Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces WWDC 14 (June 2-6)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Swift looks epic and as a programer myself coding is made a lot easier with everything just cut to a few lines.

Will be basing my college project of using Metal with Swift

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

murpho999 wrote: »
    Please don't start an Android v iOS war, they both copy each other.

I'm not starting anything.

I'm happy as an Android user, happy with my Freedom.

Just as someone who is interested in general tech the fact that I can't watch it is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Really looking forward to playing around with Swift

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Still no news on Apple TV. Really expected some software news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

This Craig Ferrighi guy with the George Clooney hair like to be the wacky exec type.

He's been the star of the last few Apple events. Very charamastic and enthusiastic. The new management team seem to be killing it the last year.

Have to say, iOS 8 has some great additions, with Extensions is probably the biggest feature. The one thing that has drawn me to Android was the ability to pick and choose what app I want to edit a document, save to a particular cloud provider, attach a document to an email from a different App, etc. If Extensions is done right, with a bigger screen iPhone in the Autumn, I may consider switching.

Home Automation API + Touch ID API may equal some brilliantly integrated home automation service.

Although a lot of iOS8 is playing catch up with Android. 'Hey Siri', new Spotlight, Autocorrect, option to change keyboards, Widgets, Extensions, iCloud Drive etc was all a catch up to Android. But that certainly isn't a bad thing, it's bringing the best of Android to iOS. Although their Widgets integration did seem a bit half arsed. As did their iCloud Drive. The iOS's integration with OSX does look fantastic though.

But again, I would have liked to see a bit of differentiation with the iPad, and see more new features thrown its way.

Edit: Also had to laugh at all the Bing references. A few years ago, that would have been all Google services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Apple stock price dropping as expected. Probably fuelled by those who expected iPhone 6 & iWatch today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I'm not starting anything.

I'm happy as an Android user, happy with my Freedom.

Just as someone who is interested in general tech the fact that I can't watch it is ridiculous.

My solution to not being interested in a platform is not to watch dev conferences on that platform and not to comment on Android forums. That's weird.

lol. Freedom.

Still no news on Apple TV. Really expected some software news.

It's funny. They could kill with an iOS platform if what they say is true about the A7 and metal. But that's probably another event.

My solution to not being interested in a platform is not to watch dev conferences on that platform and not to comment on Android forums. That's weird.

lol. Freedom.
    I never said I'm not interested in Apple, I said I'm a general tech fan.

And yes, Android is more free but some people say less secure.

A lot of the features announced are catch up with Android expect the pick up where you left off thing, that's really cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It's funny. They could kill with an iOS platform if what they say is true about the A7 and metal. But that's probably another event.

Yeah that's my thoughts on the matter. I thought with Amazon releasing the Fire TV that Apple would respond, but I guess we have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Dman001 wrote: »
    Although a lot of iOS8 is playing catch up with Android. 'Hey Siri', new Spotlight, Autocorrect, option to change keyboards, Widgets, Extensions, iCloud Drive etc was all a catch up to Android. But that certainly isn't a bad thing, it's bringing the best of Android to iOS.

Yep. Twitter has lots of same comments. Looks like Cooke thinks Android is a beta for iOS. Apple doesn't want to innovate anymore: it's tweaks and integration and ecosystem and smoothness. Moto launches this Summer and Apple follows with a similar device in Autumn. The new world order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Apple stock price dropping as expected. Probably fuelled by those who expected iPhone 6 & iWatch today.

Dont know why ...WWDC is what it says WorldWide Developers Conference

To think that a new iPhone or iWatch would be announced is just stupid.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,929 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sounds like Apple is following, not leading.

Dont know why ...WWDC is what it says WorldWide Developers Conference

To think that a new iPhone or iWatch would be announced is just stupid.

Not exactly stupid. A new iPhone has been announced at WWDC before. I wasn't saying I was one of those people btw but it was clear that a lot of people were expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I wasn't saying I was one of those people btw.

I know .. ;)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Guess this is the R.I.P. to iPhone 4 in terms of iOS support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

That is some innovation; being able to recieve an SMS or take a call on your iPad or Mac.

The public beta programme limited to the first 1M sign ups for Yosemite

• Advertisement

I never said I'm not interested in Apple, I said I'm a general tech fan.

And yes, Android is more free but some people say less secure.

A lot of the features announced are catch up with Android expect the pick up where you left off thing, that's really cool.

Fair enough. I missed the bit where you said you might buy an iPhone 6. Apple forums sometimes get trolls but you seem genuinely cross platform.

Yep. Twitter has lots of same comments. Looks like Cooke thinks Android is a beta for iOS. Apple doesn't want to innovate anymore: it's tweaks and integration and ecosystem and smoothness. Moto launches this Summer and Apple follows with a similar device in Autumn. The new world order.

Most of that is Android fans seeing trivial parts of the OS at a high level as the OS.

Apple have also written a new damn language if not two ( not sure if metal is a language or not. ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is there a hardware conference ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Guess this is the R.I.P. to iPhone 4 in terms of iOS support.
    The phone has got over 3 years support, which is very good. No other manufacturer would provide such support for a device.

Apple posted an iBook of Swift for those interested:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/swift-programming-language/id881256329?mt=11&at=10l3N7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

So when are we going to see these released ? My network was choppy & I kept missing bits :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The share price is down 0.87% which is nothing.

Share prices go up and down every day you know?

No one was expecting hardware announcements today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Is there a new Apple TV coming out?

Fair enough. I missed the bit where you said you might buy an iPhone 6. Apple forums sometimes get trolls but you seem genuinely cross platform.

Not a problem, I understand what you mean.

This and the Android forum can be very volatile.

The share price is down 0.87% which is nothing.

Share prices go up and down every day you know?

No one was expecting hardware announcements today.

It has been rising over the last week. Don't act so pedantic. If you believe nobody expected a hardware announcement, good for you. There have been hardware announcements at most WWDC's through the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Overheal wrote: »
    Sounds like Apple is following, not leading.

A lot of us here like what Android is doing.

Except we don't like Android, nor do we like the hardware the manufacturers are releasing.

Now we can have our cake and eat it too. :D

Advertisement