Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which laptop should I get? Sony or Dell? Specs listed. Help really appreciated!

Options
  • 03-04-2014 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

The Sony VAIO Fit15E one

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME558N077

The Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series one

http://www.dell.com/ie/business/p/inspiron-15-7537/pd?oc=sbn15720&id=9510585c-ff2d-43b7-9c51-112d6bb4b71a&c=ie&l=en&s=bsd&cs=iebsdt1

The specs are clearly listed. (I hope I'm allowed post links here apologies if I'm not)

The main difference I see is the Sony has less memory (but you can add more to the Sony, not sure about the Dell) and the processor is an Intel Core i3 vs the Dell which has an Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor (Is there a big difference between these 2 processors? My current HP laptop has an i5 processor so if I got the Sony with the i3 would there be a big difference?) Even though the specs on the Dell seem a bit better (to me anyway but I'm no expert) most people I ask seem to still recommend the Sony over the Dell since they say Sony are better for laptops in general but since I've never owned either brand before I'm not sure. Originally I had have my heart set on the Sony one until I came across that Dell one and it seems pretty good and got a few good reviews so now I'm stuck!

I'd really appreciate some help because I should buy one this week yet I'm still undecided. I have a work laptop so this is really for home use but I want it to be fast and powerful enough for movies/photos/streaming/basic programming etc. Being quick and not lagging is the most important thing to me I don't want it to slow down drastically when I add programs to it etc. I'm not an expert on specs so if anyone could give a quick glance through them and tell me what you would buy if it were you I'd appreciate it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Of those 2 options the Dell is the most impressive spec. 6GB RAM, i5processor and 750GB Hard Drive versus the Sony which has only 4GB RAM, i3 processor and 500GB Hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Dell, in addition to higher specs + FHD screen the build quality superior too.
    Down side is that screen is non-touch but that said upcoming update to Win8.1 expected to re-introduce more keyboard/mouse friendly features (i.e. win7 feel)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ElleElleB

I thought the Dell one had a touch screen it says "LED Backlit Touch Display"?

All the others in the Inspiron 15 7000 range are all touch. Also for some reason that model isn't appearing in the for home use section anymore on the dell website it's now only available when you click on the for business use section if you see what I mean. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference if I order it from the business or home use section of the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Elle,

Yes the Dell appears to have a touchscreen, win 8.1, i5, 6GB , 750Gb HD and an aluminium chassis. Also I can tell you the reviews have been very favourable for this laptop, as I have been researching them and have just ordered something similar myself i.e. Dell 15.6,touch,1080p, i7,16gb ram, 1TB (8gb) HD, 2Gb video card, etc (E-Value Code: cn75316) for euro 938 incl vat.

I have had a few dells in my time and have never had any issue with any of them whatsoever. In fact I 'd go further and say that I am currently penning this on a 8 year old laptop that while originally speced well, is still going strong and will be good for a few years yet and I use it everyday!

Having said that, mrs Daithi has a Sony Vaoi and the build quality and feel of it has always really impressed me, as do the other Sonys that I've seen on display. They are aesthetically prettier than most.

Advertisement