Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling BOI Mastercard

Options
  • 03-04-2014 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi as the title suggests cou you tell me how I go about cancelling ym credit card pleae?
    Is there a phone number I need to call?

Also - if I cancel it now will I still have to pay next years Govt Duty fee of €30?
    I see €30 came out yesterday.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I don't think you'll be getting that back. But you can get a letter from the bank saying that it's paid for the year. That way, if you get another card, you won't have to pay it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gmail

Hey thanks for the reply - I know I wont get it back but I just wanted to be sure they wont slap another €30 on it if I do go ahead & close it next week/month :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Gmail,

Thanks for contacting us here on boards.ie .

If you wish to close your Credit Card account you can call 0818 251 251 where a representative will take this instruction from you.

Unfortunately, if you close your account now you will be liable for an additional Government Stamp Duty of E30, as this is charged in arrears on all accounts. We collect this charge on behalf of the Revenue and is outside of our control.

For more information on this Government Tax please see here.

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gmail

Cheers Elaine,

This was what I suspected, thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 laura30

Hi
    I'm living in Australia and my sister has informed me that my cc statement arrived with gov stamp duty as the only item. I would like to cancel my cc, can I do this via email? Also, do I still have to pay the duty as I have not used my card this year and have been out of country over two years'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Laura30[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]You can call Bank of Ireland Card Services on 00353 5677 57747 to cancel your Credit Card. Alternatively, if you are registered for Bank of Ireland 365 Online you can request this cancellation within the Online Service Desk when logged into your account. Please select ‘Ask A Question’ option from the drop down menu within this facility.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]As the Government Stamp Duty is charged in arrears, there will be another €30 charge due for this year upon closure of the card. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The Government Stamp Duty is a Government tax which is collected by Bank of Ireland on behalf of the Revenue Commissioners and is applied annually to all Credit Cards on 1st April. This tax is charged in arrears on all Credit Cards and is applicable to all accounts with a Republic of Ireland address and is non-refundable by Bank of Ireland.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]You can find more information on this here[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you have any further questions, please let us know. We're happy to help.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

Advertisement