Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces WWDC 14 (June 2-6)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

The keynote will be available live on Apple TV right? The channel isnt up yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Zhane wrote: »
    The keynote will be available live on Apple TV right? The channel isnt up yet...

It'll appear tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Woop

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

This is the first WWDC in a long time that there is very little concrete information on what to expect. We know iOS 8 and OSX 10.10 will be previewed, but there doesn't seem to be any conformation on what to expect with either. Also Im guessing its too early for there to be any focus on the Beats acquisition? Should be an interesting keynote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

colmulhall wrote: »
    This is the first WWDC in a long time that there is very little concrete information on what to expect. We know iOS 8 and OSX 10.10 will be previewed, but there doesn't seem to be any conformation on what to expect with either. Also Im guessing its too early for there to be any focus on the Beats acquisition? Should be an interesting keynote.

9to5Mac usually has pretty spot on info, they usually get most of the info every year, iOS will have small changes with a big change to the UI of OS X. Healthbook and Maps improvements will be the key features of iOS.

I'm hoping for a few surprised myself but can't imagine iOS will be too exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Well we will know this time tomorrow. Looking forward to Craig's presentation. Usually draws a few laughs but his passion for the software is great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

DubDJ wrote: »
    9to5Mac usually has pretty spot on info, they usually get most of the info every year, iOS will have small changes with a big change to the UI of OS X. Healthbook and Maps improvements will be the key features of iOS.

I'm hoping for a few surprised myself but can't imagine iOS will be too exciting.

Great write up by 9-5 but not terribly interesting. I love my mac but for Apple iOS is far more important and it's not looking very intersting. Although speed increases would be good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The big iOS upgrades always come in the iPhone "tick” years, so there’s no reason to expect anything major from iOS this year. OS-wise this will be a bigger year for Mac OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The big iOS upgrades always come in the iPhone "tick” years, so there’s no reason to expect anything major from iOS this year. OS-wise this will be a bigger year for Mac OS.

I don think they can afford to prioritise OS X over iOS at this stage. At best the spotlight will be shared.

miralize wrote: »
    I don think they can afford to prioritise OS X over iOS at this stage. At best the spotlight will be shared.

All news reporting over the past few months have pointed towards a big OS X refresh & minor improvements to iOS. 6 to 7 was a huge leap design wise. 7-8 should be polish and 10 talked about features on stage but realistically 3 or 4 of big benefit to most users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Aodhagan wrote: »
    All news reporting over the past few months have pointed towards a big OS X refresh & minor improvements to iOS. 6 to 7 was a huge leap design wise. 7-8 should be polish and 10 talked about features on stage but realistically 3 or 4 of big benefit to most users.

All reports indicate also that 10.10 will be polish too, albeit on a much grander scale...

iOS is too important to to Apple to be second fiddle in dev time to OS X. Its not they way I\d like it to be, but that is the case & Apple will iterate accordingly.

miralize wrote: »
    All reports indicate also that 10.10 will be polish too, albeit on a much grander scale...

iOS is too important to to Apple to be second fiddle in dev time to OS X. Its not they way I\d like it to be, but that is the case & Apple will iterate accordingly.

It's not going to be second fiddle to OS X but it just won't be a big change from 7 is all. Whereas 10.10 will be bigger in terms of update & change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

The thing is apple does share dev time between OS X and iOS. So the tick tick philosophy is correct. Doesn't apply to apps though, the apps tend to take centre stage in the leaner years. Maps for instance. So that could be health book this year.

One thing we can count on for tomorrow is that people people will expect absolutely crazy unbelievable things from Apple and when they don't deliver we'll get the usual 'iOS is stale', 'Apple aren't innovating' and of course 'Apple is doomed'.

Last year shocked and excited me but I like to go into these events not expecting a lot because there's not much that can be added these days in terms of features. It's mostly gimmicky stuff.

The WWDC channel is now on the Apple TV, looking forward to the Keynote later now.

The Verge has posted a story with supposedly leaked images of OS X but 9to5Mac are claiming them to be fakes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think people sometimes get WWDC mixed up with the old Macworld expo, where Apple announced the original iPhone, the MacBook Air, the Mac Mini, among others. WWDC is for developers, so the focus has always been on software. Apple has never launched a new product category at WWDC. And their stock price has dropped after every WWDC for the last decade - except for 2007 (Safari for Windows), 2008 (iPhone 3G) and 2012 (Retina MacBooks).

I think people sometimes get WWDC mixed up with the old Macworld expo, where Apple announced the original iPhone, the MacBook Air, the Mac Mini, among others. WWDC is for developers, so the focus has always been on software. Apple has never launched a new product category at WWDC. And their stock price has dropped after every WWDC for the last decade - except for 2007 (Safari for Windows), 2008 (iPhone 3G) and 2012 (Retina MacBooks).

I don't think anyone in here is suggesting we are going to see a new product category at WWDC but there is nothing to say we won't see updates to existing hardware. It may be developer focussed for the week but the opening day keynote is also a chance to announce new hardware alongside software.

I'm really hoping for an Apple TV SDK. If that was released I'd be happy enough. Perfect place for it too seeing as it's a developer conference.

I'm really hoping for an Apple TV SDK. If that was released I'd be happy enough. Perfect place for it too seeing as it's a developer conference.

You've been hoping for that with a few years now :-P I hope your wish comes true. I had an Apple TV for a week before but returned it. Doesn't do anything special for me right now to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

With the store not down. I guess that rules out ANY new hardware being announced. What time does it usually go down at?

• Advertisement

They seem to be holding back on the TV stuff, probably until the content deals are in place. I think they’ll announce it all together when it’s ready. And an Apple TV SDK would be such a big deal they might announce it in advance of the event properly covering it, like they did with the iPhone SDK.

The only big thing I’m hoping for is the Retina Air. We know they’ve been working on it for a while. And unlike the MBP, it’s not tied to Intel’s Broadwell roadmap.

Brian017 wrote: »
    With the store not down. I guess that rules out ANY new hardware being announced. What time does it usually go down at?

It can go down anytime before the keynote.

I’ll be very surprised if no hardware whatsoever is announced. New iMacs or new accessories or something will almost definitely be announced.

10.10 Yosemite - we've brought your favourite iOS 7 icons to the Mac!

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Yosemite

Flat Tiger-esque Dock FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

here we go! bring on the awesome! :D

I rarely use my Apple TV, usually I do for events like this :D Otherwise it's gathering dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

Any links to sites covering it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

guil wrote: »

apple.com is live streamin

guil wrote: »

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2014/

• Advertisement