Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millfield Shopping Centre and Balbriggan - from the Irish Times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

No surprising to be honest. Rent is €54,000 p.a. and 10 empty units!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

It was a very premature development and was heavily reliant on the residential development of North West Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

No, I think the rents are ridiculously over-priced. And there are a lot more than 10 empty units by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I was speaking with someone at the weekend who had been interested in opening a stall just inside of the front door selling some products. He was quoted a rent of €24,000 which is quite simply ludicrous. I can't fathom how they plan on attracting any level of business to a shopping centre which is essentially dead.

Once the current leases expire for the clothes shops upstairs they'll be gone too. I wonder how long they have left to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I was speaking with someone at the weekend who had been interested in opening a stall just inside of the front door selling some products. He was quoted a rent of €24,000 which is quite simply ludicrous. I can't fathom how they plan on attracting any level of business to a shopping centre which is essentially dead.

Once the current leases expire for the clothes shops upstairs they'll be gone too. I wonder how long they have left to go.

I'd hate it to go.sunday morning shopping /coffee with the kids just wouldn't be the same.they should half the rent at the very least .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Boots did a unique deal with Millfield before signing a lease, instead of paying an agreed annual rent, they agreed to pay a certain % of profit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

cathy01 wrote: »
    I'd hate it to go.sunday morning shopping /coffee with the kids just wouldn't be the same.they should half the rent at the very least .

Don't get me wrong Cathy- I'd hate to see anyone vacate the centre but the fact is that the clothing shops don't appear to be doing any worthwhile business and I can only surmise that they won't continue their leases if they are up any time soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Don't get me wrong Cathy- I'd hate to see it anyone vacate the centre but the fact is that the clothing shops don't appear to be doing any worthwhile business and I can only surmise that they won't continue their leases if they are up any time soon.

I'd agree, for me I regularly visit the Tesco about once a month, check out boots, and the butchers and pet shop (as I've pets)

I don't pay the rest of the shops the slightest bit of attention

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I did enquire about some vacant units a number of years ago but the quoted rents were so far off that it killed off any slight interest straight away.
    Hopefully a new owner not burdened with excessive debt can set realistic rents and attract more tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

The National Asset Management Agency has confirmed the scale and identity of its first shopping centre portfolio to be offered for sale on the international market.

Joint agents Bannon and JLL have been appointed to handle the single lot sale of shopping centres at Blackpool in Cork, Balbriggan, Co Dublin and Clonmel, Co Tipperary, at a guide price of more than €130 million.

Millfield shopping centre in Balbriggan, developed three years ago by Calculation Developments at a cost of some €50 million is now likely to be valued at just over €40 million. Most of the funding came from the former Anglo Irish Bank but Nama is also understood to have provided financial assistance to allow it to open for business.

Full article here:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/commercial-property/130m-for-nama-shopping-centre-portfolio-1.1777808

• Advertisement
Advertisement