licence fee).

There hyping up of every sport they cover is down right annoying. TV3 of Satellite broadcasting

Personally I think they do a great job covering a wide range of sports.

Advertisement