Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Duathlon Champs this weekend

Options
  • 03-04-2014 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there was a previous thread. I've entered just to have a good intense training session - anyone else in?

Edit - Extremely impressive and comprehensive race briefing documents!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I'm having a go at this one too. Hope the Sprint in the middle on the same course goes ok.

Tough run course (but mainly off road).

Cycle is on closed roads but could be busy with 4 laps and the sprint thrown in. The say that they've got rid of the U-turn which was my biggest problem with the course as the road was so narrow.

Looking forward to it now. Keeping the first 10k under control so that you don't suffer later will be the biggest challenge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Epic distance.

All about run strength and pacing that first 10km in my opinion.

I entered ages ago, but not racing as not in good enough shape and need the training time around it as a priority.

Recovery from this one is about 2 weeks imo!

Im not certain of entry field but can't see anyone challenging Cathal O'D for the win.

An estimate at podium would be filled with Colm Turner and Paul Carroll.

Womens race wide open I gather, but defending champ the fav.

May bike out to watch some of it - must check start times.

Good luck to all racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I would say the defending female champ is as untouchable as the male champ, given the 2 dominating performaces she has had.

is there a start list online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Agree - Catha O'Donavan untouchabale Id say,only beatable with a McCrytsal-esque bike split and a very solid run. His run is top drawer senior club level and not many can complete with it. A different level IMO. Cant see anybody touching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Doing it too, did race 2. A tough run course but bike is fine.
    Agreed, pacing the 10km run is key here, if not it'll result in bike death :-s
    Proper recovery thereafter if racing it. So I think i'll treat it as 'training' ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

Best of luck Guys and gals, a lot of work has been put into this so we hope you enjoy it :)
    as above posts have said, keep the 1st run under control :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

Fingal tri club should be very proud. Really well organised and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Awesome racing on sat first male and female proper elite level duathletes a pleasure to watch.
    2nd male finisher can swim its good to see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

oh but the hills on the run........

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

no splits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Great to race Saturday aside so many quality contenders in male and female fields!!. Course was testing though!!!. Courses well stewarded with good directions, particularly the cycle course - good idea to sacrifice a few k to get rid of the tight U-turns. Narrow run start though.

I hope the timing company sorts out the problems with splits. I thought some of their mats were badly positioned (particularly the lap counting ones on the cycle). I wonder if this is where the problem lies. Normally "technical problems" would be sorted out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Yes I really liked it too; paced the first 10k, hard to hold back but and the rest was fine, although gels fell of my bike which was a psychological killer!!

Really started to see and pass people on the bike/second run who I saw shoot off at full sprint in the first 10k. I thought the marshals made it pretty clear how gruelling the course was!

Being in the 30-34 category is a pain though with so many top contenders! Was happy to place 5th in cat and treat it as good training for the season ahead. Although yeah it would be nice to see the splits but agreed - there were times I felt I was skimming past some timing mats rather than going directly over them. Anyway....:pac:

Advertisement