Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job hunting in Melbourne (WHV) - Any advice?

Options
  • 03-04-2014 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I'v been here two months now. Had 3 different jobs. The first was in a kitchen but I only got a couple of shifts as their usual kitchenhand was sick. The second was for a charity and I was getting commission but that was shut down as the team leader didn't have a licence apparently. Then I had a two week trial as a receptionist but didn't get the job afterwards. (I did my best but the boss was a prick and working under his constant supervision was horrible anyway).

Back on the job hunt again now and I'm finding it hard. Every time I go to the library or handing out CV's I see a load of other backpackers all doing the same thing. Everyone's applying for the same sort of jobs, in hospitality, promotions, etc. I have tailored CV's and am applying for a fair few jobs each day but it just seems like a lottery as to who gets the call.

Would anyone who's been in the same position as me in Melbourne recently have any advice? Any contacts that might be able to help? Please send me a PM if so.

I'm 25, have a degree in Arts (English was my major) and also am qualified as a Personal Trainer.( Gyms here only want to sign trainers to a long term contract. I'm planning to go do my regional work in a few months so can't do that) I have my RSA licence. I will take any kind of job I can get, as long as it's not purely commission based as those are often dodgy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

CM24 wrote: »
    I'v been here two months now. Had 3 different jobs. The first was in a kitchen but I only got a couple of shifts as their usual kitchenhand was sick. The second was for a charity and I was getting commission but that was shut down as the team leader didn't have a licence apparently. Then I had a two week trial as a receptionist but didn't get the job afterwards. (I did my best but the boss was a prick and working under his constant supervision was horrible anyway).

Back on the job hunt again now and I'm finding it hard. Every time I go to the library or handing out CV's I see a load of other backpackers all doing the same thing. Everyone's applying for the same sort of jobs, in hospitality, promotions, etc. I have tailored CV's and am applying for a fair few jobs each day but it just seems like a lottery as to who gets the call.

Would anyone who's been in the same position as me in Melbourne recently have any advice? Any contacts that might be able to help? Please send me a PM if so.

I'm 25, have a degree in Arts (English was my major) and also am qualified as a Personal Trainer.( Gyms here only want to sign trainers to a long term contract. I'm planning to go do my regional work in a few months so can't do that) I have my RSA licence. I will take any kind of job I can get, as long as it's not purely commission based as those are often dodgy.

Sorry this isn't actually particular job hunting advice in Melb...but why not go for the long term contract, then leave when you need to. Its not completely honest - but you don't have to tell them you plan to leave in x months.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I could do that alright and probably should have done that when I first came over. I turned down a couple of offers cos I was afraid if I breached my contract that I'd get in big trouble. Maybe it's worth a go. The way most PT jobs work over here is, you have to pay the gym about $300 a week to use their facilities. In return, they provide you with clients, who you charge roughly $40-70 per hour session. But, seeing as you won't have many clients for your first few months, you don't have to pay any rent and then it gradually increases each month as you build up your clients.

So, in theory. For the next few months I could train clients whilst paying feck all rent, then bail off! It is tempting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jedi1997

BGozIE wrote: »
    Sorry this isn't actually particular job hunting advice in Melb...but why not go for the long term contract, then leave when you need to. Its not completely honest - but you don't have to tell them you plan to leave in x months.

Yeah mess it up for the next Irish person that looks for a job with those people. Great advice.

Any other Irish person that walks out on a job or lies, you basically give a bad name to next person who comes knocking on that door.
    Keep doing what you are doing -karma will pay you back, you sound like a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Backpacker job board if your ever stuck for cash. Only short term jobs but 2 out of 3 jobs I got off it were paying cash

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CM24 wrote: »
    qualified as a Personal Trainer.( Gyms here only want to sign trainers to a long term contract. I'm planning to go do my regional work in a few months so can't do that) .
    Why not?
    jedi1997 wrote: »
    Yeah mess it up for the next Irish person that looks for a job with those people. Great advice.

Any other Irish person that walks out on a job or lies, you basically give a bad name to next person who comes knocking on that door.
    Keep doing what you are doing -karma will pay you back, you sound like a good guy.
    As long as he gives the proper notice, which for a contact role will probably be 14 days, he is not doing anything wrong by leaving.

There nothing wrong with leaving a job of your own accord. Have people struggled for work so much that they forget that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

jedi1997 wrote: »

Sorry when did I ever say I do that? I've been in the same job 3 years? Don't start spouting about karma when you have no idea, you sound like an idiot.

As Mellor states;
    Mellor wrote: »
    Why not?

As long as he gives the proper notice, which for a contact role will probably be 14 days, he is not doing anything wrong by leaving.

There nothing wrong with leaving a job of your own accord. Have people struggled for work so much that they forget that?

You give your notice and you leave. Just because its a contract role, does not mean you can't leave, this isn't slave labour. If he is performing in the job until he leaves, and gives his notice period, how is that messing it up for other Irish people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mod lets go easy on the name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Why not do your regional work now so that you'll be able to spend the rest of your WHV in Melbourne. It means you wont have to worry about breaking your contract to do the regional work later. It'll give you peace of mind and you'll be able to settle a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I'v just paid a month's rent up-front for my current house. I was thinking June, July and August would be the best times to head off for your regional work as those would be Melbourne's coldest months. Wihlst in Darwin, it wouldn't be as unbearably hot as it normally is for those 3 months. Not a huge deal really at the end of the day. I'll do some research over the next few days and if there is some regional work going I might take it and get someone else to take my place in this house and pay me the rent. Cheers for the replies guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 allic

I am in Melbourne since end of January, am working as a CRT teacher and working evenings and weekends in a restaurant. started in the restaurant less than 2 weeks ago, there has been at least 10 people in for interviews during this time seems that there is ALOT of people going for the same jobs alright. Also my boyfriend has found it very hard to get work as a Carpenter and has rang/sent resumes/messaged near to 100 people and has got nothing. my experience is that Work seems to be very slow in Melbourne at the moment im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Casual Hospitality jobs can be tougher to come by once Grand Prix is over particularly in beach side suburbs. Visitor numbers tend to drop off in Melbourne from April until Spring Carnival starts in Sept.
    So you are better to target CBD, and busy streets like Brunswick St, Fitzroy
    Smith St, Collingwood, Lygon St in Carlton & Brunswick, Chapel St, Sth Yarra & in Richmond Bridge Rd east of Church (though there will be more competition from fellow backpackers in Sth Yarra & CBD I suspect)
    Victoria & Melbourne has taken a big hit in job losses in recent months so there's definitely not as much handy work out there at the minute.

Advertisement