Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 5 + 6), April 4-7, 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

CHealy wrote: »
    Absolutely embarrassing for Limerick though that they cant honor the fixture. Theres currently no rules in place but in future, if the home team cannot hold the game when not weather related, then home advantage should be given to the other team. Game should be on at the Cross tomorrow night.

Would agree with this. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I would say even with the rugby match on at the weekend it couldn't be any worse of a surface than the Derry game a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

So who has made the decision about the pitch? Limerick or Munster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Tough one for drogs tonight . Sligo are gonna win one soon but hopefully we can remain unbeaten for as long as possible . Few players out injured for Sligo by all accounts . We owe you one for robbing us in the cup final LOL !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

markc1184 wrote: »
    Limerick and Thomond Park grounds staff

http://www.limerickfc.ie/munster-derby-off-mondays-game-postponed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Amazingly Drogs could go top tonight with a win. No idea how they are so high up the league as they have a fairly average squad. Still scratching my head at that opening day 4-1 victory over Dundalk. Reckon they'll finish 5th or 6th in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Forgive me, but who is their manager this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Tough one for drogs tonight . Sligo are gonna win one soon but hopefully we can remain unbeaten for as long as possible . Few players out injured for Sligo by all accounts . We owe you one for robbing us in the cup final LOL !
    I don't know if we are going to win one soon. We can't score. Missing open goals every week.

And yeah we're missing a good few, same as every single game since the start of 2012.

gimmick wrote: »
    Forgive me, but who is their manager this season?
    Drogheda's? Robbie Horgan. He was assistant to Mick Cooke last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

markc1184 wrote: »

I'd imagine the IRFU as it's their stadium, along with agreement from the FAI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Athlone have to win eventually, I've a bad feeling it could be tonight

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Pighead wrote: »
    Amazingly Drogs could go top tonight with a win. No idea how they are so high up the league as they have a fairly average squad. Still scratching my head at that opening day 4-1 victory over Dundalk. Reckon they'll finish 5th or 6th in the end.

5th or 6th would be great with another cup run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Athlone have to win eventually, I've a bad feeling it could be tonight

I guarantee you we wont :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Think it was just two points (and in the First), but it was different season to 97/98 as they were in the Prem that season.

Not sure what the lowest for the Prem is.

Got the year wrong, I was thinking of the year Bohs won there on the final day to collect the league so 2001 or so.

They picked up 9 points that season, most of which they got in the first few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

And there was me thinking nobody in Cork had a sense of humour. :pac:
    A mere statement of fact in that banner, my friend:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

compo1 wrote: »
    To be fair, you're not wrong. Definitely not the second incarnation. Which one was that? Hibs? Celtic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

compo1 wrote: »

In the context of Munster, probably. :)

Did Waterford get money for Sean Maguire? Jesus hes awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

AgileMyth wrote: »

How are Sligo playing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Dunno how Rovers haven't scored. Hit the woodwork twice and O'Donnell made two fantastic saves. Few half chances for us. Long second half ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Athlone are basically doomed already. This is what happens when you run a club in the premier division like a first division club. It's a first division squad mainly with a few lads from Drogheda last year and they pay first division wages. Roddy was right last season when he said on national television that major overhaul would be needed to make us survive and he was right to go, he knew they were going to keep running it like they were and we'd be straight back down.

3-0 to Dundalk. Really enjoyable second half. Towell's goal was beautiful. Counter attacking at it's finest. In saying all that it was the worst Derry performance I've seen in Oriel Park in a long time. Ryan McBride had a bad injury in the first half for Derry. Game was stopped for 12 minutes. Apparently he swallowed his tongue. Hopefully he's ok.

Just back from the town match. Thought we were unlucky not to pick up a point. Relegation wrote all over the team though, cant see where any points will come from. Real stale approach, no support upfront for gorman and team riddled with simple individual errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Nice to get 3 points on the board away from home. Need to sort out our home form with a win V Limerick on Friday.

Will be interested to hear how we played because to be honest we've been serving up some utter dross for ourselves lately.

Jesus that was hard to watch. The only good thing was we kept the score down. Couldn't have complained if Rovers got 5 or 6 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

spiralism wrote: »
    Athlone are basically doomed already. This is what happens when you run a club in the premier division like a first division club. It's a first division squad mainly with a few lads from Drogheda last year and they pay first division wages. Roddy was right last season when he said on national television that major overhaul would be needed to make us survive and he was right to go, he knew they were going to keep running it like they were and we'd be straight back down.

Clubs need this attitude all around. It's not about running the club for a premier or first division team, it's about running a sustainable model. The board obviously felt they didnt have the means to pay over the odds and sign a host of players.

As for tonights game, good win, not sure how we didnt score more. UCD looked dangerous on the counter but we were just too much. Finn's strike that hit the cross bar would have been an amazing goal. Was Brennans going wide and the keeper deflected it in, split opinion in the stand.

3 points, well in. Another goal for Jayo is great to see too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Back from the Rovers match. Lots of positives - even though we looked a bit vulnerable defensively without Robbo in the centre - but the most striking thing is the atmosphere.

Last year, we went to UCD, played excellently up until the final ball, still made lots of chances but didn't take them, and ended up getting stung twice on the counter-attack for 2-0. It was really horrible - players and fans all turning on each other. This time, despite making loads of chances, we came in at 0-0, but the crowd stayed supportive and the players kept working for each other too.

I genuinely think the spoilt brat fans are staying at home, and Crolly has shipped a lot of the poisonous characters out of the squad. Even Gary McCabe is playing with a rocket up his backside. First time in ages that I really look forward to Rovers games.

• spiralism wrote: »
    Spot on with you post. Im from Athlone but can't claim to support but any of my buddy's that attend the matches felt the exact same way you do. Very disapointing.
    By the way what score it finish up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Spot on with you post. Im from Athlone but can't claim to support but any of my buddy's that attend the matches felt the exact same way you do. Very disapointing.
    By the way what score it finish up?

Lost 3-1 to Bohs

• Advertisement

Comprehensive win as 2-0 wins go...but could so easily have ended up like so many other games with UCD, 1-1.

Zayed would get a fair amount of abuse for missing the chances Kilduff did, but I very much enjoyed the Finn masterclass, he was in a different league in the second half. SOC has to be dumped to the bench, somewhere around Bayly's level.

Hope Finn is fit for Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Athlone fans would prefer to pay wages the club can't afford for a couple of season in the PD, then go bust?

What planet are these kids from?

Athlone's own goal last night

https://vine.co/v/M5a50AqMLxl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Planet Premiership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Planet Premiership?

planet instant gratification, the mind boggles with these kind of opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

dfx- wrote: »
    Zayed would get a fair amount of abuse for missing the chances Kilduff did

Zayed got a fair amount of abuse without kicking a ball! There was one brilliant moment when he headed back to the dugout after a warm-up jog, a fan yelled out "ah you're knackered already Zayed, go and have a rest!" Think I even saw a flicker of a smile from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

The result in Sligo last night has been forgotten about after a hideous challenge on Austin mc Cann by Henderson which resulted in a double leg break . He was last man and dived in with 2 feet off the ground to break ozzies leg . We could hear the snap from the stand . It really was a horrible sight and sound . Ref gives him a poxy yellow card , he booked several drogs players for nothing during the game and some how he deemed this to be the same regardless of the Henderson being the last man , 2 footed challenge and the leg break . Really angry at poxy rte for not even mentioning it last night ?

Athlone fans would prefer to pay wages the club can't afford for a couple of season in the PD, then go bust?

Nope defo dont want to pay high wages. Thats why im glad we let Roddy walk, we would be out of existence had he stayed imo. Rather this with Cooke, get a few wins and build for the first division next year

The result in Sligo last night has been forgotten about after a hideous challenge on Austin mc Cann by Henderson which resulted in a double leg break . He was last man and dived in with 2 feet off the ground to break ozzies leg . We could hear the snap from the stand . It really was a horrible sight and sound . Ref gives him a poxy yellow card , he booked several drogs players for nothing during the game and some how he deemed this to be the same regardless of the Henderson being the last man , 2 footed challenge and the leg break . Really angry at poxy rte for not even mentioning it last night ?
    Horrible injury, very sorry for the guy. But you're hugely exaggerating the challenge. He caught him with his shoulder when he was already on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

:confused:

From what I saw of the incident Henderson slipped and it was his upper body that McCann collided with, it was almost the complete opposite of a two footed tackle.

Just seen the post above saying something similar, so I'm not going crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Sorry to hear about this.Awful stuff.
    RTE though had probably only just recieved the images that they broadcast and indeed i'd say it was a first for the show to be able to get the goals from the grounds last night with no splicing or cuts and they put them on very raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

geeky wrote: »
    and Crolly has shipped a lot of the poisonous characters out of the squad.

Hasn't shipped them far either. :pac:

Enjoyed the game last night. Hit the wood 4 times which gives an idea of the possession. The players are all working very hard, even the likes of McCabe, which is great to see. Some people actually think McPhail looks slow as if you have to huff and puff to be a good deep midfielder. Some of his subtle touches and passing were sweet. Bring in Waters for SOC and that should be the first choice team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

spiralism wrote: »

So instead he came up to us and looks like he is playing football to take us down !:mad:

CSF wrote: »
    To be fair, you're not wrong. Definitely not the second incarnation. Which one was that? Hibs? Celtic?
    Hibs and Celtic were different clubs, long gone now. You're not very good at history.:p
    BTW, in case you're referring to a fiction which some rival fans spread, Cork City Football Club, since 1984, have never ceased operations.

In the context of Munster, probably. :)
    Still top of the league:P

planet instant gratification, the mind boggles with these kind of opinions.
    Any fans who think that the "speculate to accumulate" business model is the one to follow after seeing how many clubs have gone to the brink of extinction in recent years must be really deluded.

AgileMyth wrote: »

He was awful in Tallaght, where did Sligo get him from? Up north?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

West Ham

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

West Ham. We (West Ham) got him a couple of years ago from Waterford. His only flirt with the first team was the bench in the 5-0 hammering to Forest in the cup. Was hoping he would come good but it obviously isn't looking great.

• Advertisement

On loan from a club in the EPL. A lot of posters on here would think that makes him automatically better than everyone here.

If he could finish we'd have been four up before Drogheda scored. If Russell could finish we'd have been six up.

If Danny North doesn't get back and hit form soon it'll be a long season. Greene has been quality the last few games though, I'd have him up front.

Advertisement