Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting your own business courses **advice**

Options
  • 03-04-2014 12:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

Hi All,

Looking for advice on decent SYOB courses available in Dublin, have heard some are not so good so I would rather not pay for a course that provides information I already know myself. I mainly need advice on registering a company, domain names, webpage start up etc & any legal info I should be aware of etc before doing so. Appreciate your advice please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I did mine with Brian O'Kane (author of "Starting a business in Ireland"). Great guy, very good course. Don't know if he's still running them but if he is, worth a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 linameryan

Thank you, I'll take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dextor03

Looking for a similar course myself and would like to know how you got on. Did you find a suitable course and would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rep man

I did a co enterprise one and tbh it wasn't super, 6 weeks and if I was a bit sharper and better read online I could've saved myself the 6 weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 linameryan

Thanks all. I ended up not doing one as I found most information was available online. I did however sign up for the mentoring service available through my local enterprise board which was fantastic and far more beneficial as I got to ask specific questions related to my company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ladiesman217

Hi All.
    a few users have stated that they could heave gone online, found the information. I have done a few of these so called start your own business courses, they have just been ok, and as others have said you could fined most of the stuff online. What most of them lack is a knowledge on how to get people who take part into a mindset on how to truly differentiate their business or idea, how to really create a brand thats going to stand out. I don't think the CEB's , have a real grasp on this aspect. They only tend to scratch the surface with any of the branding courses. There should be an emphases on how to generate user personas/ customer profiles, so business truly understand their customers, not just "we sell 18-25 year old males," these being elements of an overall process. I feel there is a larger problem with how the government provides these types of services, there is alack of knowledge of how design can help a SME. The UK design council are doing great work with small businesses in this regard, and they are seeing profits increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 msdoc

I did a DCEB course which was only ok but a friend did one, also run by DCEB, and it sounded really good.
    Thought that my course should have actually discussed the actual businesses which were being started by the participants, rather than totally obscure scenarios.
    Also, the course presenter didn't draw the group out. They all sat there like sheep. Couldn't understand why you would do a course like that and not participate/exploit the opportunity to get as much knowledge as possible.
    But the course that my friend did worked on their business plans and really sounded worthwhile. Just the luck of the draw.

Advertisement