Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad apps for a tour guide

Options
  • 03-04-2014 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Good Evening All,

I'm a tour guide that would like to incorporate some historical images and video in my tours of San Francisco.

Currently my visitors are outfitted with a earphones and receiver, so they can hear me. I'm wearing a headset, with mic and carrying a transmitter to narrate as we walk around the city.

My BIG idea:
    I would like to replace the receivers with iPad and headset, so they will be able to hear me talking through the iPad. They will be able to hold up the iPad and it will recognize a building/location and then show them historical footage (sort of like scanning a QR code).

Any recommendations for:
    an image recognition app?
    an app that lets me transmit to them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

What are you asking? Where can you find such an app, or how could you get such an app built?

If the former, I recommend to use Google and not ask people to search for you.

If the latter, you'll need to explain if you will be developing and want technical advice, or looking out outsource development and want advice on that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd be careful what you wish for RaeLynn.

Stick iBeacons aka BLE Beacons to all significant points of interest, direct tourists to download an App. All of a sudden people will start questioning what's the purpose of the tour guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Indeed be careful what you wish for.

Just from a practical aspect, can you afford Ipads for all your clients, will the possible insurance cost not take a big bite of your profit or do you think all your clients do indeed bring their own IPads? Personally if I was on a walking tour the last thing I want is to carry an IPad around for 2 hours or more.

I am a fellow tourist Guide and can already see the negative impact modern technology has, just look how many free apps you can download in dublin, sure why pay for a guide if you can get a free app or as it is the case even free walking tours, sorry slightly off topic but probably something you have to consider too.

Advertisement