Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces WWDC 14 (June 2-6)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Damnit, I'm teaching until 8:30. And I really shouldn't call in sick...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Well stoked for 10.10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’m sceptical we’ll see any major hardware announcements beyond refreshed and price reduced iMacs and possibly MBPs. iWatch and new ATVs are almost definitely out of the question. Given the event will be fairly Mac-centric, the Retina Air is a stronger possibility but I’m still doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Zcott wrote: »
    Damnit, I'm teaching until 8:30. And I really shouldn't call in sick...

'Sorry I can't come in I've a case of Apple addiction' Haha. It's going around so I'd call in if I was you. :D

Looking forward to seeing what they do with OS X too.

Add this website as a home screen icon for a nice iOS7 themed countdown.

http://wwdctimer.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I can remember the excitement of that first glimpse of the iOS 7 lock screen like it was yesterday & as soon as I saw control centre as well. That keynote was enjoyable. iOS 8 could be very good if it's a big polish on top of 8 with the usual 10 features that maybe 4 you will use/need but I'm happy with that :)

Aodhagan wrote: »
    I can remember the excitement of that first glimpse of the iOS 7 lock screen like it was yesterday & as soon as I saw control centre as well. That keynote was enjoyable. iOS 8 could be very good if it's a big polish on top of 8 with the usual 10 features that maybe 4 you will use/need but I'm happy with that :)

It's probably the biggest wow moment I've had with Apple since the iPhone 4. Those two announcements got me really excited about getting a hands on and using it, so much so that I downloaded the iOS 7 beta.

DubDJ wrote: »
    It's probably the biggest wow moment I've had with Apple since the iPhone 4. Those two announcements got me really excited about getting a hands on and using it, so much so that I downloaded the iOS 7 beta.

Haha yeah same & went back to iOS 6 within a day :P

iOS 8 will be going on my iPad but not iPhone as I don't need that to be reliable & might try the next OS X beta on a VM at first.

Haha yeah same & went back to iOS 6 within a day :P

iOS 8 will be going on my iPad but not iPhone as I don't need that to be reliable & might try the next OS X beta on a VM at first.

I think I done the exact same thing too. It ran my battery down in a few hours so I downgraded. I think OS X will be the big focus of the event so expect iOS to get minor upgrades.

I figure either this or the next iteration of OSX will be a major, ground up release. I expect this version to have a very nice veneer, and then the next versions of OSX and iOS to have similar cores with an aim to integration.

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »
    I figure either this or the next iteration of OSX will be a major, ground up release. I expect this version to have a very nice veneer, and then the next versions of OSX and iOS to have similar cores with an aim to integration.

Apparently there won't be any integration.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/27/apple-execs-say-ios-and-os-x-wont-merge-and-10-10-will-prove-that/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

We’re currently on 10.9, so the time for a new architecture is now. But after Federighi’s comments and the dropping of the cat names last year, I wouldn’t be expecting it for another 10 years at least, by which time even iOS will probably be getting a ground up release. Besides, OS X and iOS already share the same Darwin core, so there’s no need to go messing around with the architecture to make them more alike - they were extremely similar to begin with. Changing OS X’s architecture now would actually impede the progress Apple have already made in establishing parity of features and apps across their ecosystem. This has always been their real goal with so-called iOSification rather than “convergence”.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Really hope iOS 8 is just a iOS 7S version. It's still not done on iPad (coming from someone who develops for iPad Air and owns a mini retina).

Wonder what this could represent..

Wonder what this could represent..

It's not an 8, it's the new symbol for the infinite battery that never wastes :D

Next Mac OS will probably be called Yosemite, and it's also the 150th birthday of Yosemite this year. (Hat tip to Andy Ihnatko for pointing that out on MBW!)

I'm finished work at 1pm Monday so will be able to catch the keynote live at 6pm. Should make for good discussion in the thread too. I'd really like to know what the water idea with the iOS 8 banners could be about.

I'm finished work at 1pm Monday so will be able to catch the keynote live at 6pm. Should make for good discussion in the thread too. I'd really like to know what the water idea with the iOS 8 banners could be about.

I wouldn't think too much into it it's probably nothing at all. Usually there's a few people to over analye these types of things. But this years posters are very simple.

I'd say the new OS will definitely be called Yosemite, especially compared to some of the other rumoured names. Still not crazy about the naming scheme.

The water could be a cue to them
    Doing healthbook. Also it reminds me of the mavericks banner last year maybe they'll start naming iOS releases iOS 8 Santa Rosa for example. Not that I'd like that tbh.

• Advertisement

The water could be a cue to them
    Doing healthbook. Also it reminds me of the mavericks banner last year maybe they'll start naming iOS releases iOS 8 Santa Rosa for example. Not that I'd like that tbh.

I would be really surprised if they started to name iOS releases. Don't think that's going to happen anyway.

Don't think Healthbook will appeal to me or any of the rumoured iOS 8 features either. Still hoping for a few surprises Monday.

On the hardware front, I’m not expecting anything major. New, possibly Retina display iMacs and maybe the Mini will get a refresh. That’s it. No iWatch, no Apple TV, no iPhone. They are all too big to be squeezed into the last 30 minutes of the keynote. If not for the Intel delays we might have gotten new MacBooks, but I think that will be October now.

On the hardware front, I’m not expecting anything major. New, possibly Retina display iMacs and maybe the Mini will get a refresh. That’s it. No iWatch, no Apple TV, no iPhone. They are all too big to be squeezed into the last 30 minutes of the keynote. If not for the Intel delays we might have gotten new MacBooks, but I think that will be October now.

I think there could be rMBP's with a speed bump and possible price drop/set 8gb of RAM as the standard whilst getting rid of the non-retina model perhaps.

I'm ordering a new rMBP next week. Combination of waiting for it and 10.10 post-preview will just be too much.

I'm ordering a new rMBP next week. Combination of waiting for it and 10.10 post-preview will just be too much.

I'm looking to get one too but waiting on a couple of things to pan out first.

I've been working of this aging Dell laptop, XP, for the last year. It's been awful. "To turn off your computer, click Start."

Soon...

I've been working of this aging Dell laptop, XP, for the last year. It's been awful. "To turn off your computer, click Start."

Soon...

Oh well that's a definite need. I'm still using a 2011 MacBook Pro but it performs very well still after I upgraded the internals. That display is very tempting though!

I know! When I'm using a 27" iMac in work I'm all, "Man, this huge display is perfect for me." But then when I pop into CompuB and try the "15 rMBP, there's no comparison. Everything just looks terrible afterwards.

I think there could be rMBP's with a speed bump and possible price drop/set 8gb of RAM as the standard whilst getting rid of the non-retina model perhaps.

Even if Apple decided not to wait for Broadwell, now would probably be a bit too early. I think they’ll just wait until October.

• Advertisement

Even if Apple decided not to wait for Broadwell, now would probably be a bit too early. I think they’ll just wait until October.

The Airs were updated lately so it's never too early especially if they might have access to broadwell in November. It could tide a few people over until then. I don't know but it's more me hoping than anything I guess

Advertisement