Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE van weight

Options
  • 03-04-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi
    I have not used the van these last two years and am now getting it ready for its first Irish DOE.
    I believe it was registered in Germany as 4000kgs but I am not sure if the label under the bonnet may have been changed back to allow it to be sold as 3500kgs.
    Among the paperwork I have is a cert from Goldschmitt giving weight as 3850kgs after they had fitted air springs.
    The reg documents are a work of fiction,make is "unspecified" and many other figures are 0.
    My questions are .
    Do I have to get the reg docs corrected before test.
    What is the status of the label as changed (photo attached)
    The van is very near to 3500kgs empty so I need to reg it at least at 3850kgs(I am ok for license)
    Thanks in advance
    Yours Zambo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

zambo wrote: »
    Hi
    I have not used the van these last two years and am now getting it ready for its first Irish DOE.
    I believe it was registered in Germany as 4000kgs but I am not sure if the label under the bonnet may have been changed back to allow it to be sold as 3500kgs.
    Among the paperwork I have is a cert from Goldschmitt giving weight as 3850kgs after they had fitted air springs.
    The reg documents are a work of fiction,make is "unspecified" and many other figures are 0.
    My questions are .
    The van is very near to 3500kgs empty so I need to reg it at least at 3850kgs(I am ok for license)
    Thanks in advance
    Yours Zambo.

Top number is supposed to be gvw and second max train weight. Plate now looks like your gross train weight is less than your gvw. I'd guess its supposed to be 4000kg and 5500kg. 3850kg is very tight in terms of water, gas, provisions, passengers if your planning on travelling in the uk/europe where they will happily bring you to a weighbridge.

One legitimate way to sort it out is via svtech.co.uk who would supply you with a new plate and supporting document for a few hundred euro. Once its registered there doesn't seem to be a system in place to change it at least I failed to find one after consulting several offices so I'd aim high for the 4100kg gvw and 5500kg gtw if svtech can do that as you won't get a second chance.

[edit] heres a pic of someone else that has the facelift model uprated to that weight.
    Copy1ofHymerTrampupgradeVIN_zps3a56b344.jpg

Of course you could get creative with a letter punch and fix that train weight:)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

If you do register the GVW above 3500 you wont be able to drive it on a car licence.
    You will need category C or C1

http://www.ndls.ie/en/Driving-Licence/driving-licence-categories.html

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Very common to have make/model unknown and all weights zero on imported campers, no need to get it changed.
    As for the VIN plate > http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/ fast delivery to Ireland from this lad and all you need is a punch or a scriber.
    The DOE tester will go with the weights that are on his computer and they will correspond with what's on your logbook. He will just check the plate to make sure the VIN is the same and it should also be stamped into the body somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hi
    My questions are .
    Thanks in advance
    Yours Zambo.

The plate seems to be a right mess.
    Weight 1 (the top Kg) is supposed to indicate the vehicle GVW
    Weight 2 (the second Kg) is supposed to indicate the Gross Train Weight

However weights 3 & 4 seem OK, 3 being the original and still applicable front axle weight and 4 the revised rear axle weight after being modified.

It is indeed unfortunate that a lot if not all RF101 forms (Vehicle Registration Certificates) seem to be works of fiction and bear little relationship to the values recorded on a vehicles original registration documentation or Certificate of Conformity.

SV Tech would seem to be your best bet, but during my recent visit to Transport Services in Cork for my test I spoke to Bill O'Shea about sorting plates on motorhomes, being accredited by The NSAI he was of the opinion that his company could be of help in getting a motorhome re-plated to reflect its true load carnying capability and satisfy the requirements of a the VTN test manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi
    Thanks for the answers,As i said I am ok for the license.
    Moodrater my van is registered in Ireland although the reg gives weight as 0kgs
    are you saying it cant be changed or that once the weight is given it cannot be amended
    Will the doe tester follow the vin plate or will they want to see some cert and would a second plate giving the correct figures do the job if it looked official.I dont want to fall foul of the insurance company in the event of an accident.If I use sv tech do they supply a vin plate and is it used with or instead of the original.
    I thought all of this worrying enough but today while re-reading my reg documents found out that my van has zero axles.
    Thanks again.
    yours Zambo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Hi
    Thanks for the answers,As i said I am ok for the license.
    Moodrater my van is registered in Ireland although the reg gives weight as 0kgs
    are you saying it cant be changed or that once the weight is given it cannot be amended
    Will the doe tester follow the vin plate or will they want to see some cert and would a second plate giving the correct figures do the job if it looked official.I dont want to fall foul of the insurance company in the event of an accident.If I use sv tech do they supply a vin plate and is it used with or instead of the original.
    I thought all of this worrying enough but today while re-reading my reg documents found out that my van has zero axles.
    Thanks again.
    yours Zambo

If its already registered here then DOE will go by whats listed under E1. When I looked into having a van uprated here, I spoke to several offices I was basically told there was no procedure to change the weight but since your entire rf101 seems invalid I'm sure you can get it remedied. Actually my pal marlow seems to have managed it since by escalating it to mullingar: http://www.backroads.ie/forums/archive/index.php/t-8127.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

moodrater wrote: »
    If its already registered here then DOE will go by whats listed under E1. When I looked into having a van uprated here, I spoke to several offices I was basically told there was no procedure to change the weight but since your entire rf101 seems invalid I'm sure you can get it remedied. Actually my pal marlow seems to have managed it since by escalating it to mullingar: http://www.backroads.ie/forums/archive/index.php/t-8127.html

There are procedures in place to get the weight changed. THIS LINK contains info about SV Tech and also links to the RSA test manuals which contain the form to be completed, they're towards the back of the manuals. There is are different forms for vehicles up to 3,500kg and those over 3,500kg
    In this respect The RSA seem to be up to speed at their end but the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division of the Department of Transport Tourism and Sport, located in Shannon, who manage the NVDF (National Vehicle & Driver File), and are responsible for ensuring the database is correct and if not amended as appropriate, seem to be still in the dark.

A friend recently had no less than eight errors or omissions in the (RF101), when an approach to Shannon was made to get them rectifies was told that they went on what the Revenue sent them.
    There seems to be no one looking at this information who has the ability to quality check it to ensure it is complete and correct, hence the majority of Vehicle Registration Certificates contain a high proportion of inaccurate or pure rubbish information.

Rant over :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi
    We need to keep ranting.The people we are paying to administer the rules are incompetent.I contacted Shannon today to see what I needed to do to correct my reg doc,tried explaining the problems with the cert such as permissible mass is 1kg
    mass in service is 0kg and number of axles is 0.The answer to this from the lady in shannon was"and does it have axles".
    She told me to post my cert to and she would correct it.I asked what info she had on the van but she cant give it out over the phone,I asked if she could confirm several of the amounts on the form to be told she had no record of van type,weight,number of axles or wheelbase.She could not understand why I wanted the info to be correct and told me if I wanted to know the max weight to bring it to a weighbridge.While she transferred me to a colleague who was equally unsure I overheard her say"I cant get rid of him off the phone".Her colleague then told me they could not alter anything on the cert without being told by revenue in rosslare.
    Contacted Rosslare who told me they only deal with vrt and their records only show the make,model,colour and the weight on the day I paid the vrt.If a private organization was run like this it would fold very quickly.
    I may have to go the sv tech route but it is galling to have to pay 300 euro approx to correct their mistakes.
    Rant off switch not working
    Yours Zambo.

Advertisement