Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 5 + 6), April 4-7, 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

overshoot wrote: »
    Badly lacking our strikers tonight but gave a good account. Dunno how josh mailey was sent off, got the ball & shels fan infront turned straight around and said that was harsh.
    Not 2-0, draw or shels edging the 1-0 would have been fair enough.
    Wasnt sure on the shels peno but iv been told by harps fans it was so :(

First division is a good step up this year tho, Galway, shels harps(providing we dont fall off like last year) adding to the competitiveness.
    I thought you were poor enough to be honest. Just pumping everything into the box in hope. With us having 2 teenage centre backs, it may have gotten you somewhere on another night, but I wasn't overly impressed and definitely wouldn't have considered Harps worthy of a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Badly lacking our strikers tonight but gave a good account. Dunno how josh mailey was sent off, got the ball & shels fan infront turned straight around and said that was harsh.

First division is a good step up this year tho, Galway, shels harps(providing we dont fall off like last year) adding to the competitiveness.

It wasn't a hard challenge but he went in studs up and caught McDonagh. It was a stonewall penalty too but I agree that 2-0 was harsh on Harps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Was never a red, a free was generous, he got the ball. The tackle by the Shels player in the corner late on was worse. Harps very toothless going forward, need McHugh back asap.

fullstop wrote: »
    Was never a red, a free was generous, he got the ball. The tackle by the Shels player in the corner late on was worse. Harps very toothless going forward, need McHugh back asap.

It was a red as it was dangerous, doesn't matter if he got the ball or not. The tackle in the corner was late and maybe lazy but neither malicious or dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ugh!!! That was a tough night at Richmond Park! :( :mad:

Brennan although top class in a good team is no good when losing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Il admit I left my glasses behind as im on the beer so if studs up fair enough, I was down the end of the main stand with the main group of harpers. good view but would have missed that, seen he got the ball, so thats what I based it on.
    In fairness I did forecast we wouldnt go too offensive, our 3 strikers injured! Tiofack
    Is definitely not a replacement for them. As much as I dont rate Mcveighs finishing,I thought he would have been a better choice

dan1895 wrote: »
    It was a red as it was dangerous, doesn't matter if he got the ball or not. The tackle in the corner was late and maybe lazy but neither malicious or dangerous.

Wasn't dangerous. If the studs were up, fair enough...but they weren't. And that lad wasn't on long enough to be making lazy tackles :D

Wasn't dangerous. If the studs were up, fair enough...but they weren't. And that lad wasn't on long enough to be making lazy tackles :D
    They were up. You can moan all you want about it, but footage will come along and prove you wrong on this.

CSF wrote: »
    They were up. You can moan all you want about it, but footage will come along and prove you wrong on this.

Moan? Where did I moan? I''m giving my opinion the same as you're giving yours. It happened right in front of me and even the Shels fans around us said it wasn't a red.

• Advertisement

Moan? Where did I moan? I''m giving my opinion the same as you're giving yours. It happened right in front of me and even the Shels fans around us said it wasn't a red.

Jesus the ones infront of us & couldnt see if the studs were up so be a.... If u want
    Edit- and he started the game so add that **** in as u like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'll get John to get the ShelsTV highlights up asap, put the handbags away.....

I'll get John to get the ShelsTV highlights up asap, put the handbags away.....

Its his first posts as a harper if he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just blitzed Rovers from start to finish tonight. Fantastic atmosphere and the players rose to it. Really, really surprised at the complete lack of reaction from Rovers players when going 1 and 2 down, just seemed happy enough to pass it amongst the defenders, into midfield and then back to defenders again before pumping it forward where Dan Murray ate them up all night.

Could have been 5 or 6 really. Mark O'Sullivan absolutely tortured Kenna and McGuinness all night, and despite the ref doing his best to book all City players in the first half, it was actually less nervous at 1-0, 2-0 and 3-0 than I ever thought it would be, coasted to a win in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Corholio wrote: »
    Just blitzed Rovers from start to finish tonight. Fantastic atmosphere and the players rose to it. Really, really surprised at the complete lack of reaction from Rovers players when going 1 and 2 down, just seemed happy enough to pass it amongst the defenders, into midfield and then back to defenders again before pumping it forward where Dan Murray ate them up all night.

Could have been 5 or 6 really. Mark O'Sullivan absolutely tortured Kenna and McGuinness all night, and despite the ref doing his best to book all City players in the first half, it was actually less nervous at 1-0, 2-0 and 3-0 than I ever thought it would be, coasted to a win in the end.

Never thought I would see the day against them that once we scored the 2nd I felt it was over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Shamrock Rovers fans should be home at this stage I say.

Heavy defeat, heaviest there in 10-15 years I'd say. Still 10 points out of 15 is ok.

UCD becomes a very big game. 10/11 points out of 18 is becoming not ok...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Athlone are ****e so we should stay up. Derry were poor but we were worse. Same story as every other week.

Squad is too light. Missing Peers, Conneely, Cretaro, Djilali and North tonight. Brought on a centre back and a debutant from the u19s when we were chasing a goal. Literally no other options. Don't think a single one of this seasons new signings is any good either.

Enjoyed the trip anyway. Its easier when you go expecting to lose..

Derry actually beat Sligo? :eek::eek:

That hasn't happened in 100 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sore one to take tonight but it's about how the team will come out of it. Like dfx said, Monday is a biggish game now. To give Croly some credit, the best team is still being picked albeit Waters/Shep and McPhail coming in for Robbo and SOC.

Presumably Bolger and Brennan out for Friday against Rovers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was worried about tonight. At same time I was cautiously optimistic, but I had a feeling we could have been brought back down to earth tonight it not up to scratch.

If somebody had said a team would win 3-0, beforehand, I have been convinced it would be Rovers.

We are not missing Elding or Morrisery which is hard to believe.

Its still very early days. Once we get beat it will be the reaction of those games that will tell a lot imo.

Great start, but league is a marathon, not a sprint.

Great to have 5500+ tonight again. Expect 4,000ish for Sligo game

Raf32 wrote: »
    Out of interest whats the record low points in the league?

Kilkenny in 97/98 I think..something like 5 points...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Pats were very flat last night. Dundalk made a show of them in the second half. Killian Brennan would want to get his head up and see what's on instead of trying something fancy & avoidable. He's been at it since the Presidents Cup.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs were absolute rubbish tonight. Robbed Bray of 2 points at the death. Defense as bad as it has been all season and completely flat going forward. Heary better get the finger out or Athlone will be picking up their first points on Monday.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bohs were absolute rubbish tonight. Robbed Bray of 2 points at the death. Defense as bad as it has been all season and completely flat going forward. Heary better get the finger out or Athlone will be picking up their first points on Monday.

Was the keeper sending off deserved? I know Jake Kelly is out now with fractured ankle and ligament trouble, just don't want to assume it's bad tackle!

Also, listening to Truckfighters....yes, unreal stuff!

I dunno about wonder goal, how many of those passes are to the defender and back?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mushy wrote: »
    Was the keeper sending off deserved? I know Jake Kelly is out now with fractured ankle and ligament trouble, just don't want to assume it's bad tackle!

Also, listening to Truckfighters....yes, unreal stuff!

Need to see it again really, was madness in the box. Seems like Delaney came for the ball, missed it and flattened Jake Kelly, while he was twisting to control the ball. I'm not convinced he was in control if the ball, and if so shouldn't have been a red. Happened very fast though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I dunno about wonder goal, how many of those passes are to the defender and back?

FFS if that was Barca, Bayern etc ya would be **** over it

So only passes forward count, thats good logic

I wouldn't, it's not that only forward passed count, it's just that about 85-90% of the passes aren't really that constructive or probing and stretching the other team all over the place which is what people normally wow over when talking about flowing passing moves.

It is good ball retention of course, good style of football, but wondergoal would be stretching it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That Dundalk goal is fantastic. I remember everyone creaming themselves when Estaban Cambiasso scored a similar one at the World Cup. Only difference here is that the one in Richmond had a better finish. To do it in the 93rd minute is just coolness personified.

I dunno if I agree with ScienceNerd, thought Bohs were well worth the point, played 3/4's of the game with ten men. Bray just parked the bus in the second half. Anyway I don't give a rats, last minute equalisers always feel great. Hope Jake Kelly is alright, a good player and that's never nice to see.

I wouldn't, it's not that only forward passed count, it's just that about 85-90% of the passes aren't really that constructive or probing and stretching the other team all over the place which is what people normally wow over when talking about flowing passing moves.

It is good ball retention of course, good style of football, but wondergoal would be stretching it a lot.

So you can rule out an awful lot of Barcelona s "free flowing goals" as the majority of their passes in all attacks are not constructive, probing or stretching the other side really.
    This is going to win goal of the season unless someone comes up with something pretty special

• Advertisement

So you can rule out an awful lot of Barcelona s "free flowing goals" as the majority of their passes in all attacks are not constructive, probing or stretching the other side really.
    This is going to win goal of the season unless someone comes up with something pretty special
    Not a big fan of Barca's play personally. I'll take the likes of Real and City quicker who ping the ball about equally well but at a higher tempo in more dangerous areas. From a viewing perspective anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

There's a reason why the speed of the video is quickened up. It's impressive they kept the ball yeah, but I don't think Pats are even bothered to get close to the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It wasn't a wonder goal. That was scored in injury time when the game was over and Dundalk were passing it about waiting for the ref to blow it up. The Pat's players were letting them pass it about as they knew the game was over which really annoyed me. I was standing there thinking 'at least someone make an effort to put a tackle in'.

If it was nil all on the hour and they scored that where the Pat's players couldn't get at them, fair dues. But goal of the season is nonsense stuff. Lovely finish from Gannon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Absolute clusterfúck of a game last night in Dalymount. Dreadful performance all round. Bray can certainly play when they want to. We were horrendous though. Pumping long balls to absolutely nobody over and over again when the simple pass is always on.

Badly need to improve for Monday and next week's game.

Ref and linesman on the near side were horrendous. We've had terrible luck with shít officiating this season.

Happy we didn't lose but an absolutely frustrating game to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Shels v Harps goals

lol at what happens after Shels' first goal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ah here, I enjoyed the goal as much as anybody but goal of the season? As said already the Pats players had given up at that stage and while the goal was well worked and brilliantly finished it was nowhere near goal of the season material.

Anyway, great night for Dundalk and that opening day defeat to Drogs is well and truly a distant memory at this stage. By far the better team last night. Quigley had a stinker for Pats, Brennan was in one of his moods and bar Forrester they didn't really get going all evening.

Shels v Harps goals

lol at what happens after Shels' first goal :D

Ha didn't notice that at the time. He was down for a fair bit getting treatment too.

Jesus the ones infront of us & couldnt see if the studs were up so be a.... If u want
    Edit- and he started the game so add that **** in as u like
    What?
    Its his first posts as a harper if he is

Didn't realise I had to register my interest to you. And we wonder why LOI struggles to attract fans :rolleyes: Haven't noticed an 'overshoot' on any of the harps forums that I've been on for the past 10 years. And maybe try a quick search of my posts on here and you'll see it's far from my first post about them on here, example http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75350729

sorry lad, possibly a bit too tipsy when i posed that! took the "he wasnt on long enough to be making lazy tackles :D" as a pot shot and i had my mind made up!
    any dont worry im on harpstalk ;) and the predecessors

• Advertisement

sorry lad, possibly a bit too tipsy when i posed that! took the "he wasnt on long enough to be making lazy tackles :D" as a pot shot and i had my mind made up!
    any dont worry im on harpstalk ;) and the predecessors

That was about the Shels number 20 who made the late tackle over in the corner at the end. He was only on about 5 mins ;)

well i blame the alcohol, took it being for josh maileys, could count on 1 hand the amount of times that iv been on the beer this year... paying for it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

970158_10151941351356886_985434693_n.jpg

Credit to Peadar O'Sullivan for the photo and the Commandos for the display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Spanked well last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Athlone attempted a comeback against Drogs last night after their defenders had decided that the game was won and were contemplating Heineken.

Need to pick up 3 points against Bohs on Monday although I feel that might be a tad optimistic but even 1 point would stop the rot and get off the ground. Already looking like certs for relegation but might catch a few teams coming to Lissywollen thinking that we're easy fodder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    970158_10151941351356886_985434693_n.jpg

Credit to Peadar O'Sullivan for the photo and the Commandos for the display.

And there was me thinking nobody in Cork had a sense of humour. :pac:

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    That Dundalk goal is fantastic. I remember everyone creaming themselves when Estaban Cambiasso scored a similar one at the World Cup. Only difference here is that the one in Richmond had a better finish. To do it in the 93rd minute is just coolness personified.

Against ten disinterested men and 1-3 up. Twigg's goal in 2011 against them in Tallaght was the only goal of the game in stifling heat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Limerick FC v Cork City game Monday off as pitch in Thomond requires work after todays rugby game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Absolute madness that Cork and Limerick is on a Monday night anyway. Limerick would surely much rather that fixture was on a Friday night to maximise the crowd for that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dfx- wrote: »
    Kilkenny in 97/98 I think..something like 5 points...

Think it was just two points (and in the First), but it was different season to 97/98 as they were in the Prem that season.

Not sure what the lowest for the Prem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Absolute madness that Cork and Limerick is on a Monday night anyway. Limerick would surely much rather that fixture was on a Friday night to maximise the crowd for that game.

Absolutely embarrassing for Limerick though that they cant honor the fixture. Theres currently no rules in place but in future, if the home team cannot hold the game when not weather related, then home advantage should be given to the other team. Game should be on at the Cross tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement