Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Baskets

• 03-04-2014 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon folks,

Back again for some expert advice.

I have recently purchased a few hanging baskets for the garden.

I've cut some holes in the sides so as to give me ample room to insert some flowers whereby they will trail down the sides.

I've tried this is the past but after a few weeks the flowers stop growning or die off.

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction towards some suitable flowers which would trail from the basket and last the majority of the summer once watered on a regular basis and fed on occasion.

I was going to rush into buying pansies or something similar which you get in multipacs from woodies and the likes but obviously would prefer some expert opinion from here.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭handandy

Good afternoon folks,

Back again for some expert advice.

I have recently purchased a few hanging baskets for the garden.

I've cut some holes in the sides so as to give me ample room to insert some flowers whereby they will trail down the sides.

I've tried this is the past but after a few weeks the flowers stop growning or die off.

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction towards some suitable flowers which would trail from the basket and last the majority of the summer once watered on a regular basis and fed on occasion.

I was going to rush into buying pansies or something similar which you get in multipacs from woodies and the likes but obviously would prefer some expert opinion from here.

Thanks folks.
    are the hanging baskets close to the walls or porch of the house ? are you watering them enough ? did you put in a granular feed or some food sticks when potting up the hanging baskets ? pots and baskets that are in the shadow of a house or outbuilding will not get that wet when it rains so you need to water well and water regulary too otherwize the hanging basket will struggle and more than likely die . you could plant some small geraniums or cyclamen in the baskets for some nice colour and maybe a small trailing ivy or 2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

handandy wrote: »
    are the hanging baskets close to the walls or porch of the house ? are you watering them enough ? did you put in a granular feed or some food sticks when potting up the hanging baskets ? pots and baskets that are in the shadow of a house or outbuilding will not get that wet when it rains so you need to water well and water regulary too otherwize the hanging basket will struggle and more than likely die . you could plant some small geraniums or cyclamen in the baskets for some nice colour and maybe a small trailing ivy or 2 .

They are on brackets about a foot from the wall.

Watered at least once a week, sometimes more in good weather.

Granular feed was added when planting.

Not hanging in the shade of the house.

Is it possible to get something like this that will flower all summer long?

petunia-basket.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would almost guarantee that that basket was planted in the top, not through holes in the sides. You need to do all the things mentioned above, but plants generally seem to be happier growing upwards and then trailing, rather than being planted pointing downwards! Its difficult to water baskets when they are punctured like that, the water just dribbles out of the holes instead of making all the compost moist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Guttervac

Trailing begonias "non-stop" make lovely hanging baskets, they flower from early June right up to the September, then take in the corms and store them in a dark dry place and keep them for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

The plants you mostly see around during summer are surfinia petunias (like in your photo). You can get them in any garden centre or hardware. Lidl will have them soon too ...
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-D4139527-9DDF9F31/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/3157.htm

You say you watered them once a week. In summer you need to water them once A DAY. At least. Preferably early in the morning and then in the evening.
    The trick with hanging baskets is to use the largest you can get your hands on. I struggled with 12 inch baskets in the beginning. The amount of compost they hold isn't enough. It dries out too quickly. And the compost runs out of steam too soon. So the plants don't getting enough water or food. Go for 18 inch baskets. Or at the very least 14 inches.
    You are right to plant through the sides of the baskets. There are plenty of videos on youtube on how to do it. But be sure to use trailing types like surfinias, lobelia or trailing pelargoniums (geraniums). What type of liner are you using? Usually you don't have to cut out holes, just makes slits and slip the plants through. Poke some holes in the lining if it is plastic so excess water can drain out but put a small saucer in the bottom of the basket so there is always a reservoir to hold some water.
    Add granular feed or food sticks to the compost when you plant up. You can also add water retaining crystals. The food will run out after a few weeks. So you will have to feed the baskets yourself then. A good liquid tomato food would be ideal.
    So basically you'll be successful if you use a large basket and give them the care and attention they need. You cant just plant up and water them once a week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

redser7 wrote: »
    The plants you mostly see around during summer are surfinia petunias (like in your photo). You can get them in any garden centre or hardware. Lidl will have them soon too ...
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-D4139527-9DDF9F31/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/3157.htm

You say you watered them once a week. In summer you need to water them once A DAY. At least. Preferably early in the morning and then in the evening.
    The trick with hanging baskets is to use the largest you can get your hands on. I struggled with 12 inch baskets in the beginning. The amount of compost they hold isn't enough. It dries out too quickly. And the compost runs out of steam too soon. So the plants don't getting enough water or food. Go for 18 inch baskets. Or at the very least 14 inches.
    You are right to plant through the sides of the baskets. There are plenty of videos on youtube on how to do it. But be sure to use trailing types like surfinias, lobelia or trailing pelargoniums (geraniums). What type of liner are you using? Usually you don't have to cut out holes, just makes slits and slip the plants through. Poke some holes in the lining if it is plastic so excess water can drain out but put a small saucer in the bottom of the basket so there is always a reservoir to hold some water.
    Add granular feed or food sticks to the compost when you plant up. You can also add water retaining crystals. The food will run out after a few weeks. So you will have to feed the baskets yourself then. A good liquid tomato food would be ideal.
    So basically you'll be successful if you use a large basket and give them the care and attention they need. You cant just plant up and water them once a week :)

Thanks for that Redser.

Advertisement