Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising in pounds. Illegal?

Options
  • 03-04-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So I got stung today. I ordered a set of kettlebells from elverys. Only when I'd seen the "shipping" status did I notice that they were in pounds, not kilos.

At first I thought - Who the hell measures in pounds???? Then I checked their site. It's the only set in pounds. All other kettlebells are in kilos.

Then I thought I remembered it's illegal to sell in imperial units in the EU. Is that correct?

I found this article on the BBC website which seems to confirm that.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not sure about legality, but when was the last time you asked a bar man for 473ml of beer or heard it advertised as a nice cool 437ml of Guinness?

Kerrygold still have ounces mentioned on the packaging (as well as grams) so seems they still can based on this,

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If you buy a pint bottle in the supermarket it's advertised in ml, not as a pint. If I buy anything, anywhere by weight it is in KG, not pounds.

(in response to the ninja edit: I think it's OK to mention imperial once you give metric)

The long and short of it is that if you're buying a set of weights, you expect KG, not pounds. There's a big 15 on the front. Not for a second did I think that meant 15 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not sure about legality, but when was the last time you asked a bar man for 473ml of beer or heard it advertised as a nice cool 437ml of Guinness?

Sometime they in the US, I'd imagine :pac:

(wrong pint)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Tow

Incorrect. The 'authorities' in the UK said is was illegal to sell items (fruit/veg etc) by any other unit than Grams and Kilograms, i.e. shops could not use 'Pounds and Ounces'. A fortune was spent by shops upgrading their equipment.
    But when they actually tried to bring some shopkeepers to court, is was quickly discovered that the 'law' did not exist!

Actually here is more detail in a long winded case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_Martyrs

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Have you a (recent) link to that? I'm pretty sure you must label metric (but can also label imperial). Any searching I've done confirms this.

• Advertisement

Turns out the "dispatched" email didn't mean it was actually dispatched. The order has been cancelled. I'm still interested in this as I felt it was incredibly misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't think there is anything in Irish law concerning this.

All the kettle bells on Elvery's site are clearly shown as either Kg or Lb. It's not as though they are advertising one as the other or misleading in their product descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Cabaal wrote: »

Isn't a pint 568mll?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

snaps wrote: »
    Isn't a pint 568mll?

in metric its 473 in imperial (us)

Stheno wrote: »

US uses US Customary Units not Imperial units.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Stheno wrote: »

You can't have imperial (us). It's either Imperial or US.

One imperial pint is 568ml while one US pint is 473ml. Not that you'd be asking a barman for a US Pint in this country.

I don't think there is anything in Irish law concerning this.

All the kettle bells on Elvery's site are clearly shown as either Kg or Lb. It's not as though they are advertising one as the other or misleading in their product descriptions.

Oh it's labeled as 30lb. No disputing that. I missed that because:
    1) Nothing is labeled in pounds any more so I didn't check the unit
    2) In all my years I have never seen any weightlifting products sold in Ireland in pounds
    3) All the other kettlebells are measured in KG
    4) The most prominent thing on the page regarding that set are the large numbers which, in the EU, you expect to be KG.

Basically, I expected KG and I'm not the only one (I know someone else who ordered them thinking they were KG too). If they were going to sell pounds, I think they should have put up both units to avoid any confusion.

Well I mailed them and they got back to me. They're updating the product description. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

It is a little misleading alright, but in the US Kettlebells are all about pounds and never once have I heard anything but KGs mentioned in ireland.

Mind you ... a 15lb kettlebell is practically a useless item, better off wearing a big wristwatch when training !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

whippet wrote: »
    It is a little misleading alright, but in the US Kettlebells are all about pounds and never once have I heard anything but KGs mentioned in ireland.

Mind you ... a 15lb kettlebell is practically a useless item, better off wearing a big wristwatch when training !!

15lbs useless? Over a stone? What kind of a wristwatch do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

emeldc wrote: »
    15lbs useless? Over a stone? What kind of a wristwatch do you have?

Honestly 15lb's for a kettlebell is at the very, very low end. For a man who isn't very unfit it would feel like a total waste of effort. I'm not a big guy at all and I'm currently using more than twice that when I go to the gym.

weisses wrote: »

Considering it deals with UK rules, not hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

Khannie wrote: »
    Honestly 15lb's for a kettlebell is at the very, very low end. For a man who isn't very unfit it would feel like a total waste of effort. I'm not a big guy at all and I'm currently using more than twice that when I go to the gym.

most proper kettlebell course will start men off on a 16kg / 35lb (12kg min) ... working up to 24kg/28kg/32kg in a couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

am I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about sterling??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - stick to the topic please. No discussion on exercise merits or SI/Imperial/US units of measure.

dudara

Advertisement