Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces WWDC 14 (June 2-6)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

TBH, I was kinda surprised my iPad 3 was getting supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

patmac wrote: »
    So does this mean that I wont be able to get any of these new features on my 4, it's a bit mean as I only have the phone over a year and wont be able to afford the €600 or whatever it will cost for the 6, I am sure a lot of people are in the same situation. Might have to go back to android for better value on my next upgrade.

Do older android phones support the latest OS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Do older android phones support the latest OS?

That would depend on the spec of the phone. Some do, some don't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Aodhagan wrote: »
    It does run iOS 8 but that will be the last it runs. What Android phone released in 2010 is running the latest version?

A good proportion of the newest Android phones don't run the current version never mind the ones released in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

It does run iOS 8 but that will be the last it runs. What Android phone released in 2010 is running the latest version?

Nope. Only the iPhone 4S and iPad 3 (and newer) will run iOS 8. Check apples website. I think it's at the bottom of the iOS 8 preview page. I'm only stating fact. I recently sold my iPhone 4 and it was ridiculously slow running a watered down version of iOS 7. We'd all like our phones to last forever but the hardware just can keep up with the software. I've used plenty of android phones and I can tell you that there's very few that will run the newest software smoothly based on 4 year old hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

colmulhall wrote: »
    Nope. Only the iPhone 4S and iPad 3 (and newer) will run iOS 8. Check apples website. I think it's at the bottom of the iOS 8 preview page. I'm only stating fact. I recently sold my iPhone 4 and it was ridiculously slow running a watered down version of iOS 7. We'd all like our phones to last forever but the hardware just can keep up with the software. I've used plenty of android phones and I can tell you that there's very few that will run the newest software smoothly based on 4 year old hardware.

Eh stating fact? Check the iOS8 page again. Supporting the following:

iPad 2
    iPad with
    Retina display
    iPad Air
    iPad mini
    iPad mini with
    Retina display

patmac wrote: »
    4 years wow, it's ancient :rolleyes: I suppose the Ipad 2 will not support ios 8 either.

4 years is a long time in tech ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

I doubt there is any android phone that was released in 2010 and it runs the latest stock version of android.

kaerobe wrote: »
    Eh stating fact? Check the iOS8 page again. Supporting the following:

iPad 2
    iPad with
    Retina display
    iPad Air
    iPad mini
    iPad mini with
    Retina display

*I missed iPad 2 sorry*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

nice to see this keynote, long since swapped away from iOS but still very interesting. Been reading the Swift handbook, does anyone know if it'll be possible to code in swift on windows? or do i need to use xcode and ios?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

*I missed iPad 2 sorry*

Should probably do more research before you try call someone out for being wrong in future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Cheers for replies, I'm not going to install it on me iPhone will put it on iPad Mini and see how device operates.

Should probably do more research before you try call someone out for being wrong in future :)

On a side note, the iPad 2 is getting a long life by Apple standards. They only stopped selling it last year I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

On a side note, the iPad 2 is getting a long life by Apple standards. They only stopped selling it last year I think?

They were selling it up to March when they brought back the 4th gen iPad instead.

It will have supported 5 versions of iOS come the 8's release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Cheers for replies, I'm not going to install it on me iPhone will put it on iPad Mini and see how device operates.

Pretty buggy on iPad. Haven't heard about iPhone yet.

They were selling it up to March when they brought back the 4th gen iPad instead.

It will have supported 5 versions of iOS come the 8's release.

I can't imagine that it runs iOS 7/8 very well. My iPad 3 struggles with iOS 7 as it is :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Yeah, couple apps arent working for me, mainly Tweetbot ( 3 sometimes, 2 never ), 1password. But thems the breaks with beta OSs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not polished enough for day to day use yet

Hence the word beta :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Probably not a great idea to install a beta OS on anything you actually need to use :)

iOS 8 beta 1 running on my 5S, only annoying bug so far is that the photo app crashes when you first open it but then opens fine.

Not polished enough for day to day use yet

What are your initial impressions? Are the quick reply notifications good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Hence the word beta :pac:.

Don't be that guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

naasrd wrote: »
    Don't be that guy.

No, better to be the guy who installs a beta os on his daily phone... :p

mad muffin wrote: »
    No, better to be the guy who installs a beta os on his daily phone... :p

lol, this is just like the launch of iOS 7 Beta

and iOS 6 Beta

and iOS5...........

:D

Graham wrote: »
    lol, this is just like the launch of iOS 7 Beta

and iOS 6 Beta

and iOS5...........

:D

And then it's like, how do I down grade. Why are all the apps crashing and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Well yeah, but previous initial betas for 6 and 7 for example where mostly grand to use on primary devices, this not so much yet!

You know what I meant :)

Yep, this. I don't remember beta 1 of iOS 7 being this buggy, which is unusual. Seems almost like alpha software because a lot of stuff just doesn't work - splitting keyboard gives a crash, spotlight refuses to bring up a keyboard, and that's all before the really new stuff.

I planned on giving this a whirl on my iPhone until a friend was showing it to me on his 5S and it crashed several times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

When will their new Cloud prices come into effect?

Waiting to get 20GB for €$0.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Some interesting words here from Joshua Topolsky on the Apple event last night:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/6/3/5776030/meet-the-new-apple

For the most, I fully agree with what he says, especially about breaking down barriers for users with Extensions, TouchID API, third-party keyboards, etc. I really think they are going after Android users with iOS8 and aiming to convert them.

I wonder if it will be €0.89 for us?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dman001 wrote: »
    Some interesting words here from Joshua Topolsky on the Apple event last night:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/6/3/5776030/meet-the-new-apple

For the most, I fully agree with what he says, especially about breaking down barriers for users with Extensions, TouchID API, third-party keyboards, etc. I really think they are going after Android users with iOS8 and aiming to convert them.

They definitely are, but nearly entirely by copying vast swathes of android, whatsapp, snapchat and other camera app features etc. along with copying the move to bigger handsets later this year.

It's good to see for people who want to stick with apple devices, but hopefully apple the,selves will stop nattering on about people copying their ideas at last!

• Advertisement

Still €32/yr for 5GB + 20GB even on a Beta iOS 8 device. :(

Advertisement