Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces WWDC 14 (June 2-6)

Options
  • 03-04-2014 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Apple have just announced that this years WWDC will kick off this June and will run from the 2nd - 6th. As usual we'll see the future of iOS and OSX, most likely iOS 8 and OS X 10.10.
    301496.jpg

I'm hoping to see some new hardware introduced, as they've pushed back the release or the iPhones and iPads closer to Christmas I'm wondering if they have anything new to offer. One thing I'd love to see is some new categories that have been rumoured for years. Topping my list would be an open SDK for he Apple TV though. And maybe an update to the hardware with some gaming controllers support to make it a really great set-top box/gaming system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Well they don't seem to do much hardware wise at WWDC the past few years. They could give a sneak preview of the iWatch to whet the appetite like they did with the Mac Pro but release it in November.

There will still be people writing about the rumour of the iPhone 6 coming in June but that's very unlikely unless it was to come with 7.1

iOS 8 will probably be underwhelming but I think it could be a big year for OSX. Hopefully a redesign and even more performance improvements if possible!

Either way I'll be hoping to be free to watch the keynote live like I do every year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Reckon we might see new Macbooks/glimpse of the plans for IOS8 etc.
    And maybe Apple TV..Apple really need to do something for the ATV...mine is just basically sitting at home doing sodall since I have a NAS which streams all my shows/movies to my smart tv.

iPhone will be a separate event later on so don't expect to see anything being mentioned there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Won't be long before bloggers say that the white at the bottom of logo forms half a sideways '8' and also the phone will come in multiple colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Hopefully an Apple TV upgrade and an open app store / skd for it. It's a while since it's last upgrade and due one. The Amazon FireTV which launched yesterday is a lot more powerful with more features at the same price (admittedly it's US only currently). Ruku and Google's chromecast have both launched or improved a lot since the last Apple TV update.

I'd expect iOS8 to be relatively minor but I'm still interested to see what it will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Any Boardsies planning on going?

• Advertisement

Zcott wrote: »
    Any Boardsies planning on going?

Getting a ticket is a lottery.

Ok, any boardsies planning on entering the lottery? ;-)

Ok, any boardsies planning on entering the lottery? ;-)

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Yep

You might want to edit your email out of that pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Looking forward to this, much chance of a Retina MBA announcement?

• Advertisement

McGrath5 wrote: »

Very possible. Would be quite tempting too. Imagine an rMBA with the same 12 hour battery life. Now that would be innovation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

McGrath5 wrote: »

It's looking likely and has been rumoured a lot the last few months. These things can always change last minute but it's possible.

Mr.S wrote: »
    $1,599 for a ticket, jeepers.

Well it's pretty much targeted at big time developers that would get a lot of use out of the hands on workshops etc. An investment that could pay off dividends.

Also the more I think about it, the more the iWatch announcement is likely. If iOS 8 is going to be focussing on fitness and the like, they could be announcing the iWatch stuff alongside it along with an SDK for app developers to work on it before it's released or do we think it's going to be restricted to Apple apps at launch?

I suspect it will be very similar to CarPlay, where there are Apple approved apps on the display and no SDK.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Name in the hat, we'll find out if we're picked soon :pac:
    Mr.S wrote: »
    $1,599 for a ticket, jeepers.

for a week long event, and the chance to actually talk to apple engineers, 1 on 1 labs and demos and a party at the end of it, it kind of pays for itself (especially if you can get work to pay for it :pac:).

Also the more I think about it, the more the iWatch announcement is likely. If iOS 8 is going to be focussing on fitness and the like, they could be announcing the iWatch stuff alongside it along with an SDK for app developers to work on it before it's released or do we think it's going to be restricted to Apple apps at launch?

I'd be fairly sure we won't see the iWatch at this event, it's definitely something that would get its own event for release. WWDC is mainly about software, which is why I think we could see an Apple TV SDK. Maybe then they'd release updated hardware alongside it.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I'd be fairly sure we won't see the iWatch at this event, it's definitely something that would get its own event for release. WWDC is mainly about software, which is why I think we could see an Apple TV SDK. Maybe then they'd release updated hardware alongside it.

I know that it's mainly about software which is why I suggested it could be previewed to tie in with the health focus of iOS 8 and if it was to come out in Autumn, developers would need to be able to code for it if it's going to be open to them. Not too likely but you never know.

I know that it's mainly about software which is why I suggested it could be previewed to tie in with the health focus of iOS 8 and if it was to come out in Autumn, developers would need to be able to code for it if it's going to be open to them. Not too likely but you never know.

Apple always give their developer access to write software for upcoming devices. we get iOS 5/6/7 months before the general public.

that being said though an iWatch - still shudder saying that - is a new product category so may not get early access.

healthbook could leverage using the plethora of health devices out there atm, fuelbands, jawbones, fitbits until apple sherlock them all and announce their own.

healthbook could leverage using the plethora of health devices out there atm, fuelbands, jawbones, fitbits until apple sherlock them all and announce their own.

The 9to5mac screenshot mockups of healthbook (which are apparently very accurate) show all kind of things like hydration and blood oxygen levels which I believe need dedicated hardware, so I imagine there'll always be a market for health related devices but Apple will leverage those like you suggested.

Still, I'd wear an Apple wearable without even knowing what it does. Is that wrong? :-(

Still, I'd wear an Apple wearable without even knowing what it does. Is that wrong? :-(

yup, as my signature suggests I tried wearable with the current best device around (pebble) I couldn't hack it. two weeks and i want rid ;)

that being said an apple wearable will but lightyears ahead of anything current.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

It's a big year for Apple. The tide has turned and it needs a big hit. Even the doting US market will turn if there is nothing new soon.

It's a big year for Apple. The tide has turned and it needs a big hit. Even the doting US market will turn if there is nothing new soon.
    Funny, that's been said for the last couple of years. the financial reports of apple really suggest otherwise.

Apple always give their developer access to write software for upcoming devices. we get iOS 5/6/7 months before the general public.

Pretty sure we both knew that :)

I don't know if that quote from Tim Cook about new products across 2014 is accurate anymore. The first quarter has already passed and all we've gotten is the reintroduction of the iPad 4th Gen and an 8GB 5C. Hardly anything to get excited about. And looking like we won't see anything else until June, with a possibility of it being just software announcemtns.

I've a feeling he was just hyping things up to keep people on side. For me, the best thing to come from Apple for the last 2 years has been iOS 7. As a huge fan of all things Apple it's annoying having nothing new to leave my bank balance empty :D

So, anyone get lucky? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

So, anyone get lucky? :-)

Ahh...now....very personal question,

If you are a regular Coppers customer, most likely yes :P

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't know if that quote from Tim Cook about new products across 2014 is accurate anymore. The first quarter has already passed and all we've gotten is the reintroduction of the iPad 4th Gen and an 8GB 5C. Hardly anything to get excited about. And looking like we won't see anything else until June, with a possibility of it being just software announcemtns.

I've a feeling he was just hyping things up to keep people on side. For me, the best thing to come from Apple for the last 2 years has been iOS 7. As a huge fan of all things Apple it's annoying having nothing new to leave my bank balance empty :D
    2014 goes on all year!

Their two big events almost always fall in June and the autumn. This event will be about software and (imo) the autumn event will see the new iPhone(s) and probably a watch.

We might get an idea as to what new hardware is coming by seeing what new apps are in the pipeline, but personally just give me my bigger screen iP6 already....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

A new iPod has to be on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Keno wrote: »
    A new iPod has to be on the cards.

Ye they seem to be if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality with iPods for a while

• Advertisement

Less than a week from WWDC 14 now, seems like the most likely things we'll see will be iOS 8 and OS X 10.10. As well as updated ATV hardware and a possible 12" Retina MacBook Air as well an update to the iMac lineup with a less expensive version.

Hopefully it'll be live streamed on the ATV as well.

Edit: Apple has confirmed the keynote will be live streamed.

Advertisement