Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Containing dogs on a minimal budget?

• 03-04-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I've two dogs, and a very large garden, with a neighbours garden on every side.
    They two cheeky beggars are constantly breaking into the neighbours, hassling them and their pets. They have been very understanding so far but I have to stop it.
    The gardens are lseoersted with bushes mainly and some very old broken fencing.
    I've asked my landlord to fix the fence but he said that containing my dogs is my problem. I've tried to patch up the holes with thick chicken wire and bricks but they break through, or find another hole.
    I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to separate an area of the garden for them with a fence (to fence the whole thing would cost a fortune).
    As I said in the title, my budget is very small right now, at least until next month, but I can't keep them confined for a month, and I can't let them pester the neighbours for a month either!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Melissa30

Cilldara.ice get recommended a lot on here for dog runs. I don't know what the prices are though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Try and get builders security fencing. You can get it cheap enough these days if you look on done deal and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Is keeping them inside the house an option? Are they walked enough, so that they're tired out? Are they un-neutered males trying to get at a female in heat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

They are walked plenty, and are essentially house dogs most of the time. There are two days where I'm gone for 4 hours, and one where I'm gone for 6 hours. The rest of the week they are with me, indoors or outdoors. I just need to be able to let them out without them escaping.
    I friend has shown me a fence he made of pallets, and it's done very well and looks great too, and has kindly offered to build one for me if I can source some euro pallets, so that's my current job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Shelli2 wrote: »
    They are walked plenty, and are essentially house dogs most of the time. There are two days where I'm gone for 4 hours, and one where I'm gone for 6 hours. The rest of the week they are with me, indoors or outdoors. I just need to be able to let them out without them escaping.
    I friend has shown me a fence he made of pallets, and it's done very well and looks great too, and has kindly offered to build one for me if I can source some euro pallets, so that's my current job :)

That sounds good and pallets are quite cheap I think?
    Sorry your original post made it sound like they were outside the whole time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I'd be very interested in seeing photos of his or your pallet fence :-). Thanks

snoman wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in seeing photos of his or your pallet fence :-). Thanks

I'll be sure to post pics when it's finished :)

It used to be really easy to get pallets but doesn't seem to be anymore. I've been warned to only use heat treated pallets, don't want any nasty chemicals in the garden :)
    Euro pallets seem to be the best, but sourcing them is proving difficult.
    If anyone knows where I'd get about 8 euro pallets please let me know. Ideally delivered and I'd pay for delivery, but I could do numerous runs in my car if needs be, think I'd only fit one in at a time though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It used to be really easy to get pallets but doesn't seem to be anymore. I've been warned to only use heat treated pallets, don't want any nasty chemicals in the garden :)
    Euro pallets seem to be the best, but sourcing them is proving difficult.
    If anyone knows where I'd get about 8 euro pallets please let me know. Ideally delivered and I'd pay for delivery, but I could do numerous runs in my car if needs be, think I'd only fit one in at a time though.
    Best bet is looking up local industries and ask if they got any partily broken pallets you can buy. Saves them the money to throw them away and you money on the pallets. You could also reach out to Chep as they send around a ton of pallets in Europe but don't know if they would sell directly (simply not profitable enough).

Advertisement