Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoOp Options

• 03-04-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm in the middle of my CoOp placement. It has been tough, both physically and mentally and has left me very sore and very tired but nothing a few trips to physio can't solve. Recently though, I've been developing something more serious and went to the doc about it. Although it's not definite I have it yet (test results next week), if I do, it'll leave me unable to finish this placement or do most others. So, just in case the results come back positive, I'm wondering what my options are... Is a CoOp exemption possible at this stage? Would they make allowances for smaller placements where they wouldn't usually let people go to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

In situations where there's a medical reason the university tend to be fairly accommodating. How many months have you completed on co-op? IIRC, the minimum you need to complete to pass is 6 months but you'd need to confirm this with the co-op office. I'd imagine complete exemptions from co-op are rare, but you'd probably be allowed complete the remainder of the time at a later period e.g. over the summer period next year.

Talk to your course director and the co-op office for definitive advice and options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thanks, that clears it up a little. I've only done two and I'm in my third. My situation (if it is) won't be resolved by next year I'm afraid but that's interesting. Does that affect graduation?
    Trying to get through to CoOp office for a while now with no luck. Think I might wait for results before going into them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Are you friendly with any lectures in your department? If you are inform them of your situation they will be able to help you out more than we can and guide you through some options. Also inform your department, the coop office will back down quickly with the department on your side if you have any issues later on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Russellynx

not familiar with the details, nor am i asking for any, but is this some kind of horesy thing? if your problem is physical, maybe the coop placement can accomodate you by letting you off any of that physical stuff. if it's a situation where they won't be able to pay you then, probably volunteer to complete the minimum co-op pro bono (just to get the college requirement done) or move co-op placement.

however if you do get certified off and the college accepts that in lieu of completing placement that will be grand too. best to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Russellynx wrote: »
    not familiar with the details, nor am i asking for any, but is this some kind of horesy thing? if your problem is physical, maybe the coop placement can accomodate you by letting you off any of that physical stuff. if it's a situation where they won't be able to pay you then, probably volunteer to complete the minimum co-op pro bono (just to get the college requirement done) or move co-op placement.

however if you do get certified off and the college accepts that in lieu of completing placement that will be grand too. best to ask.
    It is horsey, yeah. Unfortunately, it's all physical work and it was that that caused the problems in the first place. I'm not getting paid as it is but I would settle for a change of placement if it's not too intensive but I know with our placements, they don't like you going somewhere small.

• Advertisement
Advertisement