Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating System for a Hostel

Options
  • 03-04-2014 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,

I am looking for advice or a good recommendation for a suitable gas boiler and heating system for my hostel.

I have approached a few manufacturers (Vaillant, Veissmann...etc..) and they have come up with fairly different solutions...which brings me here!

I need to find a general solution so that i can filter out what these companies or suppliers are just adding in to make an extra few euros.

The place is 185m2, 1st floor, built in the mid 1800's (its been renovated with new double glazing & roof insulation). We have 3 showers, 5 taps need hot water, for a potential daily capacity of 20 guests.

The house has been connected to the gas mains. There are no storage tanks or any other heating installed. It's a blank canvas in that respect.

I think a couple of factors are throwing off the manufacturers. What I essentially want to make sure is - there is enough hot water for everyone who would shower at peak times (7-11am/9pm-midnight) and also make sure that there would not be huge drop in pressure when all 3 showers are in use together. At the same time I am aware that not all 20 guests will shower in any one peak period. So, one company is recommending 2x500l storage tanks and another a 300l tank, and another is saying we don't need a tank at all, just pumps and a boiler...(???)

Then there is heating...we have 6 large rooms averaging 80m3 and 5 small bathrooms/shower rooms averaging 9m3 each.

I hope from this information someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers and all the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭kanji

First of all, the water heating:
    this is the rinnai instantaneous water, a semi commercial water heater up to 70kw output, can be linked together to increase output.
    A very good unit but water quality is of paramount importance
    http://www.gasproducts.ie/acatalog/Water_Heaters.html

This is an acv heatmaster water heater. Its a much more commercial, robust unit which can also be connected up to heat your rads
    http://www.acv.com/int-en/03_04/74/app.rvb

A break tank and pumps would be used to give a constant supply of pressure

While the acv can be used to heat rads, I think it's better left as a stand alone unit and using a(or two if required) wall mounted, condensing gas boiler such as the worcester bosch for your heating needs
    https://www.worcester-bosch.ie/homeowner/boilers/gas-boilers

The idea of using standalone units means that hot water doesn't suffer when there's a high heating demand and visa versa.

Obviously this is a very broad overview of what could be used and everything would need to be sized properly

Hope this helps, Neil

Advertisement