Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city tri

Options
  • 03-04-2014 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Does the Dublin city tri sell out fast normally ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

noc231073 wrote: »
    Does the Dublin city tri sell out fast normally ?

Entries available close to date last year (and last year hosted national champs). Race has a large capacity. Although you never know.......... Don't blame me if it sells out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

I competed in the super sprint last year and got an email saying only 200 entries left... Fantastic race though I didn't think that at the time, wouldn't be the fittest so boy was I tired after it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Anybody know if they have a standby list for cancellations? I sent them a message on FB but didn't get a reply. I was busy preparing for Challenge Roth & forgot to enter before it sold out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Put up a post on their fb page and you might get a reply from someone who can't take part.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Put up a post on their fb page and you might get a reply from someone who can't take part.

Thanks. I got a reply from them but all they said was they are fully booked & nothing about race transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

PWEI wrote: »
    Thanks. I got a reply from them but all they said was they are fully booked & nothing about race transfers.

I have an entry for sale if they will allow transfers.

I have an entry for sale if they will allow transfers.

I'd buy it off you if they allow transfers but I don't think they do.
    As far as I know they only offer refunds up to a certain date.

Maybe you could drop them an email & ask them if you could transfer your entry.
    You never know.

http://www.dublincitytriathlon.com/contact-us

I'd buy it off you if they allow transfers but I don't think they do.
    As far as I know they only offer refunds up to a certain date.

Maybe you could drop them an email & ask them if you could transfer your entry.
    You never know.

http://www.dublincitytriathlon.com/contact-us

Have sent them an email already, i will let you know.

No transfers allowed.

• Advertisement

No transfers allowed.

Thanks for trying anyway.

Don't understand why they won't allow transfers. A guy from my club transferred his Lost Sheep entry to me yesterday by simply emailing Cork Tri Club with my details. What's so special about Dublin City Tri that they don't do transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Thanks for trying anyway.

Don't understand why they won't allow transfers. A guy from my club transferred his Lost Sheep entry to me yesterday by simply emailing Cork Tri Club with my details. What's so special about Dublin City Tri that they don't do transfers.

Cork Tri Club stopped taking Lost Sheep transfers today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Brilliant race today, Aaron O'Brien followed by Tomasz Gagola and Aidan Callaghan. Alex Gray in 4th was way down in the swim, unusual for him. He had a great run though. Very well marshalled and organised, one of the best in fact. The bendy bike course seemed to limit the amount of draughting. I was in a later wave so got to see how proper swimmers take on a race... Harris with O'Brien on his tail exited in 18:xx... unreal!

Results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

the best organised and pleasant race ive done. weather was great and i cant fault anything. erdinger and ice cream at the end was a great bonus. im not a big fan of medals but this was a pretty cool one, getting your times straight away was great too. excellent cycle jacket as well made it great value.

lovely swim, nice smooth bike course and not boring like some others. nice half off road run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Piranha nailed it again. Great day, really enjoyed it as usual.
    The 5 laps mean even slow pokes like me get to see the eletes as they flash by all carbon and sperm hats :D . You can pretend you're part of the action, at least until last lap when everyone else is long gone.
    Home again, time for a soak with those STINKING bath salts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

As cjt156 said above. I think this has to be up there with the best if not the best organised tri of the season.
    Plenty of food and grub afterwards aswell.

The Liffey was full of reeds which was a shame it felt like something was trying to drag you down at times.
    What was with the feckin flies on the run?

All in all a great event and look forward to doing it again next year. Well done Piranha tri club.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Well done to Piranha again. 3rd time doing it and the standard of organisation remains excellent. The positive attitude of their volunteers really helped me get around.

I was in Wave 5 and found the swim very busy, took a few hundred metres to get some room. Looking at the results and fellas at the top end were maybe 30secs slower than last year?
    The bike was congested as ever though the first couple of laps were fine & fast, the next two got a bit tricky with slow relay cyclists who generally were'nt as road aware. The last bike lap and the 2nd run were a little lonely given my wave.

My run was disappointing, that cross country bit really slowed me down, the flies did'nt help either. Overall I was a little quicker than last year but short of my target.

And then over the finish line, immediate results, ice cream, medal (ok I dont need a medal but..).

Oh and a cycling jacket which I badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone got any tips for getting off temporary tattoos?

Shave?

My leg one crumbled in the bath (smelly bath with those stinky salts in the goody bag - she told me to use them or lose them) coz it was stuck to my hairs. My arm isnt as manly so I reckon it'll be there for a while.

A chap I swim with had his HOTW ones for a couple of weeks, badge of honour perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Well done DCT. What a great event ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Vaseline or baby oil, according to the instructions. Vaseline worked for me.

Oh, and great job yet again Piranha!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Really enjoyed that, well done DCT & Piranha.

I watched the first 4 or 5 swim waves go off in the Oly, and there's a severe amount of Tri tourists and attention seekers who must feel the spotlight only shines for them. Within 60 seconds of the first wave- no more than that- a very rotund man was grasping on to a kayak out of breath, another was slowly breast-stroking with his head out of water, and a couple more slowly keeping them company. This in the fastest wave, where you had to estimate your swim time. I watched as these lads (blue caps) exited about an hour later having been overtaken by at least three other waves.

There's a mandatory amount of kayaks for safety reasons, and while conditions were good today, these gobshytes who obviously felt they deserved to be in the fastest wave, had taken out two or three of said kayaks for their own solipsism. The vast majority of people in Tri are sound, but the ego on some... sheesh!:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah, someone insisted to me that the waves were 'random'. They were not, well the first one certainly wasn't as it was meant to be elite - surely all 'elites' should be 25 minutes at the slowest? Swim seemed slow though (as an onlooker) one from our club who I'd have expected as 23:xx was 28 though maybe he just had a bad day.

Aaron O'Brien lost his googles and hat in the water and still managed to swim on to get out of the water second!! Impressive. Not sure how I'd react to losing my googles :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Not sure how I'd react to losing my googles :D
    Two years ago I saw a guy swimming who had lost his goggles at the skirmish of the start of the double oly. Only time he could see anything was when he sighted, and his eyes must have been raw doing that. He was a bit all over the place but battling on. I was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Saw that at the first wave off, thought it would end badly. Perhaps novices need to go in the last wave until they have a proven time in a TI swim? Then divide the waves on actual times not self estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    This in the fastest wave, where you had to estimate your swim time.
    There was no estimate on the signup page this year. I noticed as it was the first year I was going to put down a faster (or at least less slow) estimated time. No idea how they divided the waves, it must either have been by age group or peopl ein a club first.

Isn't it better to have them random anyway? If you have a spread of different abilities it will thin itself out naturally over 250m, rahter than if you have 75 people all aiming for 25-30mns it would be very crowded.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    There was no estimate on the signup page this year. I noticed as it was the first year I was going to put down a faster (or at least less slow) estimated time. No idea how they divided the waves, it must either have been by age group or peopl ein a club first.

Isn't it better to have them random anyway? If you have a spread of different abilities it will thin itself out naturally over 250m, rahter than if you have 75 people all aiming for 25-30mns it would be very crowded.

If thats the case I stand corrected: those guys had every right to be there so.

However, I'd be of the view that random waves are unfair to speedsters starting in the later waves, as they encounter increased congestion. It's easier to draught too if the bunches have clear water ahead. Certainly my (later wave 6) Sprint swim was slowed by the congestion coming back.

I was in wave 5 which I was surprised at because I am sub 30. So I compared last years finishers with this years wave 5 and everyone that did both last year and was in wave 5 was over 40. I mentioned this to a relative of the race director and apparently they were a mix of age/ability and randomness. So in Wave 1 the top guys were all there but then there was randomness thrown in (including a few over 40's). The idea I believe (and this is 2nd hand) was to shorten the length of the race overall. If the slowest were all in Wave 5 then the last guy over the line would have been at about a quarter past two. As it happened one the last few guys, a man in his fifties from sunny and flat Floriday came in at about 10 to 2. He was in wave 5 (and found the water freezing).

On a seperate note, Kurt - I think I am reading that you nearly completed the Lough Dan 10k on Saturday and then a wee sprint on Sunday? Fair play to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

My first Olympic and I was turfed in the first wave. I'm only swimming 2 years and this was cruel at best. I did question it once I saw what wave I was in and was told it was to avoid everyone at the same level battering each other the whole way round the course. I can see the reasoning in that but I was one of the slow pokes you mentioned Kurt Godel.

But at registration on Saturday I asked again if I could be put in a later wave and was told not to worry about it. I was passed by the next wave and the first few from the 3rd wave so this could use a little thought. I had warned them I would be dead slow and as I was being passed I spent most of the swim nearer the bank than the middle to stay out of the way. I got the best view of the reeds of anyone out there.

But, loved the bike route and found the run challenging. I normally train on grass for energy sapping runs, but have never raced on it so it was an unusual experience. Made up a bunch of places on the bike and run and learned a lot about my swim. I know it needs work but this just confirmed it.

Advertisement